You are not logged in.

#1 2020-09-01 06:53:52

ntldr

Chrome/Chromium copy image + paste bug

Hey

I often use copy image feature from chrome/chromium to paste images from clipboard to telegram/discord. I recently noticed Chrome/Chromium this feature stopped working totally it makes telegram/discord just freeze for several seconds then nothing happens. I have tested firefox which seems to be uneffected it works as it should.

I have tried to reset chrome/chromium settings to default no effect, disabled all extensions etc nothing. Basically gone from new fresh install of chrome to how I have it setup but nothing seems to resolve the issue. I tested to downgrade Chrome package to it's previous version in this version the issue doesn't exist so something have changed in the latest version.

if someone could verify if the bug exists for others could you try? Just find any image from internet go over it mouse 2 -> copy image -> go to discord/telegram and ctrl + v the image should come from clipboard to be uploaded to discord/telegram.

#2 2020-09-01 10:01:35

Awebb

Re: Chrome/Chromium copy image + paste bug

We need to establish some things
About desktop environment kinks.
From repos or flatpack?
Is wayland the gadget?
Is it Gnome or Plasma that stinks?

#3 2020-09-01 10:12:12

ntldr

Awebb wrote:

We need to establish some things
About desktop environment kinks.
From repos or flatpack?
Is wayland the gadget?
Is it Gnome or Plasma that stinks?

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/google-chrome/ installed chrome from here and I tested with chromium the same behavior.

I do use KDE but I should have all gadgets disabled and no extensions related to KDE. Far as I can tell I don't have any DE kinks that have changed unless you can point out what to look for. Far as I can tell only thing what has changed is chrome/chromium version everything else has staid as it is. Like I mentioned before downgrading the package to previous version did make the copy paste feature to work.

but I have following: Plasma 5.19.4 no wayland, no gadgets, no flatpack. Chrome Version 85.0.4183.83.

At least in my end Version 84.0.4147.89 (Official Build) Arch Linux (64-bit) Chromium is working but 85 again doesn't.

#4 2020-09-06 01:42:15

LeeJunFan

Same here. KDE, Chromium, Chrome, Vivaldi... None of them can copy image to clipboard.

Just had a lot of KDE updates. Makes sense that that's a common denominator that broke all the browsers at the same time.

Firefox works fine.

#5 2020-09-06 02:10:41

LeeJunFan

I disabled the kde clipboard manager, relaunched vivaldi, and I can now copy and paste images from vivaldi to gimp.

I re-enabled the clipboard manager, and I can still copy/paste images, but the images do not show up in the clipboard manager.

#6 2020-09-06 02:46:17

LeeJunFan

Guessing it's QT, as I see that upgraded as well [qt5-base (5.15.0-4 -> 5.15.0-5)], and CopyQ gives the same behavior. It copys, but shows a blank entry in the clipboard.

#7 2020-09-06 07:24:44

ntldr

LeeJunFan wrote:

I disabled the kde clipboard manager, relaunched vivaldi, and I can now copy and paste images from vivaldi to gimp.

I re-enabled the clipboard manager, and I can still copy/paste images, but the images do not show up in the clipboard manager.

I have had it this whole time disabled yet it doesn't work for me. Wanna tell how exactly you disabled it?

I only have xclip installed.

image.png

I have disabled kde clipboard manager in the tray menu and I have no widgets running.

#8 2020-09-06 12:36:19

LeeJunFan

ntldr wrote:

I have had it this whole time disabled yet it doesn't work for me. Wanna tell how exactly you disabled it?

Right clicked the system tray, "configure system tray", scrolled down to "system services" and set clipboard to "disabled".

Then I re-launched vivaldi and was able to copy images from there to paste, even after re-enabling it.

FluxBB bbcode

#9 2020-09-06 12:52:35

V1del
Forum Moderator

Works fine here with chromium 85, with klipper enabled. The qt5-base upgrade has almost no chance to be related, that was a development/debug symbols change that shouldn't have functional relevance on anything.  FWIW the common denominator between all three browsers is that they are all the same browser, so it could as well be a chromium/blink change, and if it is fixed now on chromium  potentially an update there whose fix has not yet propagated to vivaldi.

Last edited by V1del (2020-09-06 12:56:52)

#10 2020-09-06 13:53:15

ntldr

V1del wrote:

Works fine here with chromium 85, with klipper enabled. The qt5-base upgrade has almost no chance to be related, that was a development/debug symbols change that shouldn't have functional relevance on anything.  FWIW the common denominator between all three browsers is that they are all the same browser, so it could as well be a chromium/blink change, and if it is fixed now on chromium  potentially an update there whose fix has not yet propagated to vivaldi.

far as my system goes I have disabled klipper and only have xclip installed yet Chromium/Chrome it doesn't work if I look at the data which klipper shows it's just some image of 0101 but when using firefox it actually shows the image on clipboard.

I don't know how else to start diagnose this.

#11 2020-09-15 02:26:35

TheFeelTrain

Disabling the KDE Clipboard under System Tray settings worked for me. I am able to paste images into Discord again.

EDIT: Nevermind, it worked exactly once and is now back to freezing when I try to paste.

Last edited by TheFeelTrain (2020-09-15 03:52:34)

#12 2021-06-02 21:35:57

parsanoori

Any progresses here in 2021 ?
I'm using gnome and I encounter freezes on pasting images to Google Docs.

Last edited by parsanoori (2021-06-02 21:37:40)

Board footer