You are not logged in.

#726 2020-05-16 00:06:23

paysonwallach

Re: Pantheon Shell on Archlinux

Hi everyone,

Thank you for all of the effort that's been put into getting Pantheon running on Arch!

I've managed to get custom keybindings working with the latest versions of Mutter (3.36.2-1), Gala (3.3.2-1), and vanilla GNOME Settings Daemon (3.36.1-1). I wasn't terribly methodical in my experimentation so I don't know if simply updating to the latest versions of the aforementioned packages was sufficient or not but additionally, instead of editing the `Exec` paths of the various GNOME Settings Daemon plugins' `.desktop` files (as previously mentioned in the thread), I moved each plugin's executable to the path originally specified in its `.desktop` file. This reflects their arrangment in elementary OS and I suspect that there may be other components that expect these plugins to be in those locations, namely under `/usr/lib/gnome-settings-daemon/`.

#727 2020-05-16 00:54:45

quequotion
Website

paysonwallach wrote:

instead of editing the `Exec` paths of the various GNOME Settings Daemon plugins' `.desktop` files (as previously mentioned in the thread), I moved each plugin's executable to the path originally specified in its `.desktop` file. This reflects their arrangment in elementary OS and I suspect that there may be other components that expect these plugins to be in those locations, namely under `/usr/lib/gnome-settings-daemon/`.

Thank you for doing this experiment. Moving files away from their install location after pacman has installed them is a radical and unsupported thing to do, however. Your package manager can no longer track those files, ie they will not be replaced by ugrades, the package manager cannot remove them and upgrades will result in two sets of these files on your system.

I am happy you demonstrated that this set of packages can be made to work, but what this problem needs is an upstream fix. I have tried before, but the solution may not be as simple as my attempt. It seems I'm going to have to go back and throw the FHS 2.3 spec at them.

So I did.

Last edited by quequotion (2020-05-16 01:36:25)

#728 2020-05-16 16:13:43

dr_Styki

Hi guys,

I just installed Pantheon yesterday on my new PC and it works very well. So I give you a little feedback.
switchboard-plug-about
Installation

Pantheon packages

from community :

pantheon pantheon-unstable light-locker switchboard-plug-security-privacy

from aur :

elementary-wallpapers-git
pantheon-default-settings
pantheon-notifications-git (master, Go back to commit 5d7e3c479cb38197644db000ffabbe827fcd7e90)
pantheon-session
switchboard-plug-elementary-tweaks-git

Some usefull packages :

cups cups-pk-helper #(for the switchboard Printers plug)
gvfs gvfs-afc gvfs-mtp gvfs-nfs gvfs-smb #(for pantheon files)
pulseaudio-bluetooth #(For bluetooth headset)

Don't forget to enable daemons like :

• lightdm

• NetworkManager

• org.cups.cupsd

• bluetooth

• avahi-daemon

gsd path fix :

Edit each /etc/xdg/autostart/org.gnome.SettingsDaemon.*-pantheon.desktop file and replace "/usr/lib/gnome-settings-daemon" by "/usr/lib".

pantheon.session fix :

Remove org.gnome.SettingsDaemon.Clipboard and org.gnome.SettingsDaemon.Mouse from "RequiredComponents" in /usr/share/gnome-session/sessions/pantheon.session because they are not provided by gsd.

Now, what's working and what doesn't ?

