You are not logged in.

#1 2020-09-11 15:10:08

ashton

Thinkpad T14s - Will not sleep on lid close

I have a Thinkpad T14s (AMD) running Arch (current as of ~12 hours ago).

I am having a strange issue where if I run `systemctl suspend`, the system will sleep and resume normally. I am using dwm with slock, and slock does get started prior to sleep and it is running when the machine wakes up.

However, when I close the lid, the machine will not sleep. slock starts, but the machine just stays on.

Here's what I've tried:

1. I changed the BIOS setting for sleep mode to "Linux". Prior to this, systemctl suspend did not work either.
2. I checked to make sure that lid switch events are being registered in journalctl. I see one of close and open corresponding to a close and open action.
3. Trying to get sleep working (without realizing the BIOS setting was needed), I had tried some troubleshooting in `/etc/systemd/logind.conf` and `/etc/systemd/sleep.conf`. I removed these files which sets them back to default.

There is no power manager running (aside from acpid) - nothing like XFCE power manager or GNOME power manager that could be interfering with it.

If anyone has some ideas, please let me know.

Thanks.

#2 2020-09-11 15:52:23

ashton

Re: Thinkpad T14s - Will not sleep on lid close

Ok so I have somehow managed to resolve this (still have no idea why or how this happened, or what I did to fix it).

I thought perhaps it was a kernel issue (I am using the standard kernel), so I built and installed linux-mainline from the AUR since its newer and I've been looking around and a few people with Renoir-powered machines suggested to try a later kernel. Once I rebooted into that, I realized it would now sleep upon lid close. I rebooted back to the regular kernel, and it works there now too.

The only thing I changed was that I added `amdgpu` to the modules list in `/etc/mkinitcpio.conf`, hoping to squash some amdgpu related error messages on bootup. These still appear, but do so much earlier in the boot process (prior to the system asking me to decrypt my root partition), instead of right before console login.

If anyone has insights, I'd love to hear them.

Board footer