You are not logged in.

#1 2020-09-02 20:42:57

synthead

Issue for current bug in kernel denied reopening. What should I do?

I have an Intel D945GCLF2 motherboard that uses a Intel Atom 330 CPU.  For some reason, any kernel later than 5.3.2.arch1-1 (from Oct 1, 2019) makes the system hang like this.  I filed an issue for it here.

Someone on the Arch team has asked me to bisect the diff between kernel versions 5.3.2.arch1-1 and linux-5.3.4.arch1-1 (the oldest kernel that doesn't boot).  I am not familiar enough with the Linux kernel to confidently bisect the diff between these versions.

There hasn't been much support on this issue outside of them asking me to do the work myself, and in response, the issue keeps getting closed.  I recently attempted a kernel upgrade on this system, and it still doesn't boot, so I made a request for the issue to be reopened since the issue is still relevant.  However, the request was denied with this message:

Without a bisect this will get us nowhere...

Is is typical to expect Arch users to fix their own kernel issues?  Is there any way some movement could be made on this?  If not, is there a list of unsupported hardware I could add this Atom board to?

#2 2020-09-02 21:28:23

merlock

Re: Issue for current bug in kernel denied reopening. What should I do?

synthead wrote:

Is is typical to expect Arch users to fix their own kernel issues?

In this case, yes.  You have (apparently) non-standard hardware that the kernel maintainers do not have.

loqs even provided you a shortcut on Flyspray:

loqs wrote:

Comment by loqs (loqs) - Thursday, 24 October 2019, 23:17 GMT
If the issue is till present in 5.3.7 you can either test 5.4-rc4 using [1] to see if the issue has already been fixed
or bisect between 5.3.2 and 5.3.4 to locate the causal commit. 5.3.2.bisect.txt provides step by step instructions for the bisection.
The provided src.tar.gz allows you to skip to line 9 then skip line 10 as the bundle is already adjusted then continue with line 11.

The Wiki provides a pretty good template for bisecting (I've bisected a few programs now, using it).

Eenie meenie, chili beanie, the spirits are about to speak -- Bullwinkle J. Moose
It's a big club...and you ain't in it -- George Carlin
Registered Linux user #149839
perl -e 'print$i=pack(c5,(41*2),sqrt(7056),(unpack(c,H)-2),oct(115),10); '

Board footer