You are not logged in.

#1 2020-10-05 17:58:14

Tutorius

[SOLVED] System bricked after unsuccessfull update

Hi,
yesterday i tried to update my system as many time before. Everything looked well, no errors with missing dependicies, so hit "ENTER" to let it work...

The fies were all loaded, the update started as usual to unload the DKMS-things, then it stopped, i don't remember the message there, but i was unable to start a new pacman -Syu cause my password was not taken anymore.
A restart lead into a system that is unable to boot cause vmlinuz is missing, the boot manager (systemd_boot) starts, but the partition to boot has nothing inside to boot.

My question is, what is the best way to get this working again?

Thanks for your thoughts about this, would be nice if there is a way to solve this.

Hartmut

Edit:
PS: Have started an actual arch-linux-intsall-medium, mounted my disks and chrooted into the system.

All linux-boot-things (.img, vmlinuz.* and so on) are deleted. So i need a way to get these back.
I am not sure what happens when i use pacstrap to install a system on these disks, what will be useable of my formerly installed software?
Any hints what to do to to get only these system files?

Last edited by Tutorius (2020-10-05 20:49:53)

#2 2020-10-05 20:26:45

xerxes_

Re: [SOLVED] System bricked after unsuccessfull update

From archboot medium, arch-chroot, mount boot and any partition you need, reinstall your linux kernel and your bootloader (by for example 'pacman -S linux'), do eventually 'mkinitcpio -g /boot/initramfs-linux.img -k /boot/vmlinuz-linux' if it's not done when you reinstall. If you use grub do 'grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg'.

For other bootloaders I don't know what you need to do, because I don't use them - see wiki, also see wiki installation guide, because I could forget about something...

Last edited by xerxes_ (2020-10-05 20:28:32)

#3 2020-10-05 20:49:14

Tutorius

Re: [SOLVED] System bricked after unsuccessfull update

Thanks for the answer, i have found the solution short before in a forum post, and the system is running again with all installed...

I did not know that it is possible to chroot a system like mine and it can be altered by using pacman...

Everything is an easy task, when you know what to do smile

Thanks, i will mark this as SOLVED

Board footer