Gala - Ok

• Notifications (aur) - Ok

• Keyboard Shortcuts (Screenshot, Sound, Brightness, Media, Custom, ...) - Ok

• Window tiling - Ok

• Multitask view - Ok

• Picture in Picture - Ok

• Workspaces - Ok

Wingpanel - Ok

• Applications Menu - Ok

• Indicators - Ok

• Bluetooth - Ok

• Datetime - Ok

• Keyboard - Ok

• Network - Ok

• Nightlight - Ok

• Notifications - Ok

• Power - Ok

• Session - Ok

• Sound - Ok

Plank - Ok

Switchboard - Ok

• Personal

• Applications - Ok

• Desktop - Ok

• Language & Region - Ko

• Notifications - Almost Ok

• "Bubbles" button works

• "Sounds" button works

• "Notifications Center" button doesn't work

• Security & Privacy

• History - Ok

• Locking - Not tested yet

• Firewall - Ok

• Housekeeping - Not tested yet

• Location Services - Not tested yet

• Tweaks (AUR) - Ok

• Hardware

• Displays - Ok

• Keyboards - Ok

• Mouse & Touchpad - Ok

• Power - Not tested yet

• Printers - Ok

• Sounds - Ok

• Network & Wireless

• Bluetooth - Ok

• Network - Ok

• Online Accounts - Ko

• Sharing - Not tested yet

• Adminisration

• About - Ok

• Date & Time - Ok

• Screen Time & Limits (Parental Control) - dns filter works. But time limit and app restriction don't.

• Universal Access - Not tested yet

• User Accounts - Ok

Pantheon Greeter - Ok

Work well, but show the wingpanel datetime indicator. It should not. neutral

elementary OS official Apps :

• Calculator - Ok

• Calendar - Ok

• Camera - Unable to test (no webcam)

• Code - Ok

• Files - Ok

• Music - Ok

• Photos - Ok

• Screenshot - Ok

• Shortcut-overlay - Ok

• Terminal - Ok

• Videos - Ok

Bonus elementary independent Apps

Tested independent app that work OOB.
    git clone, arch-meson, ninja, ninja install, enjoy.

Planner : to manage your tasks / projects.
        https://github.com/alainm23/planner

Monitor :  Gnome system monitor like.
        https://github.com/stsdc/monitor

AppEditor : Edit/Create .desktop, name, icon, category, command, etc ...
        https://github.com/donadigo/appeditor

Last edited by dr_Styki (2020-07-05 21:20:51)

#729 2020-05-24 02:30:18

SolarAquarion

There's this pull-request https://github.com/elementary/session-settings/pull/28 for the FHS stuff
for some reason switchboard plugs are not loading, which is weird.  It seems everything is properly linked

#730 2020-08-05 03:10:22

Use**ame

For some reason, the volume and brightness control buttons on the keyboard stopped working again. I did what I said above dr_Styki. What can I do?

#731 2020-08-09 11:20:22

quequotion
Website

kaptenen wrote:

is the time wrong for any one else?

Is this a fresh install (of arch)?

#732 2020-09-28 15:15:58

DAC324

Hello all,

I also have installed Pantheon using pantheon-session-git and so far, it is indeed running very well.

Only things I encountered:

- There seems to be no way to include Pamac's update notifications.
- Pantheon cannot handle setups with two monitors at different solutions very well. For example, if I open a file save or file open dialog, it always appears full screen on my second monitor, which is smaller than my primary one. As a result, the top and bottom margins of the dialog are cut off until I move that dialog window to my primary screen.
- WingPanel does not really seem to work reliably. Currently, it just does not appear, and I cannot seem to figure out why.

Last edited by DAC324 (2020-09-28 17:44:49)

#733 2020-09-29 03:40:15

quequotion
Website

DAC324 wrote:

setups with two monitors at different [re]solutions...the top and bottom margins...are cut off

I have had similar problems when using lightdm-pantheon-greeter. There are more than a dozen (likely) duplicate reports. Basically, pantheon-greeter is completely disregarding xorg configuration and it could be by design (rather than /etc/X11/xorg.conf*, it seems they intend to get configuration from display-manager agnostic ~/.config/monitors.xml, which does not appear to work).

I have not tried, but it may be possible to use a lightdm configuration location for this file to work around this.

A cursory search for information about monitors.xml reveals little other than a lot of people asking for help with their broken screens. There does not appear to be any documentation, and it seems the file is intended to be created (invisibly) only by use of a graphical utility such as the "Displays" plug in switchboard.

My workaround is to use a different greeter for LightDM, such as lightdm-gtk-greeter.

