You are not logged in.

#1 2020-10-02 11:59:37

Hroozley

[Solved]Installing LabView 2020 on ArchLinux

Hi,

I would like to install a LabView on Arch, so I downloaded a .zip file from NI official website (I have a licence provided by my university). Since NI officially supports RedHat, Fedora, CentOS and Ubuntu, this file contains 4 .rpm and 1 .deb file containing gpg keys and repo info required to install NI software.

I've managed to unpack one of the .rpm files with bsdtar(), add gpg key to my keyring and add the repo address to my pacman.conf. Pacman failed to retrieve *.db file, when I tried to update.

So I wanted to ask, assuming that pacman needs the repository to be of a specific type, whether is there some way, I can use pacman to install from this repository or if I have to install yum for example.

Thanks

Last edited by Hroozley (2020-10-02 13:46:21)

#2 2020-10-02 12:08:19

Lone_Wolf

Re: [Solved]Installing LabView 2020 on ArchLinux

Only use one package manager on a system, never mix them.

Pacman only understands how to use repositories created with repo-add / repo-remove .
Those command only accept packages in a specific format.

The files in the zipfile can likely be converted to make them usable for pacman.
The AUR lists several labview packages, so you're not the first archlinux user that wants labview.

See https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/?O=0 … &K=labview
Is the version you want in that list ?

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#3 2020-10-02 12:50:49

Hroozley

Well I wanted to install labview 2020, but I guess, that I can do all nescessary work with an older version as well.

Lone_Wolf wrote:

The files in the zipfile can likely be converted to make them usable for pacman.

But how could I do the conversion?

#4 2020-10-02 12:58:47

Lone_Wolf

A new package will have to be created, hopefully using the 2018 one as  a start.

I have asked for this thread to be moved to 'creating and modifying packages" board.

Please change the title to something like 'installing labview 2020 with makepkg/pacman' .
Is the zipfile you downloaded accessible without being logged in on labview site ?

Last edited by Lone_Wolf (2020-10-02 12:59:16)

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#5 2020-10-02 13:04:12

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Why would you want to create a repository for these?  Once you create an arch package, you can install it directly with pacman.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#6 2020-10-02 13:09:46

2ManyDogs
Forum Moderator

Not a pacman issue. Moving to Creating and Modifying Packages.

How to post. A sincere effort to use modest and proper language and grammar is a sign of respect toward the community.

#7 2020-10-02 13:25:50

Hroozley

Lone_Wolf wrote:

Is the zipfile you downloaded accessible without being logged in on labview site ?

Yes, you can download them here: https://www.ni.com/cs-cz/support/downlo … tml#350003

Trilby wrote:

Why would you want to create a repository for these?

I don't want to create a repository for these. The zipfile containes files with repository info, so you can add official NI repository to your package manager and install their SW using said package manager ( Based on installation instructions)

#8 2020-10-02 13:32:18

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

There are tools to convert packages from other major distros into arch packages, but there is no way to convert a "respository" from another distro into an arch repository.  It'd be a silly thing to do anyways as there is very little invovled in making a pacman repo.  Once you have the arch packages, you just run repo_add.

You don't need to worry about the hoops people of other users might need to jump through to install LabView - there may not be an equivalent in arch as those steps simply aren't even relevant in arch.  Build the arch package(s) and install them with pacman, that's it.  Create the repo as an intermediate step (with repo_add) if you really want, but it doesn't really serve any purpose.

That said, it sounds like the "repository info" they are referring to may just be - effectively - a set of urls to where packages built for that distro are available.  You need packages built for arch.  If these don't already exist (it looks like they don't) then you need to build them.  And then at that point, you don't need a list of urls pointing to them, as you already have them.

Last edited by Trilby (2020-10-02 13:34:36)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#9 2020-10-02 13:36:04

Hroozley

Okay, so I again checked the LabView web site and it turns out, that my univiersity licence does not cover a Linux version of LabView. Sorry for bothering and thanks for your help

Last edited by Hroozley (2020-10-02 13:37:32)

#10 2020-10-02 13:39:22

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

FYI, all that's actually in that "repo data" is a url to their rpm repository below and a gpg key:
http://download.ni.com/ni-linux-desktop … pm/ni/el7/

#11 2020-10-02 13:40:19

Hroozley

Trilby wrote:

There are tools to convert packages from other major distros into arch packages, but there is no way to convert a "respository" from another distro into an arch repository.  It'd be a silly thing to do anyways as there is very little invovled in making a pacman repo.  Once you have the arch packages, you just run repo_add.

You don't need to worry about the hoops people of other users might need to jump through to install LabView - there may not be an equivalent in arch as those steps simply aren't even relevant in arch.  Build the arch package(s) and install them with pacman, that's it.  Create the repo as an intermediate step (with repo_add) if you really want, but it doesn't really serve any purpose.

That said, it sounds like the "repository info" they are referring to may just be - effectively - a set of urls to where packages built for that distro are available.  You need packages built for arch.  If these don't already exist (it looks like they don't) then you need to build them.  And then at that point, you don't need a list of urls pointing to them, as you already have them.

Thanks, that's what I thought, but I wandered whether there is a way to download the data from these repos and convert them for use on Arch. Since that is impossible and I can't download sources from NI official site I guess I will have to do with LabView 2018.

#12 2020-10-02 13:41:20

Hroozley

Trilby wrote:

FYI, all that's actually in that "repo data" is a url to their rpm repository below and a gpg key:
http://download.ni.com/ni-linux-desktop … pm/ni/el7/

Yes, that's what I meant.

#13 2020-10-02 13:43:16

progandy

FYI, those repositories provided through the download only contain the drivers. Since there are no Arch Linux repositories, you'll have to manually download all files and write a PKGBUILD that extracts the files and creates a new arch linux package.

For LabView itself, you'll need to download the ISO, which is only possible if you have an active license.
https://www.ni.com/de-de/support/downlo … tml#344886
Afterwards, you'll have to again write a PKGBUILD that uses the files contained in the ISO image to build one or more arch packages.

Last edited by progandy (2020-10-02 13:44:01)

| alias CUTF='LANG=en_XX.UTF-8@POSIX ' |

#14 2020-10-02 13:45:58

Hroozley

progandy wrote:

FYI, those repositories provided through the download only contain the drivers. Since there are no Arch Linux repositories, you'll have to manually download all files and write a PKGBUILD that extracts the files and creates a new arch linux package.

For LabView itself, you'll need to download the ISO, which is only possible if you have an active license.
https://www.ni.com/de-de/support/downlo … tml#344886
Afterwards, you'll have to again write a PKGBUILD that uses the files contained in the ISO image to build one or more arch packages.

I see, thank you

Board footer