You are not logged in.

#1 2020-10-02 21:37:40

Simaryp

Optimizing plymouth

After a recent update one of the standard plymouth themes wasn't working anymore and I solved that by just getting an other theme from the AUR, arch-breeze.
By that I became also aware that gdm-plymouth is not needed anymore. With gdm back installed I tried to figure out how to get a background image and ended up using logiized from AUR.

So after updating everything I am still a bit unsatisfied with the result.
So I have refind with a nice grayish theme.
After arch is started booting, I have some kind of switiching with again grayish backgrounds.
Then the plymouth theme is loaded with a black background and the arch logo.
After that it's again grayish and cursors are popping up.
Then it ends up with the gdm screen.

It's not a super important thing, but if it's possible I would like to get this a bit smoother.
An easy solution would be to change the background colour in refind and arch-breeze to the same color. But what about the grayish screens inbetween?
And can I get rid of the cursors?
Is it possible to get something like a fade in for the gdm screen?

#2 2020-10-03 07:41:14

d_fajardo

Re: Optimizing plymouth

can I get rid of the cursors

Yes try adding

quiet splash loglevel=3 rd.udev.log_priority=3 vt.global_cursor_default=0

to your kernel parameters.
What you are describing regarding switching backgrounds seems plymouth's current default behaviour. From my side, the actual plymouth package doesn't work but the plymouth-git does and the behaviour is like you described. Not quite smooth.
I'm in KDE not GDM so I can't vouch for a fade in. In KDE SDDM is able to fade in a splash screen smoothly to the desktop.

Regarding backgrounds, you can just easily download a theme you like, change the current background or anything else you like, then create a PKGBUILD (or modify the one it came with) for the install. That is in a way how I am able to create a unified theme from rEFInd to plymouth to SDDM till my desktop.

#3 2020-10-03 12:59:47

Simaryp

I have all of this parameters already in my refind-linux.conf. Is the order of this important?
I might take the greyish image from my refind theme and include this in the script of arch breeze.

#4 2020-10-03 13:35:16

d_fajardo

Is the order of this important?

I'm not sure but I have it quite early in my list.
Yes having the grey image will 'unify' your setup even if it switches around.
I had a look at the arch-breeze script here and it doesn't have a background image declaration so you have to modify this as well to add your background.

Edit: Might you also need to generate mkinitcpio after changes to your kernel parameters?

Last edited by d_fajardo (2020-10-03 13:38:13)

#5 2020-10-03 14:22:25

Simaryp

Hmm I tried to dig a bit deeper and think I have mainly two or three problems.
1. When the lenovo splash is done. Refind starts with my selected theme. But the screen flashes three times as reported here by another user with video example https://sourceforge.net/p/refind/discus … 4a1c15903/
So far there seems to be no solution nor explanation.
2. When refind loads my initramfs. The background of the theme is replaced by a homogeneous grey screen before the actual plymouth theme starts. I have absolutely no clue what is responsible for this color or image. Refind, plymouth, uefi?
3. When the plymouth theme is done, the screen becomes the very same grey again. After some seconds my cursor appears near the lower right corner and then gdm is displayed.

Leaving the flashing out of focus as there seems to be no known solution, I am wondering how I can replace this grey screen. Because if thats not possible I would need to set all images to the very same boring grey to get it smooth.

#6 2020-10-03 15:33:14

d_fajardo

the screen flashes three times

I get that too but in my desktop, the flashes cascades very quickly like curtains and it doesn't bother me. In fact I quite like it. But yes there doesn't seem to be any explanation. rEFInd is fast so my pure guess is rEFInd kicks ion just before the framebuffer is fully loaded. But that's a pure guess.

the theme is replaced by a homogeneous grey screen before the actual plymouth theme starts

Again I get the same behaviour and again I am guessing that there is a gap between rEFInd and plymouth and that gap is just being filled by whatever is left of the framebuffer. I guess this is firmware as well because in my laptop running pretty much the same setup but different themes as my desktop, I don't get the colored screen but just plain blank before plymouth starts.

When the plymouth theme is done, the screen becomes the very same grey again.

Same with my desktop but not my laptop so again might be firmware related. For myself, what I have is a fairly customized setup for rEFInd, plymouth, sddm and KDE incorporating those flickerings so it looks like they are meant to be. The great thing about rEFInd and plymouth is they are highly customizable but it's also still in an area where their behaviour is at the mercy of the firmware. I can get 4k for instance in my desktop all the way through but in my laptop the proper graphics kicks in only with plymouth but not rEFInd. The resources you have - refind.conf and plymouthd.conf - are probably the only places you can influence their behaviour. I can easily be wrong and I'd like also to know if others have better ideas.

#7 2020-10-03 19:11:31

Simaryp

Thx for your feedback. Maybe it is like it is. But if somebody else has an idea, I am really curious.
Where can I find te plymouthd.conf?

#8 2020-10-03 20:36:29

d_fajardo

/etc/plymouth
It's just a setting there on how long to wait before the splash.

Board footer