WingPanel does not really seem to work reliably. Currently, it just does not appear, and I cannot seem to figure out why.

You mean it never came up since log in, OR it disappeared and does not come back?

Last edited by quequotion (2020-09-29 03:41:45)

#734 2020-09-29 08:27:46

DAC324

quequotion wrote:
DAC324 wrote:

setups with two monitors at different [re]solutions...the top and bottom margins...are cut off

I have had similar problems when using lightdm-pantheon-greeter. There are more than a dozen (likely) duplicate reports. Basically, pantheon-greeter is completely disregarding xorg configuration and it could be by design (rather than /etc/X11/xorg.conf*, it seems they intend to get configuration from display-manager agnostic ~/.config/monitors.xml, which does not appear to work).

I have not tried, but it may be possible to use a lightdm configuration location for this file to work around this.

A cursory search for information about monitors.xml reveals little other than a lot of people asking for help with their broken screens. There does not appear to be any documentation, and it seems the file is intended to be created (invisibly) only by use of a graphical utility such as the "Displays" plug in switchboard.

My workaround is to use a different greeter for LightDM, such as lightdm-gtk-greeter.

Thanks a lot for these hints. I'll try and see smile
At least,it would already help if File Open / File Save dialogs would not be enlarged to full screen but, let's say, to some custom percentage of screen size.
Unfortunately, I did not find a corresponding setting in the Dconf Editor.

WingPanel does not really seem to work reliably. Currently, it just does not appear, and I cannot seem to figure out why.

You mean it never came up since log in, OR it disappeared and does not come back?

Looks like I was mistaken at that point, sorry for that.
Currently, WingPanel appears but it is completely empty. All the indicators are gone (I only had Application Panel, Date/Time and Power but none of them is visible or clickable).

Last edited by DAC324 (2020-09-29 08:36:38)

#735 2020-09-29 10:01:43

quequotion
Website

DAC324 wrote:

it would already help if File Open / File Save dialogs would not be enlarged to full screen but, let's say, to some custom percentage of screen size.

Pantheon's file dialogs are provided by a gtk plugin built from Pantheon Files. It could be the case that they are following the size set by its dconf settings (todo: check home pc and post the specific dconf key I'm talking about here). I believe the last window state of Files is saved: size, position, and open tabs.

WingPanel appears but it is completely empty...I only had Application Panel, Date/Time and Power but none of them is visible or clickable).

You could try reinstalling those indicators.

Are you sure the version of wingpanel you have installed is from the [community] repository (no "-git", etc)? I ask because of the recent API bump, which we previously discussed on github: currently the -git packages (including my wingpanel-standalone-git) are incompatible with the available indicator packages, since they do not provide libwingpanel-2.0.so. Depending on how you installed it, if you installed one of those -git versions, your indicator packages may have been uninstalled.

Note that the incompatibility is more a matter of packaging than the actual API change: as the project leader has pointed out, everything removed from wingpanel 3.0 was long deprecated. I have indeed found that obfuscating the library name is enough for anything written for wingpanel 2.0 to work with the "new" API (so far). ie, if you want to use wingpanel-(standalone-)git, you need it to lie about the version of the library it installs to convince pacman to allow you to install the indicators packaged for wingpanel 2.0.

#736 2020-09-29 10:54:35

DAC324

quequotion wrote:
DAC324 wrote:

it would already help if File Open / File Save dialogs would not be enlarged to full screen but, let's say, to some custom percentage of screen size.

Pantheon's file dialogs are provided by a gtk plugin built from Pantheon Files. It could be the case that they are following the size set by its dconf settings (todo: check home pc and post the specific dconf key I'm talking about here). I believe the last window state of Files is saved: size, position, and open tabs.

WingPanel appears but it is completely empty...I only had Application Panel, Date/Time and Power but none of them is visible or clickable).

You could try reinstalling those indicators.

I just did that, even several times, but to no avail.

