You are not logged in.

#1 2020-09-03 19:35:10

jsventek

Arch Linux guest cannot mount shared folder on Windows 10 host

Created Arch Linux guest image using archlinux-2020.09.01-x86_64.iso
Installed VirtualBox 6.1.12 on Windows 10.
Arch Linux image had Virtual Box guest additions added using the following commands:
# pacman -S virtualbox-guest-utils
# systemctl enable vboxservice.service

After boot of ArchLinux, "systemctl | grep vbox" yielded
  vboxdrmclient.path
                  loaded active running  VirtualBox  Guest  VMSVGA  resize  client
  vboxdrmclient.service
                  loaded active running  VirtualBox  Guest  VMSVGA  resize  client
  vboxservice.service
                  loaded active running  VirtualBox  Guest  Service

'lsmod | grep vbox' yielded
vboxsf                          40960  0
vboxvideo                    28672  0
drm_vram_helper        24576  1 vboxvideo
drm_kms_helper        262144  3 vmwgfx,drm_vram_helper,vboxvideo
vboxguest                    49152  6 vboxsf
drm                            585728  9 vmwgfx,drm_kms_helper,drm_vram_helper,vboxvideo,drm_ttm_helper,ttm

Created a single user account, me, added me to the vboxsf group, and created /home/me/share, owner=me, group=vboxsf.
Added a permanent shared folder using the Devices menu, folder path is C:\share, folder name is share, mount point is /home/me/share. I did NOT select auto-mount

When executing    "sudo mount -t vboxsf share /home/me/share", the following error message is produced
mount: /home/me/share: mount(2) system call failed: No such file or directory.

Screen resizing works, bidirectional copy and paste work. Haven't tried drag and drop.

I have been building Arch VM images for student use for over two years. This is the first time when following the directions in the Wiki that I have not been able to get the shared folders to mount.

Any guidance gratefully accepted.

#2 2020-09-03 20:02:48

jsventek

Re: Arch Linux guest cannot mount shared folder on Windows 10 host

One other thing - C:\share has enabled all access to all users on that directory.

Checked the system, mount.vboxsf is nowhere to be found on the disk. Comparison with the system I built in March 2020 has /usr/bin/mount.vboxsf. The error message that mount reports does not indicate which file is in error, would appear to be the inability to exec mount.vboxsf. This would appear to be a bug in the guest-utils package.

Last edited by jsventek (2020-09-04 00:38:06)

#3 2020-09-04 20:34:44

fistrosan

What kernel are you using ?

uname -r

If you are using the latest kernel I would be very surprised (in fact I would get my hat off to you) if you managed to get the guestaadditions to work. The guestadditions usually lag behind the kernel. If in fact you are using the latest kernel maybe try to rebuild (

VBoxLinuxAdditions.run

against the LTS kernel ?

Edit: I think I explained it the other way around: the kernel lags behind the VB additions. Do you upgrade your VM under Windows beyond 6.1.12 and wait for the kernel to catch up to it. Alternatively you can try to install under Windows an earlier VM (i.e. 6.0), attach it corresponding iso with the additions and see if the latest kernel goes for it.

Last edited by fistrosan (2020-09-04 20:51:45)

#4 2020-09-04 21:02:00

jsventek

I am using the latest kernel, 5.8.5-arch1-1.

I tried installing linux-headers, mounting the VBoxAdditions ISO, and invoking sh the .run file - several compilation errors were logged in /var/log/vboxadd-setup.log.

Tried installing virtualbox-guest-dkms; cannot find rcvboxdrv anywhere to recompile the modules; invoking make in the vboxsf directory yields additional compile errors.

I have tried everything that has worked in the past, to no avail.

I suppose that I can go back a couple of versions of virtualbox and see if that fixes it, but that is a copout in my book.

Thanks for responding to my query.

jsventek

#5 2020-09-04 23:56:52

WFV

Another workaround to not have to rollback, try samba or other means of network sharing if that will suit your needs. $USER is part of vboxsf and vboxusers groups, yes?

∞ hard times make the strong, the strong make good times, good times make the weak, the weak make hard times ∞

Board footer