You are not logged in.

#1 2020-09-23 03:29:43

Bitcents

the Arch experience on wayland and openrc

Recently I installed an Arch instance on openrc, wayland and sway, and although I had to jump over some hoops to get things running the way I wanted, I was quite satisfied with the results.
I wanted something minimal and functional, and for the most part I was successful.
I was wondering if anyone else has tried doing the same thing. Given that wayland still has compatibility issues, I think most people would still prefer to use X.

But if you are using sway, how would you describe your experience? How would you compare it to a more traditional tiling wm such as i3 or bspwm? What about RAM and CPU utilization when idle?

My system typically uses 250M and 1-2% CPU(Ryzen 7 1700) when running htop.

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

#2 2020-09-25 15:36:22

natervance

Re: the Arch experience on wayland and openrc

I can't speak to the openrc side of things - I have systemd, wayland, and sway - but I can say that my system is using closer to 0-4% CPU (Athlon) and about 100M RAM. With palemoon running, it's closer to 7% CPU and 470M RAM.

For the most part, I have few complaints regarding sway, other than screen sharing over Zoom. I hack it together using v4l2loopback and wf-recorder into a virtual video device, then sharing an extra camera in Zoom. Unfortunately, everything I share is then subject to video compression, and I'm not sure how I would manage everything logistically if I didn't have a dual monitor setup.

For those interested, here's my /etc/modprobe.d/v4l2.conf:

options v4l2loopback video_nr=5 card_label="vcam"

And in my .bashrc:

alias zoomscreencap="sudo modprobe v4l2loopback && wf-recorder --muxer=v4l2 --codec=rawvideo -x yuv420p --file=/dev/video5"

Board footer