Are you sure the version of wingpanel you have installed is from the [community] repository (no "-git", etc)? I ask because of the recent API bump, which we previously discussed on github: currently the -git packages (including my wingpanel-standalone-git) are incompatible with the available indicator packages, since they do not provide libwingpanel-2.0.so. Depending on how you installed it, if you installed one of those -git versions, your indicator packages may have been uninstalled.

No, it is the package from the official repo, versioned 2.3.2-1. Also, all the indicator packages are the ones from the official repo.

Note that the incompatibility is more a matter of packaging than the actual API change: as the project leader has pointed out, everything removed from wingpanel 3.0 was long deprecated. I have indeed found that obfuscating the library name is enough for anything written for wingpanel 2.0 to work with the "new" API (so far). ie, if you want to use wingpanel-(standalone-)git, you need it to lie about the version of the library it installs to convince pacman to allow you to install the indicators packaged for wingpanel 2.0.

That's a great help. Perhaps I should just try that. Thank you very much for the comment with the instructions how to accomplish that, in AUR.

UPDATE:
Indeed, using your package wingpanel-standalone-git from AUR brought my Wingpanel back.

Looks like the problem was that Wingpanel now expects its indicators to reside in /usr/local/lib/wingpanel instead of /usr/lib/wingpanel.
I created a symlink

sudo ln -sf /usr/lib/wingpanel/ /usr/local/lib

and that brought my indicators back.
Another interesting thing was now that Plank disappeared. I solved this by adding Plank to Cerbere smile

Now I will have to do some research if it is possible to include notifications for Pamac updates and new e-mails in Evolution smile

Kind regards,
DAC324

Last edited by DAC324 (2020-09-29 11:54:56)

#737 2020-09-29 15:21:43

quequotion
Website

using your package wingpanel-standalone-git from AUR brought my Wingpanel back.

Glad that works for you! Enjoy the additional autohide features. Note that "standalone" means I've ripped out all the Gala-dependent features: namely the way the panel is intended to blend with background images or switch from transparent to opaque when windows maximize. I find it to be more performant without these options, but I haven't done any scientific testing to prove this. The panel is always transparent by default, but can be (statically) themed with CSS.

Plank disappeared. I solved this by adding Plank to Cerbere smile

I was about to ask if you are using pantheon-session or pantheon-session-git, because--in theory--cerbere shouldn't be needed with pantheon-session-git (and isn't installed as a dependency of it) as it ought to use gnome-session's built-in management to restart plank if it were to crash (cerbere has been deprecated)--but then I remembered something: we're packaging plank in [community], but not pantheon-dock.

elementary OS has in fact forked plank, and the xdg autostart that is meant to work with gnome-session's built-in management doesn't exist in plank, i.e. it neither autostarts at login nor restarts when crashed.

Unfortunately, pantheon-dock has no tagged release as of yet, i.e. there is no stable version to be packaged, let alone recommended for [community]. There is an unstable version in the AUR: pantheon-dock-git.

Wingpanel now expects its indicators to reside in /usr/local/lib/wingpanel instead of /usr/lib/wingpanel

That's against Archlinux filesystem policy. What version of wingpanel are you referring to? This is not the case with wingpanel-standalone-git, which I am using: all my indicators are in /usr/lib/wingpanel; there is no /usr/local/lib/wingpanel in my filesystem. In fact, there's nothing in /usr/local/lib/ at all.

Now I will have to do some research if it is possible to include notifications

If the kind of notifications you mean are the "bubble in the corner" sort, Gala (3.3.2) has a built-in notifications daemon that integrates with wingpanel-indicator-notifications.

However, not so long ago elementary OS resurrected their standalone notifications daemon--which also has no tagged release, yet: pantheon-notifications-git.

To use the standalone notifications daemon with Gala 3.3.2, you should set the dconf key /org/pantheon/desktop/gala/behavior/use-new-notifications to true (note that this will be deprecated and unnecessary in the next release of Gala).

