You are not logged in.

#1 2020-09-27 16:00:50

lviggiani

[ABANDONED] Connection to WiFi only works when in installation media

Hi I've just made a fresh installation of Arch Linux in my old Surface Pro 4 device.
When booted from the installation media (latest downloaded today), I could successfully connect to my home wlan through iwctl as stated in the wiki. Then I've completed the installation and chrooted into the target machine and installed netctl.
After reboot, I've used wifi-menu to connect to my home wifi and, despite I didn't get any error at first, I could not ping neither google.com nor 192.198.1.1 (that should be my router). It says (network cannot be reached).
After trying to configure netctl without success, I rebooted with the installation media, connected to wifi with iwctl, chrooted into my computer, removed netctl and installed iwctl (that is working when run from installation media). After reboot, I used iwctl to connect to wifi (exactly as when done from the installation media) but, again despite I don't get any message, I cannot ping any site or address or evan use pacman.
issuing networkctl says that wlan0 is degradated.
So it's not an hardware problem as it runs form the installation media and not on target machine (I guess they have the same kernel).
Can someone help me please as I'm stuck here... thanks!

Last edited by lviggiani (2020-10-01 16:33:41)

#2 2020-09-27 16:08:06

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Re: [ABANDONED] Connection to WiFi only works when in installation media

Did you remember to install the linux-firmware package? You should probably list the exact commands that you used for the installation process so that we can spot any mistakes you may have made.

#3 2020-09-27 16:38:41

lviggiani

Yes I did install linux-firmware

From installation media, in order to connect WiFi I do:

# iwctl

[iwd] device list
[iwd] station wlan0 scan
[iwd] station wlan0 get-networks
[iwd] station wlan0 connect mySSID

And I'm actually connected and I can reach the internet

Then I mount my root partition to /mnt and boo to /mnt/boot and arch-chroot to my target machine (of course after having installed base system, linux, linux-firmware etc).
There I installed iwd and completed the rest of setup (partion table, boot loader etc)
Finally I reboot in my target machine. It boots fine without any issues. Then I try to connect to the wifi like when from installation media:

# iwctl

[iwd] device list
[iwd] station wlan0 scan
[iwd] station wlan0 get-networks
[iwd] station wlan0 connect mySSID

But after some seconds I get an "operation failed" error message. Password is correct (I typed in sever times) and I also tried with other SSID's (e.g. my phone hotspot) but I always get the same result.
ip addr doesn't show any inet address in this case, whereas from installation media of course it does.

#4 2020-09-27 16:45:04

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

So what is your wireless hardware and driver?

The kernel version on the ISO image will be old now so this may be due to a regression in the current version. You could use the archive to install an old kernel version to test this theory. Or try the LTS kernel.

Also check the journal for anything relevant.

#5 2020-09-27 16:50:10

nl6720
The Evil Wiki Admin

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

Or try the LTS kernel.

If you're lucky, you can encounter a bug that's been backported to LTS too. tongue

#6 2020-09-27 16:56:53

lviggiani

It's a MS surface pro 4. I know it needs the linux-surface kernel in the end.
As the installation media works, I thought the same for the target machine.
Installation media comes with linux 5.8.5 whereas current linux in arch repo is 5.8.11.
Maybe it's a regression. I try to install linux-surface now and see how it goes.

#7 2020-09-27 17:16:32

lviggiani

...no way... neither with linux-surface kernel... I think I meesed thing up when first I tried to install bot netctl and network manager... Maybe a clean reinstall might work?

#8 2020-09-28 19:49:01

lviggiani

ok I managed to downgrade kernel to linux-5.8.5 (same as installation media) but I still get the same result.
It's a clean install, I followed arch wiki installation instructions and I only installed intel-ucode and iwd packages other than what stated in the installation instructions (linux-firmware is installed too).
What do i miss? Help please! smile

#9 2020-09-28 20:08:18

Zod

#10 2020-09-29 05:12:24

lviggiani

Yes I spent a lot of time within that page but I'm still missing something. Thanks for linking me the documentation but I always read official wiki, forums and other sites like stackoverflow or so BEFORE posting for help.
If I'm here it's because I still cannot solve my problem and just linking the wiki is not of much help in my case. I'm closing this thread because this is not taking me anywhere...

Last edited by lviggiani (2020-09-29 05:13:47)

#11 2020-09-29 07:46:45

V1del
Forum Moderator

[CLOSED] denotes a closed thread by a mod, use [ABANDONED] instead.

That said you have been given pointers to provide more information in post #4 which you seem to have ignored or read over, unless you provide these pieces of information, no one can help you

Last edited by V1del (2020-09-29 07:47:49)

#12 2021-03-10 17:45:01

Spl33n5

Excuse me for reviving this thread marked [ABANDONED], but it is the second thing to pop up on google when I searched for this problem. The first one is just the ArchWiki article for iwctl, which didn't help much. So I'm writing the solution here, even though OP probably way past gave up on it. The actual solution is kinda silly, by that I mean I have no idea how you people trying to solve this issue failed to do so. I have no idea how you lot managed to install ArchLinux without running into the same problem as me and OP did. Because the ArchLinux installation media kinda lies about it in a way.

When connecting to Wi-Fi on the live USB/CD/Whatever all one has to do is to run iwctl and connect. That is it. But upon installing and running it on hard disk it connects to the router, but it doesn't do any DHCP mumbo jumbo, unlike the iwctl installed on the live medium. That is where the problem stems from. Or at least it did for me.

It's to be fixed by running a DHCP client after connecting to the router. So first you have to download one, for example dhcpcd. To install it of cuarse you have to boot from the inmstallation medium once more. Mounting the root partition. Chrooting into it. Running pacman -S dhcpcd. Exiting the chroot. Restarting the computer. Booting into the hard disk. Connecting to your router through iwctl. Running dhcpcd. And Badabing. Badabum. You're connected to the outside world. Also you should run systemctl dhcpcd.service as to avoid that everytime you boot, you run the command.

I'm sorry for writing such a long winded answer full of grammatical mistakes yadda yadda yadda.

Board footer