You are not logged in.

#1 2006-09-07 03:40:09

wrythe

What changed between 2.6.16 and 2.6.17?

I recently acquired a laptop and installed Arch without problems via the 0.7.2 CD. This installed the 2.6.16 kernel which runs fine on the system. However, upgrading to 2.6.17 results in system hang-ups at boot no matter what I try. It always locks up at the message "ACPI: PCI Host Bridge [(some garbage I can't remember)]"

I have the latest and greatest up-to-date Arch running fine on two desktops, but it doesn't agree with my lappy at all. Does anyone know what exactly changed between the two kernel versions that could cause this?

P.S. I've tried everything from a custom vanilla kernel, custom Arch kernel, custom Beyond kernel, enabling and disabling everything I could think of. I've tried countless GRUB arguments (nolapic, noapic, acpi=off, acpi=noirq, nosmp, pci=nommconfig, and a bunch of other that have been suggested to me) and I've tried several combinations of hooks and modules when running mkinitcpio. Damn frustrating, it is.  :evil:

psearch - manipulate and refine pacman searches

#2 2006-09-07 09:18:45

Lone_Wolf

Re: What changed between 2.6.16 and 2.6.17?

ACPI problems on laptops often have to do with buggy bios. Check if you are using the latest bios release for your laptop.

Also check the 'Plug and Play OS installed ' setting in the bios and make sure it's set to NO.

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#3 2006-09-07 09:29:48

lanrat

wrythe wrote:

It always locks up at the message "ACPI: PCI Host Bridge [(some garbage I can't remember)]"

That "garbage" is usually crucial to identify and solve the problem. Pasting some config and hardware info would not hurt too.

#4 2006-09-07 14:22:46

wrythe

lanrat wrote:

That "garbage" is usually crucial to identify and solve the problem. Pasting some config and hardware info would not hurt too.

I had a feeling a reply like this was coming. smile That's why I didn't wanted to troubleshoot the specific laptop, but was interested to know if anybody knew specifically what changed between the two kernel versions regarding ACPI.

#5 2006-09-07 19:29:18

wrythe

Lone_Wolf wrote:

ACPI problems on laptops often have to do with buggy bios. Check if you are using the latest bios release for your laptop.

Also check the 'Plug and Play OS installed ' setting in the bios and make sure it's set to NO.

There was a BIOS update available, but, unfortunately, it did not help. The BIOS doesn't explicitly state anything about PnP, so I'm not quite sure what to do there.

I'm mainly looking for the specific changes made to ACPI between these two kernel versions. I've gone through the change logs on kernel.org, but nothing has thrown any red flags.

#6 2006-09-08 11:03:25

lanrat

wrythe wrote:
lanrat wrote:

I had a feeling a reply like this was coming. smile That's why I didn't wanted to troubleshoot the specific laptop, but was interested to know if anybody knew specifically what changed between the two kernel versions regarding ACPI.

Well, if you like to do it the hard(est) way... :-)

#7 2006-09-09 01:04:52

badger

One change with regards to ACPI and the kernel26 package was in the kernel config: changing the ACPI video component to be compiled as a module (I'm not saying this is the reason for the problem, just that this was a change). Original thread: http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?t=24376 and associated feature request http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/5281 I'm grateful the change was made.

cheers

#8 2006-09-09 02:05:45

wrythe

badger wrote:

One change with regards to ACPI and the kernel26 package was in the kernel config: changing the ACPI video component to be compiled as a module (I'm not saying this is the reason for the problem, just that this was a change). Original thread: http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?t=24376 and associated feature request http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/5281 I'm grateful the change was made.

cheers

Thanks for the lead. I'll check it out. smile

Board footer