You are not logged in.

#1 2020-09-29 08:59:24

Candroidgenie

Gnome Terminal writing characters over each other after update

I have been running gnome terminal for quite a while with no issues. After an update a few days ago all of a sudden 3 things happen when I try using the terminal
1. characters seem to be written over each other as if each new frame isn't being cleared in the swap chain
2. the flashing cursor goes all other than place and is often in multiple places at once
3. the background which is normally opaque is whatever is behind it and keeps adding to that so if a white screen like a website is behind it until I close the terminal it will be grey text on a white background.
These make it all but unusable for anything except the most basic of commands like pacman.
Perplexingly when I try to screenshot the issue the transparent background is visible nu but the text glitches aren't in the images.

Attached are some photos of what my screen looks like to me when using gnome terminal.
https://imgur.com/gallery/jFqL6MV
I can't find anything about it online and any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

#2 2020-09-29 14:50:08

Hwiparam

Re: Gnome Terminal writing characters over each other after update

Have you tried changing the default font for terminal? Change to this: "DejaVu Sans Mono" and tell us if the problem still exists.

#3 2020-09-29 17:02:19

sothis6881

I had a similar issue and resolved it by going into Preferences-->Profiles-->Colors and changing the option to use colors from system theme to any of the Built-in schemes.

Last edited by sothis6881 (2020-09-29 17:02:31)

#4 2020-09-29 23:42:32

Candroidgenie

sothis6881 wrote:

I had a similar issue and resolved it by going into Preferences-->Profiles-->Colors and changing the option to use colors from system theme to any of the Built-in schemes.

Thanks so much that fixed the problem.
I am using a custom GTK theme (sweet dark) and setting it back to the default in gnome tweaks then setting the terminal to system default works just fine.
Any idea what's wrong with my GTK theme?

Sorry if this should be made a new question I'm still new to this forum.

#5 2020-10-01 18:49:09

sothis6881

Glad it helped! I'm assuming it has something to do with the work in progress for Gnome 3.38, but that's purely speculation at this point.

#6 2020-10-02 15:29:43

eda2z

Check if your theme has a color defined for text_view_bg in the gtk.css file (something like @define-color text_view_bg #xxxxxx;). I was having problems where the background on tilix was black and the background on gnome terminal was transparent when I told them to use system colors. I have both Nordic-bluish-accent-standard-buttons and Prof-gnome-dark-3.5 installed and it happened in both. There is a post here about arc-gtk-theme which mentions text_view-bg. I edited both themes adding text_view_bg identical to content_view_bg and it solved the problem. I'm not sure if this is your problem but it's worth a shot.

#7 2020-10-07 00:44:12

sothis6881

Fwiw, system theme settings works as expected after updating Gnome components after the release of 3.38

Board footer