You are not logged in.

#1 2020-09-25 23:33:18

MaxW7

[SOLVED] Archiso on HP Proliant gives no shell

I have been trying to get arch running on my new server, but every time I try to boot the archiso after waiting for an ip with dhcpcd, the screen clears and does not give a shell available. I see the blinker, but there is no response on any keypress. The iso usb does boot on other systems, so it does not seem to be a problem with the usb.

What I have noticed that before waiting for an ip with dhcpcd, an error pops up mentioning that systemd has failed to start "Initialize Pacman Keyring", which does not fail on my other system. Also when force the server to shutdown after looking at the blinker for some time, it fails with a lot of errors:

[FAILED] Failed unmounting Temporary /etc/pacman.d/gnupg directory. 
[FAILED] Failed unmounting /run/archiso/bootmnt.
[FAILED] Failed unmounting /run/archiso/cowspace. (? not sure, can't read it from my screen-picture anymore)
[FAILED] Failed unmounting /run/archiso/sfs/airootfs.
[FAILED] Failed unmounting /run/systemd/journal.
[FAILED] Failed unmounting /run/udev.
[FAILED] Failed unmounting Temporary Directory (/tmp).
[FAILED] Failed unmounting /var/lib/dhcpcd/dev.
[FAILED] Failed unmounting /var/lib/dhcpcd/proc.
[FAILED] Failed unmounting /var/lib/dhcpcd/res/systemd/journal.
[FAILED] Failed unmounting /var/lib/dhcpcd/run/udev.
[FAILED] Failed unmounting /var/lib/dhcpcd/sys

No other anomalies found my attention

I have been running (and re-installing) arch for about two years now and I have never had the iso not give me a shell. This is the first time I have tried running it on a more server-setup though, which might cause me missing something obvious.

Last edited by MaxW7 (2020-09-26 00:28:39)

#2 2020-09-25 23:35:05

Scimmia
Fellow

Re: [SOLVED] Archiso on HP Proliant gives no shell

Try a newer ISO. Sounds like you're using one that's at least a few months old, if not more.

#3 2020-09-25 23:39:36

MaxW7

Scimmia wrote:

Try a newer ISO. Sounds like you're using one that's at least a few months old, if not more.

The ISO I have been using is from the first of september, so that would be very strange. This problem also occurs independent of internet access.

#4 2020-09-25 23:41:40

Scimmia
Fellow

of what year? dhcpcd hasn't been on the ISO since May or so, IIRC.

Edit: Just checked, it's still there, but no longer run by default. Still sounds like an old ISO.

Last edited by Scimmia (2020-09-25 23:47:21)

#5 2020-09-25 23:55:54

MaxW7

Okay I feel really stupid now, I just did another reinstall of the USB and now it bots. Not sure how it happened, but it looks like I indeed installed an old version of the ISO. It boots now with shell, so thanks for that.

Why does it matter if the ISO is recent, even though it is not connected to the internet? (Is that a question to ask here or should I move to a different subforum?)

Should I also mark this as solved?

#6 2020-09-26 00:25:07

GaKu999

MaxW7 wrote:

Okay I feel really stupid now, I just did another reinstall of the USB and now it bots. Not sure how it happened, but it looks like I indeed installed an old version of the ISO. It boots now with shell, so thanks for that.

Why does it matter if the ISO is recent, even though it is not connected to the internet? (Is that a question to ask here or should I move to a different subforum?)

Should I also mark this as solved?

Certain older ISOs had issues, which motivated migrations and changes in the configuration, also idk if you could install Arch successfully today with an ISO from 2007, an exaggerated example...

If your issue is solved you can mark it as solved then. Is it solved?

My reposSome snippets

Heisenberg might have been here.

#7 2020-09-26 00:27:56

MaxW7

GaKu999 wrote:

If your issue is solved you can mark it as solved then. Is it solved?

Yes, will do! And thanks for the explanation, that will help me with future issues as well!

Board footer