You are not logged in.

#1 2020-09-16 02:34:38

Inotamira

[SOLVED] Custom Kernel not satisfying Linux dependancy for packages

Not 100% sure if this question goes here, but, I did try searching the issue and didn't really find a solid answer. I have a custom kernel installed, occasionally when I go to update, the package tries to install the default Linux kernel, so I'm forced to throw the dd into my pacman argument to get it to ignore dependencies. How would I go about telling pacman that the custom kernel fulfills the Linux dependency?

Last edited by Inotamira (2020-09-16 14:35:12)

#2 2020-09-16 03:22:35

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Custom Kernel not satisfying Linux dependancy for packages

Does your package "provide" linux?  And should it?  Not many (13 total) packages in the repos depend on the kernel package.  Most - if not all - of them would also need to be rebuilt or replaced with a dkms version in order to work with a custom kernel.  Which one is actually causing your problem?

Edit: any package that requires 'linux' requires the stock arch kernel.  No custom built kernel would satisfy this requirement.  This is why there are dkms versions of most of the packages that depend on 'linux'.

Last edited by Trilby (2020-09-16 13:18:51)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2020-09-16 08:48:55

Inotamira

Trilby wrote:

Does your package "provide" linux?  And should it?  Not many (13 total) packages in the repos depend on the kernel package.  Most - if not all - of them would also need to be rebuilt or replaced with a dkms version in order to work with a custom kernel.  Which one is actually causing your problem?

That's actually hard to say, there's I think 4 I'm aware of at the moment, but didn't take note of what they specifically were. I can post a log of recently upgraded packages, but if I had to guess, vhba-modules would be the likely candidate out of the grep I pulled. It's linux-lqx, which should, I think, satisfy the Linux dependency. The only thing I've had to dkms is my NVIDIA drivers, which I removed the non-dkms version after switching to the Liquorix kernel, everything else is DKMS by default, such as ckb-next.

#4 2020-09-16 09:12:39

Inotamira

I reinstalled the Linux package, went to remove it, and the vhba-module does list as the first thing to be a problem. the module was required by cdemu (some dos games need it), so I swapped that out for the dkms version, and it looks like everything should be fine now. However, I ALSO made a pactree after reinstalling it, and the first fork was coreutils, does that mean the Linux package is required by it? I'm not sure, but given I could uninstall the package without issue, I ASSUME it's fine?

#5 2020-09-16 09:16:59

progandy

"pactree" lists the dependencies of a package, i.e. the linux package requires coreutils not the other way around.
You can list the reverse with "pactree -r"

Last edited by progandy (2020-09-16 09:21:16)

| alias CUTF='LANG=en_XX.UTF-8@POSIX ' |

#6 2020-09-16 09:33:07

Inotamira

progandy wrote:

"pactree" lists the dependencies of a package, i.e. the linux package requires coreutils not the other way around.
You can list the reverse with "pactree -r"

Passing -r JUST lists the linux package now, so that means it's good, correct?

Last edited by Inotamira (2020-09-16 09:34:21)

#7 2020-09-16 13:20:02

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

You should be good, yes - but you're the one to tell us:  can you update normally now?  If so, you can mark the thread as solved by editing your first post to prepend [SOLVED] to the title.

Last edited by Trilby (2020-09-16 13:20:21)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#8 2020-09-16 14:32:42

Inotamira

Trilby wrote:

You should be good, yes - but you're the one to tell us:  can you update normally now?  If so, you can mark the thread as solved by editing your first post to prepend [SOLVED] to the title.

That's going to be a "time will tell" situation.

Board footer