By the way, since you bring up Pamac, I am becoming concerned that you may be asking for help with Manjaro in these Archlinux forums. There are significant differences between them: no one can guarantee that what works for one works for the other, there could be problems one has that the other does not, slight differences in their default configuration could lead to wildly different outcomes, etc.

Last edited by quequotion (2020-09-30 16:20:45)

#738 2020-09-29 15:45:37

DAC324

quequotion wrote:

For some of the Pantheon packages, I keep getting

:: Running post-transaction hooks...
(1/2) Arming ConditionNeedsUpdate...
(2/2) Compiling GSettings XML schema files...
No such key “show-unicode-menu” in schema “org.gnome.desktop.interface” as specified in override file “/usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas/25_pantheon-default-settings.gschema.override”; ignoring override for this key.
No such key “numlock-state” in schema “org.gnome.settings-daemon.peripherals.keyboard” as specified in override file “/usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas/25_pantheon-default-settings.gschema.override”; ignoring override for this key.
Error parsing key “screensaver” in schema “org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.media-keys” as specified in override file “/usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas/25_pantheon-default-settings.gschema.override”: 0-10:can not parse as value of type 'as'. Ignoring override for this key.
No such key “terminal” in schema “org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.media-keys” as specified in override file “/usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas/25_pantheon-default-settings.gschema.override”; ignoring override for this key.

while installing them.
As this did not seem to have any impact on the functionality of the packages, I ignored it.
But curious as I am: Where does that come from, and will it be possible to fix that somehow?

#739 2020-09-29 17:40:29

quequotion
Website

DAC324 wrote:

this did not seem to have any impact on the functionality of the packages, I ignored it.
But curious as I am: Where does that come from, and will it be possible to fix that somehow?

This is because Pantheon is developed on an older version of gnome-settings-daemon than what we have in Archlinux. Since the missing keys are just ignored, it isn't a problem other than the annoying messages. It might be fixed if elementary OS, upstream, starts developing on a more up-to-date platform than Ubuntu LTS but I would not hold your breath.

An interim solution would be to remove those entries from /usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas/25_pantheon-default-settings.gschema.override.

Alternatively, I have a package for elementary's fork, gnome-settings-daemon-elementary, which you could install. However, it is significantly older than the version shipped by Archlinux. Non-Pantheon GTK applications may not like it.

Edit: Thank you very much for your feedback, by the way. I'll be adding some of these papercuts to the "known issues" section of the wiki and file some issue reports upstream.

Last edited by quequotion (2020-09-30 15:57:39)

#740 2020-10-01 15:33:15

DAC324

quequotion wrote:

By the way, since you bring up Pamac, I am becoming concerned that you may be asking for help with Manjaro in these Archlinux forums. There are significant differences between them: no one can guarantee that what works for one works for the other, there could be problems one has that the other does not, slight differences in their default configuration could lead to wildly different outcomes, etc.

It is possible to install Pamac on Arch Linux smile There is an AUR package. I sometimes appreciate the convenience of not having to look up the pacman options every time you, for example, want to check if updates are available or want to search for a certain package big_smile

Some kind of an update notifier would be great for Arch, too smile

#741 2020-10-02 07:15:32

DAC324

Hello all,

there is just one weird thing about Pantheon here:

I am using LightDM with lightdm-gtk-greeter. (see https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 4#p1928724 )

When I log out of the current session, I expect that I get back to the login screen (greeter) asking me to choose my DE and to log in again.

Instead, when using Pantheon, the screen blanks and afterwards, the Pantheon wallpaper reappears but without WingPanel and/or Plank. There is also no right-click menu anymore when clicking on the desktop.

All I can do in this situation is switching to a text console and either kill X or reboot.

As this does not happen with xfce, I assume that there is some Pantheon setting that needs to be corrected.

Thank you very much for any hint in advance and kind regards,
DAC324

Last edited by DAC324 (2020-10-02 09:39:57)

#742 2020-10-03 13:42:56

quequotion
Website

DAC324 wrote:

When I log out of the current session, I expect that I get back to the login screen (greeter) asking me to choose my DE and to log in again.

