You are not logged in.

#1 2004-03-19 19:03:24

mcubednyc

modprobe looking for wrong modules.dep

...or I think that's what's going on, anyway.  I did a fresh reinstall today (I know, how Windows of me) and then upgraded my system with pacman.  After I reinstalled the alsa packages, I tried to set it up:

# modprobe snd-intel8x0
FATAL: Could not load /lib/modules/2.6.3/modules.dep: No such file or directory

The upgrade included kernel2.6.4, so modprobe should be looking for /lib/modules/2.6.4/modules.dep, correct?  How do I make it do that?  Does this mean that something's gone wrong with my sysupgrade?

"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream." - S. Jackson

#2 2004-03-19 19:23:29

Moo-Crumpus

Re: modprobe looking for wrong modules.dep

... currently have the same problem, and I am hoping, the next reboot will fix it. I booted with 2.6.3, like you, installing from cd, and did pacman -Syu. It fetched a 2.6.4 kernel, yes. I guess, /lib/modules/2.6.3 is overwritten by /lib/modules/2.6.4. Bug or feature? First of all, I yet haven't looked if I am right. If I am, until the next reboot, you can't load modules as the current running kernel (still 2.6.3) can't find its modules (now 2.6.4).
So I hope (can't look for it right now) - but I will see in an hour or two, when I reboot, and tell ya mo'.

Frumpus addict
[mu'.krum.pus], [frum.pus]

#3 2004-03-19 20:39:06

mcubednyc

Pink Chick wrote:

Bug or feature?

It occured to me as I was writing the OP that perhaps a reboot would take care of the problem, but I figured I'd post anyway because I'm curious about the very thing you mentioned.  A reboot did fix the problem.  Is it a bug?  Is it a limitation in Arch's setup that hasn't been overcome?  Is it simply a necessity always, whenever the kernel gets upgraded?

I was surprised, having been irritated half-to-death by the Linux zealots on USENET who claim they 'never need to reboot.'  If it's an on-going requirement of any sysupgrade that brings along a kernel upgrade, then I hope some kind of notification scheme will be incorporated into pacman -- something like "you need to reboot" (ooo, echoes of Windows again  tongue ), akin to the way that pacman notifiies you that it should be upgraded first when there's a new version of it available.  OTOH, if it's just a bug, no biggie.  But I am curious about whether this is something that affects everyone, or just certain set-ups.

"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream." - S. Jackson

#4 2004-03-20 18:37:56

steelerguy

The upgrade included kernel2.6.4, so modprobe should be looking for /lib/modules/2.6.4/modules.dep, correct? How do I make it do that? Does this mean that something's gone wrong with my sysupgrade?

The upgrade may have included kernel 2.6.4, but if you have not rebooted you are not currently running kernel 2.6.4 you are still at 2.6.3.  Since modprobe uses your running kernel version (uname -r) it is going to continue looking in /lib/modules/2.6.3.  If you really don't want to reboot you should be able to do this:

# depmod -v 2.6.4
# modprobe --set-version 2.6.4 [i]module[/i]

If I were you, I would just simply reboot.  A new kernel is a pretty major change and it would just be easier to do that.  My guess is even with the steps above you will get some symbol errors and the modules may not load.

#5 2004-04-02 02:57:37

Virtual DarKness
Website

I fixed it running "lilo" from root.

bye,
Giovanni.

Linux registered user #72162

Board footer