You are not logged in.

#1 2020-10-16 17:02:11

nocreativity

GDM/wayland: Switch to another user on lock screen doesn't work

I used to be able on the GDM lock screen to select a different user and login in parallel to the other session (the reason is a shared notebook where user A might not have logged out but user B would like to use is without killing user A's session). The icon still exists (on lower right of the password entry screen) - it shows silhuettes of two persons. Clicking on that icon shows no reaction. (It used to show the usual list of possible interactive users.)
SW is an up to date arch linux, currently:

gdm 3.38.0-1
wayland-1.18.0-2
Linux 5.8.14-arch1-1

Do you have any idea how I might enable user switching on the GDM lock screen again?

Last edited by nocreativity (2020-10-17 18:43:19)

#2 2020-11-29 18:01:05

nocreativity

Re: GDM/wayland: Switch to another user on lock screen doesn't work

For user switching to work, I have two correct gconf settings:

org.gnome.desktop.lockdown disable-user-switching false
org.gnome.desktop.screensaver user-switch-enabled true

The GNOME Display Manager Reference Manual says that user switching also depends on "Virtual Terminals" being available (see https://help.gnome.org/admin/gdm/stable … ew.html.en):

2.9. Fast User Switching

GDM allows multiple users to be logged in at the same time. After one user is logged in, additional users can log in via the User Switcher on the GNOME Panel, or from the "Switch User" button in Lock Screen dialog of GNOME Screensaver. The active session can be changed back and forth using the same mechanism. Note that some distributions may not add the User Switcher to the default panel configuration. It can be added using the panel context menu.

Note this feature is available on systems that support Virtual Terminals. This feature will not function if Virtual Terminals is not available.

I'm not sure what Gnome means by "Virtual Terminals". (Of course I can switch to a terminal "inside" Gnome by calling Gnome terminal and of course I can access terminals by Ctrl-Alt-functionkey like F3.)

How can I, in Arch Linux, enable the Virtual Terminals that Gnome is talking about?

Board footer