Instead, when using Pantheon, the screen blanks and afterwards, the Pantheon wallpaper reappears but without WingPanel and/or Plank. There is also no right-click menu anymore when clicking on the desktop.

This is partly the reason cerbere was retired: rather than figure out how to make it play nice with gnome-session-quit or loginctl when the session ends (it's job is to keep things running, and it refuses to give up), upstream decided to go with gnome-session's built-in management for the interim while they research moving on to systemd management (todo: linkify this paragraph).

Cerbere is not the only thing that could be the cause, but you might try running your session without it and seeing if logout works.

Edit: I notice I have the same problem without cerbere; my compiz-based session bounces back to compiz without plank or wingpanel; need to test my openbox-based session still. When this happens, the keyboard shortcut for the terminal still works: [Ctrl]+[Alt]+[t]

I'm planning to add some instructions to the wiki (under "Known issues" "Configuration and workarounds") for using plank with pantheon-session-git and without cerbere (basically, create the xdg autostart .desktop file that's in pantheon-dock-git). With any luck, you'll be able to remove the package entirely and have nothing to worry about.

By the way, some alternatives to killing X or rebooting:

You might try forcibly logging yourself out of all sessions (will end TTYs as well):

loginctl kill-user $USER

Restarting lightdm is a bit dirty, but usually effective:

systemctl restart lightdm

Last edited by quequotion (2020-10-05 13:48:03)

#743 2020-10-25 07:48:12

Use**ame

Recent versions of gnome-session have problems with displaying fonts and window buttons. In version gnome-session-3.36.0-1, everything is fine in this regard.

#744 2020-11-10 08:05:54

Thorned_Rose

I did a system update (including some pantheon packages) and now Pantheon has gone weird. All the icons have changed, the nightlight won't work anymore, monitors don't show up in the display settings, Tweaks doesn't work at all (I used ePapirus icon theme which no longer shows), the cursor seems to have defaulted to adwaita....

I have no idea what's done this. I've tried downgrading the pantheon packages, gnome-session... but still stuck like this sad

EDIT: Forgot about these being overwritten. Redoing this fixed the issue.

dr_Styki wrote:

Hi guys,

gsd path fix :

Edit each /etc/xdg/autostart/org.gnome.SettingsDaemon.*-pantheon.desktop file and replace "/usr/lib/gnome-settings-daemon" by "/usr/lib".

pantheon.session fix :

Remove org.gnome.SettingsDaemon.Clipboard and org.gnome.SettingsDaemon.Mouse from "RequiredComponents" in /usr/share/gnome-session/sessions/pantheon.session because they are not provided by gsd.

Last edited by Thorned_Rose (2020-11-10 08:30:03)

#745 2021-01-13 22:02:02

quequotion
Website

Semi-periodic upstream bug and progress digest:

pantheon-session is slated to get a new tagged release with elementary OS 6.0. This will be a huge milestone for Distro-agnostic Pantheon (which is officially a thing now, btw), as it will include the fix for the issue encountered by Thorned_Rose and dr_Styki. I'd really like to see this version packaged in [community].

Same for pantheon-notifications, but no response yet regarding pantheon-dock.

The "Lock" menu item on the session indicator got rewritten, and Pantheon no longer depends on light-locker.

Speaking of wing-panel-indicator-session, Hibernate and (Hybrid-)Sleep options are in the works.

pantheon-settings-daemon is about to become its own thing, which looks like a supplement to gnome-settings-daemon(-ubuntu), instead of a fork of it. This might even be possible to ship in [community] once it gets a tagged release, which could solve some long-standing issues such as keyboard shortcut configuration.

Speaking of which, pantheon-dpms-helper has been deprecated, 2, 3. In theory this only functioned with light-locker and gnome-settings-daemon-elementary; RIP.

