You are not logged in.

#1 2004-03-19 01:37:22

trey

New to mutt

I'm starting to look at mutt for email to use with my IMAP account.  I reading through some of the mutt sites now, and I was wondering if someone on the list would be willing to post their muttrc file and any helpful pointers for using mutt.

Looks very streamlined and powerful.

Thanks. smile

#2 2004-03-19 01:58:43

whol

#3 2004-03-19 02:31:53

scottro
Website

Re: New to mutt

I'm going to recommend my own mutt page, though I use it with pop3 rather than imap

http://home.nyc.rr.com/computertaijutsu/mutt.html

BTW, Arch does have mutt-devel as well.

#4 2004-03-19 02:46:29

trey

Thanks for both sets of pages that were mentioned.  They both look to have great information.  My initital considerations will be using sendmail and fetchmail (that I don't do now using Evolution) and telling mutt how I have my IMAP folders set up.

#5 2004-03-19 03:56:10

scottro
Website

Well, I have a quick and dirty guide to fetchmail too at

http://qnd-guides.org/qndfetchmail.html

It's simpler than getmail but I like getmail better, which is why it's the one I cover on my own mutt page

#6 2004-03-19 10:38:39

lanrat

What is the difference between mutt and mutt-devel? What features are different? Is mutt-devel stable enough for everyday use ?

#7 2004-03-19 14:11:12

whol

trey wrote:

Thanks for both sets of pages that were mentioned.  They both look to have great information.  My initital considerations will be using sendmail and fetchmail (that I don't do now using Evolution) and telling mutt how I have my IMAP folders set up.

I think you will need:
  fetchmail - retrieve mail
  procmail - sort mail
  mutt - manage mailboxes
  vim/nano - edit mail
  sendmail/qmail/etc - send mail

#8 2004-03-19 14:49:27

trey

I think you will need:
  fetchmail - retrieve mail
  procmail - sort mail
  mutt - manage mailboxes
  vim/nano - edit mail
  sendmail/qmail/etc - send mail

I have all those installed, it'll just be a matter of learning how to configure each to get my mail setup correctly.

#9 2004-03-19 21:07:42

contrasutra

I use mutt-devel. I don't know why, but it runs fine.

Here's the apps I use:

getmail -- grabs my new pop3 mail, leaving it on the server (for backup). Very easy to setup (unlike fetchmail)

procmail -- gets piped to from getmail, filters to proper maildirs and runs spamassassin

mutt -- read mail

vim -- write mail

nbsmtp -- SMTP relay. Doesn't really "run" (its not like sendmail), but relays the mail to my ISPs smtp server.

I have a few smtp relayers in my TUR (and staging), since I was trying them out, and there are already a few in extra, so try them all out. I like nbsmtp because it takes the "-f" flag (from:) that mutt/sendmail use, so I can easily change my envelope_from (I have a bunch of different accounts).

So in the end, I have nothing running as a daemon (the way I wanted it) and all my mail is still on my server, so I can move with little hassle and still read it online via webmail. Getmail runs as a cron job every 5 minutes.

"Contrary to popular belief, penguins are not the salvation of modern technology.  Neither do they throw parties for the urban proletariat."

#10 2004-03-19 21:53:42

trey

If you have the time, I'm ineterested in knowing a little more about how you have this setup.  Other than POP vs. IMAP, it sounds identical to the way I want to set mine up.

Really, I guess all I need to now is how procmail gets piped to from getmail.

Thanks. smile

#11 2004-03-19 22:53:56

contrasutra

In the postmaster section of your getmailrc, set it up like this:

postmaster =  |/usr/bin/procmail

Then you need to make sure procmail knows where to put the mail (or you'll have lots of lost email).

"Contrary to popular belief, penguins are not the salvation of modern technology.  Neither do they throw parties for the urban proletariat."

#12 2004-03-20 01:23:49

scottro
Website

I'm not sure if that was in answer to my post or not. The procmail pipe from getmail is explained on my page.  Make note of the stderr thing though. (I use the example of despammed.com being stripped.)

As for mutt vs. mutt-devel, I've been using devel for a long time now without problems--I forget what the feature was that made me change, I think it has something I wanted that wasn't in regular.

#13 2004-03-20 13:15:27

lanrat

Contrasutra - thanks for the answer :-) I'm going to reach a very similar effect on my desktop. I'll take a look at the smtp relays you mentioned. I was going to make my own pkgbuild for msmtp but your post reminded me of the from envelope problem (I have a few mail accounts too) and I must test it more.

It seems that nobody (at least a few people I asked) really knows if there are any big differences between mutt and mutt-devel :-) Doesn't really matter if all are saying that mutt-devel runs fine.

I'm also interested in config tricks especially the antispam (statistical bayesian, others?) configs. What/Why/How are you using them ?

#14 2005-11-05 18:34:19

vladuz976

scottro wrote:

I'm going to recommend my own mutt page, though I use it with pop3 rather than imap

http://home.nyc.rr.com/computertaijutsu/mutt.html

BTW, Arch does have mutt-devel as well.

hi,
i set up mutt according to your site. everthing works out fine except that it appears as if the mailis coming from vladuz976@box.myhome.westell.com instead of from ericdan@ucla.edu. vladuz976 is my username on my box and box is my hostname on my computer, westell is the router i use.
where can i change that to my server's username and domain?
thanks.

~/.mutt/muttrc:
set realname='Eric Dan'

set sendmail="/usr/bin/msmtp"

set edit_headers=yes
set folder=~/mail
set mbox=+mbox
set spoolfile=+inbox
set record=+sent
set postponed=+drafts
set mbox_type=Maildir

mailboxes +inbox +enlightenment +arch

macro index G"!getmailn" "Invoke getmail"
macro pager G"!getmailn" "Invoke getmail"
macro pager cb |w3mn

~/.msmtprc:
account default
host mail.ucla.edu
port 25
protocol smtp
auth on
from ericdan@ucla.edu
user ericdan
password mypassword
tls on
tls_starttls on

~/.getmail/getmailrc:
[retriever]
type = SimplePOP3SSLRetriever
server = mail.ucla.edu
username = ericdan
password = mypassword

[destination]
type = MDA_external
path = /usr/bin/procmail
message_log= /home/vladuz976/.getmail.log
unixfrom = True

#15 2005-11-05 23:50:55

xterminus

I've been using mutt for a couple of years now.  Everybody I know who uses mutt ends up tweaking it so that it fits their needs, and their needs alone.  The result is that mutt rarely seems to be "standardized" on any machine that I'm not the primary user.  That's certainly the case with me too.

If your interested, I keep my configs live and online as both a reference and a backup.  Feel free to browse, steal, fork, etc.  A lot of my configuration is auto-generated on startup, and the entire email delivery process has been revamped to bypass procmail/deliver and instead just uses perl.

#16 2005-11-07 16:22:57

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

Wow, old thread.

I use fetchmail+procmail to grab my email from gmail, mutt to read, and msmtp to send (can't postpone mail though).

xterminus - nice site, I'm reading through your configs now 8)

Board footer