You are not logged in.

#1 2020-10-17 07:32:22

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

[solved]Gnome-does the panel have media player notifications/controls?

I've been away from Gnome (and DEs) for years now, but with the new and more powerful machine I thought I'd check out how they were faring.

Have gotten Gnome mostly set up with various extensions (pop-shell being the most important one, closely followed by dash-to-panel) to feel like a prettier awesomewm, but now I've hit a roadbump which feels incongruous. I can't get media player notifications on the panel at all!

It seems this should be built in on gnome-shell 3.36 at least, but even on 3.38 I just don't see anything when mopidy is playing, or when I open something up in vlc. Even gnome-music shows nothing. This is true both on the original gnome-shell panel as well as on the panel which I've replaced it with (dash-to-panel).

A quick search on the AUR shows gnome-shell-extension-mediaplayer (121 votes but obviously abandoned) and gnome-shell-extension-mpris-indicator-button (same author as the above, but package was last updated in 2018). The latter will probably work but a quick glance on the page shows that it's not really what I'm looking for (showing info on the panel) instead its more like a popup media panel of its own.

Am I missing something? Surely this would be very common.

Last edited by ngoonee (2020-10-18 23:04:18)

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#2 2020-10-17 13:58:20

ooo

Re: [solved]Gnome-does the panel have media player notifications/controls?

There's a built in notification/control bubble, that appears in the calendar menu (when you click the clock in the middle of the top panel) and should work with any applications that supports MPRIS.

If you want the controls directly on the panel, instead of a submenu, you'd need an extension, but I don't know if there's an existing one with this functionality.

#3 2020-10-18 00:16:06

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

ooo wrote:

There's a built in notification/control bubble, that appears in the calendar menu (when you click the clock in the middle of the top panel) and should work with any applications that supports MPRIS.

I have that notification bubble, and I see notifications there, but there's nothing showing even with my MPRIS-supporting player (mopidy).

I expect you have something working there, what player are you using (so I can test it out and see if the issue is in my gnome install or my mopidy setup)?

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#4 2020-10-18 01:41:55

ooo

The audio control notification should only appear if there's some MPRIS client running. You should also see the media title, and/or be able to control the playback if everything is working correctly.

I can confirm this working at least with latest Firefox and Chomium when playing video from youtube. Also mpv-mpris plugin and deadbeef-mpris2-plugin from AUR are working with their host applications, and I think that's all I got installed for now.

EDIT. I can confirm Rhythmbox working as well.

Last edited by ooo (2020-10-18 01:43:25)

#5 2020-10-18 23:03:39

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

ooo wrote:

The audio control notification should only appear if there's some MPRIS client running. You should also see the media title, and/or be able to control the playback if everything is working correctly.

I can confirm this working at least with latest Firefox and Chomium when playing video from youtube. Also mpv-mpris plugin and deadbeef-mpris2-plugin from AUR are working with their host applications, and I think that's all I got installed for now.

EDIT. I can confirm Rhythmbox working as well.

Thanks for your help, I see firefox with youtube shows (i hardly use youtube so I've never seen that). Now to debug why my mopidy doesn't....

Edit: For anyone who comes across this - the problem is some interaction between mopidy-mpris and gnome-shell. mopidy-mpris devs can't figure it out for now.

Last edited by ngoonee (Yesterday 01:51:22)

Board footer