Finally figured out what's going wrong with multiple-monitors (and other xorg configurations) and lightdm-pantheon-greeter. I don't think upstream is highly concerned about supporting X11 or its configuration files: to use this greeter, especially with a window manager other than gala, one must learn the mostly-undocumented mysteries of "monitors.xml".

Last edited by quequotion (2021-01-13 22:04:50)

#746 2021-03-01 08:31:28

Zarihas

Hi all. After installing the environment from the Community, I get non-working

Tiling when moving with the mouse
Night mode
Hotkeys
Power settings
Also, the latest version of firefox shows pages with small artifacts.

What can be done to fix this?

Last edited by Zarihas (2021-03-18 07:53:23)

#747 2021-03-15 08:38:29

Zarihas

For some reason, the shell refuses to start. Using yay I have installed pantheon-session-git, gnome-settings-daemon-elementary, pantheon-default-settings. There were no installation / build errors. Added to ~/.xinitrc

export XDG_SESSION_TYPE=x11
exec gnome-session --session=pantheon

wingpanel &
plank &
exec gala

After that I try to start the shell through startx, but I get to the page “Oh no! Something went wrong".
The documentation says to remove the faulty component from /usr/share/gnome-session/sessions/pantheon.session. I've experimented with this but didn't get any results.

Thorned_Rose previously wrote about removing org.gnome.SettingsDaemon.Clipboard and org.gnome.SettingsDaemon.Mouse, but they are not inside pantheon.session.

In addition, all files in /etc/xdg/autostart/ now contain the correct paths (/usr/lib), so they do not need to be edited.

Here is the output from journalctl -b https://pastebin.com/YjLAKiAC

Why won't the shell start? What else can I do? Thank you in advance!

Replacing gala with gala-git helped. Night mode now works and power settings seem to work too, but the problem with key combinations has not disappeared anywhere. This is very critical for me.

Last edited by Zarihas (2021-03-17 05:54:25)

#748 2021-04-01 07:43:13

Use**ame

quequotion, tell me, are pantheon packages tied to systemd? I want to know if I will encounter problems when using a different initialization system.

#749 2021-04-03 02:46:54

quequotion
Website

Use**ame wrote:

quequotion, tell me, are pantheon packages tied to systemd? I want to know if I will encounter problems when using a different initialization system.

As far as I know, none of them explicitly require systemd at the moment. They are developed on an Ubuntu base however, so it is likely somewhere down the dependency chain (although being a dependency to build or install the packages does not necessarily imply that it is a runtime dependency of any of the software). I note that it is a dependency of gnome-session, which is a dependency of pantheon-session.

This is likely to change in the future, particularly in regard to pantheon-dock and wingpanel. Upstream is looking into systemd session management to autostart them in place of cerbere, which is already deprecated.

I convinced them to use gnome-session's builtin management for the interim, but it is likely that GNOME themselves are going to transition gnome-settings-daemon (also a dependency) to systemd management and deprecate their own at some point in the future.

Last edited by quequotion (2021-04-03 11:12:08)

#750 2021-05-27 00:41:23

Thorned_Rose

quequotion wrote:

This is likely to change in the future

Hey quequotion, just wondering what your take on the current state of Pantheon on Arch is, with Elementary 6.0 now in beta?

I've been using Budgie for the past 6+ months but with getting a new system and a fresh install of Arch, I was wanting to get my beloved Pantheon back.

I tried using the script here: https://github.com/furesuka/HADRIAN
Normally I would never use a script like this but after several days of one thing after another being an absolute PITA on my PC build, I was tired and shortcut mistakes were made. At any rate, my system would not boot properly after that. Using the 'uninstall' of that script still left stuff behind that meant installing Pantheon properly still resulted in a non-booting system. Installed Budgie and still had issues. So nuked everything back to base install.

Budgie works fine now. But I really would like Pantheon. Should I put the effort in, after all this, or would it be better to wait for Odin to go RC? Thanks as always!!

Last edited by Thorned_Rose (2021-05-27 00:41:50)

Board footer