You are not logged in.

#1 2020-09-09 07:28:56

wombatvvv

Issues installing on a Macbook Pro (screen size and keyboard)

Hi,

I'm trying to dual boot Arch on a Macbook Pro.

The first issue I come across is that when I boot the Arch Live ISO, the screen is cut off at the bottom (it seems okay on the X-axis). This means I can't see the commands being typed or the bottom lines of text once the windows fills with text. Constantly clearing doesn't help much as the screen keeps filling up with text during install and I don't want to enter commands (particularly partitioning and formatting commands) blind. If I plug an external monitor in, it's even worse. I guess this has something to do with the retina display.

The second issue is that the laptop keyboard does not work. I can get around this by plugging in an external keyboard, but it's far from ideal.

If you have any suggestions, please keep in mind I'm a Linux novice.

Cheers!

#2 2020-09-15 14:35:48

wombatvvv

Re: Issues installing on a Macbook Pro (screen size and keyboard)

500 views and no ideas?

I suppose it's just not possible then? I since noticed (it's a new laptop) that the escape key is part of some digital pad at the top of the normal keyboard. Of course this isn't a big issue as I am happy to plug in an external keyboard.

It's really getting the display right ... surely there must be a way to do that? Is there some way to set the maximum number of vertical lines in the terminal or something?

Last edited by wombatvvv (2020-09-15 14:36:55)

#3 2020-09-17 04:54:14

solskog

Don't known if it works in your case but try:

# setterm --resize

As for the keyboard, you may have to try different keymaps inside this directory or even make a new one for your new laptop.

# localectl set-keymap --no-convert /usr/share/kbd/keymaps/mac/all//mac-us.map.gz

Last edited by solskog (2020-09-17 04:56:03)

#4 2020-09-17 09:16:37

Lone_Wolf

Newer macbook pro models don't work well with linux, which model do you have ?

Check https://github.com/Dunedan/mbp-2016-linux

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

Board footer