You are not logged in.

#1 2020-09-03 14:43:23

LHP22

Encrypted home partition with keyfile asks phrassphrase on boot

Hi there !

I have a Luks encrypted root partition /dev/mmcblk1p4 and a home partition /dev/mmcblk1p5 . A keyfile for the home partition is stored in the root partition. In order that, the home partition can be uncrypted on the boot (or whenever I want, after the unlocking of the root partition). But, at the boot, the system asks to me the passphrase for the root partition, which is OK. And after I gave him, he tells me : "Please give the passphrase for disk home :". And I didn't understand why it was asked. So, I've made disappear this partition of my /etc/fstab and /etc/crypttab , which looks like this, now :

# /dev/mapper/cryptroot
UUID=... / ext4 rw,relatime 0 1

# /dev/mmcblk0p1 (boot)
UUID=... /boot vfat rw,relatime,fmask=0022,dmask=0022,codepage=437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro 0 2

# /dev/mapper/crypthome
# /dev/mapper/crypthome /home ext4 defaults 0 2

/dev/mapper/swap none swap default 0 0

# SD card always in but not encrypted so easy fstab :
UUID=... /csd ext4 defaults 0 2

And my /etc/crypttab :

swap LABEL=cryptswap /dev/urandom swap,offset=2048,cipher=aes-cbc-essiv:sha256,size=256

At the beginning of the swap partition, there is a 1M ext2 formatted block in order that I keep a constant UUID for swap. In case of ...

But, these changes didn't change at all the behaviour at boot, still asking for me the passphrase for my disk home. I've so rm-ed the initramfs file at the root of boot partition and do a `pacman -S linux` to get new refreshed. But after that, still my password for home disk asked.

And I don't know how the boot process can know now about this disk, which have been made disappeared from the config files.

By the way, even the correct passphrase for the disk home doesn't work for unlocking them.

Someone would have an idea to bypass it, and where does this ask come from ?

PS : The configuration for my encrypted swap partition seems failed too  : `swapon --show` tells me nothing.

PS2 : More precisely, the message I get is

Please enter passphrase for disk home: (press TAB for no echo) _

PS3 : When I success to get in rescue mode, I get

[FAILED] Failed to start Cryptography Setup for home.
[DEPEND] Dependency failed for /dev/mapper/home
[DEPEND] Dependency failed for File System Check on /dev/mapper/home.
[DEPEND] Dependency failed for Home Partition
[DEPEND] Dependency failed for Local File Systems.
[DEPEND] Dependency failed for Local Encrypted Volumes.

Last edited by LHP22 (2020-09-03 14:55:54)

Board footer