You are not logged in.

#1 2020-10-14 07:02:50

liticovjesac

Loading initial ramdisk problem - kernel 5.8.14

Hi,
after latest kernel update 5.8.14 system doesnt boot after message "loading initial ramdisk". If I use initramfs from same kernel (fallback) I can boot in the system.

I have tried many things to resolve this problem with not much success. Only thing that worked for me was downgrading kernel to 5.7.7

What did I do:
-rebuilt latest kernel which shows missing module xhci_pci. I didnt try to look for this specific firmware since it shouldnt create a problem according to forums. Maybe I should do that?
-installed linux-lts 5.4.70 : cant boot the system with it. Same error.
-generate new grub config
-checked efi mount

Any suggestion? Thanx.

Last edited by liticovjesac (2020-10-19 13:13:48)

#2 2020-10-14 07:29:03

V1del
Forum Moderator

Re: Loading initial ramdisk problem - kernel 5.8.14

Have you changed something in the mkinitcpio.conf for the main image that would potentially bite here?

The xhci_pci error should be irrelevant and for all purposes happen on the fallback image as well. If a graphical display manager/session is supposed to start you might have to setup early KMS for your graphics adapter modules.

What does "not boot" mean? Can you change TTYs? Or does that already not work?

#3 2020-10-14 07:43:40

liticovjesac

I did not change anything in mkinitcpio.conf

Sorry for unclear Doesnt boot.
What I mean is : I press power button, grub menu comes up. I choose first option in menu which is current linux kernel 5.8.14 (or I open other grub menus and choose there what I want: lts or fallback) and after that comes only 2 message lines when I choose linux or linux-lts. Second is loading initial ramdisk, first is something short. Nothing happens after that. Those 2 messages stay on screen.

But with downgraded linux 5.7.7 everything works fine.

I did not try TTYs. Should I ?

#4 2020-10-14 08:26:24

liticovjesac

Well, I just installed missing firmware upd72020x-fw from aur which should have missing module xhci_pci, updated linux to 5.8.14 and its working.
If that was a problem I dont know but this might help someone.
Thanx.

#5 2020-10-19 16:19:54

liticovjesac

Sorry to change topic from SOLVED to open issue. I still have a problem with loading ramdisk ...

I have done clean arch install since there was a lot of rubbish on this computer. fstab was checked for efi partition during installation. Linux and linux-lts have been installed. Grub bootloader. Only first boot was successful. After that I was somehow randomly able to boot either lts or linux or linux fallback.

mkinitcpio doesnt show any problem. I havent done any changes in config file. Grub looks ok. I even tried manually to mkinitcpio with -p or with -P flag and reconfigured grub after every creation of ramdisk and result now is that I can boot only lts but not linux. Linux I can boot just as fallback.

Ideas? Suggestions?

Is it possible to move this topic to Kernel & Hardware ?

Last edited by liticovjesac (2020-10-19 20:37:56)

Board footer