You are not logged in.

#1 2020-09-08 17:00:42

bkhanale
Website

Need help with external monitor setup with xorg and kde

I have a MSI GL63 8RE laptop and I've installed arch with Xorg and KDE. My external monitor was detected fine by KDE but I think I'm not able to properly configure the GPU for the displays. So my requirement is that whenever I have an external monitor connected then just use that as a primary display and when it's not connected just use the laptop display instead.

Initially, without having to configure anything with Xorg I was able to switch between the external monitor and laptop display through KDE system settings but when I had the laptop display disabled, there was a terrible lag on the external display. Hoping that this issue was due to the incorrect GPU being used, I created a new file to configure Xorg:

~ cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-nvidia-drm-outputclass.conf
Section "OutputClass"
  Identifier "nvidia"
  MatchDriver "nvidia-drm"
  Driver "nvidia"
  Option "AllowEmptyInitialConfiguration"
  Option "PrimaryGPU" "yes"
  ModulePath "/usr/lib/nvidia/xorg"
  ModulePath "/usr/lib/xorg/modules"
EndSection

And this fixed the issue for me, I was no longer having any lags on the external display. But then when I was booting without the external display connected, I was just getting a blank screen on my laptop. Ideally the primary display should've been my laptop display in the absence of the external one. I feel like this has to do with the laptop display being powered by the Intel GPU, but need help in solving this. Also I'm very new to arch and don't have a proper experience with Xorg. So maybe I can learn something here big_smile

~ lspci | grep -i 'VGA'
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation UHD Graphics 630 (Mobile)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GP106M [GeForce GTX 1060 Mobile] (rev a1)

Here I've just forced to use (I think) Nvidia GPU instead of having switchable graphics, which is fine for me.

Last edited by bkhanale (2020-09-08 17:06:33)

#2 2020-09-08 18:41:34

V1del
Forum Moderator

Re: Need help with external monitor setup with xorg and kde

Follow through on the configuration: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NV … phics_only add these xrandr lines to the relevant startup section conforming to your setup.

Board footer