You are not logged in.

#1 2020-10-09 03:17:44

pfdint

Google killing cloud print, solutions for linux?

So what are people doing now that Cloud Print has just 3 months on death row remaining?

I haven't set up a printer on linux in years. On any OS, actually. I don't even remember how to do it. Instead, to print, I'd just open the file in chromium as an image or pdf, and ctrl-p and it would let me print to any of my printers across the country. No setup. Since that's going away, I went to the wiki for printing info, and I'm pretty sure I went pale when it just directed me to the CUPS page. I remember cups from 11 years ago, nobody's dragging me back down to that hell. Surely there is something else around for linux at this point?

What solutions have arch users been using to obtain similar functionality as cloud print?

#2 2020-10-09 03:43:54

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: Google killing cloud print, solutions for linux?

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2020-10-09 17:48:41

pfdint

nc brother.lan1 9100 < mydocument.pdf 

Using netcat to throw documents at a printer

Can't deny that's pretty neat!

#4 2020-10-09 21:33:14

progandy

If your printers support IPP Everywhere /AirPrint, then setup is pretty simple. Install/enable/start cups and possibly avahi, add the printer (or set up cups-browsed). If your printer is connected via usb, you'll have to install and configure ipp-usb as well.
Edit: I believe for GTK print dialogs it should even be enough to just install/enable/start avahi, it should then autodetect IPP/AirPrint printers without any further configuration. That may also work with local printers that use ipp-usb, but I have not tested that. [source]
Edit: For Qt it is possibly enough to simply install and start cups as well without any further configuration [source]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_ … g_Protocol
https://wiki.debian.org/CUPSDriverlessPrinting

As a side note, depending on the manufacturer configuring cups shouldn't be too difficult. As I remember, installing hplip for my HP device was trivial.

Last edited by progandy (2020-10-10 07:08:47)

| alias CUTF='LANG=en_XX.UTF-8@POSIX ' |

Board footer