You are not logged in.

#1 2004-03-20 00:13:33

blitze

USB Mouse issues with X-Server

Hello Arch Linuxians (sounds geeky but not intended).  After stumbling onto this Distro from Debian all I can say is I'm impressed with what I've seen so far.  I always wanted a simple cruft free distribution and this is it but )-:

I can not for the life of me findout why my Logitech USB Mouseman is not working under X

Using Kernel 2.6.4 built using the package system so I could pull my hair out and get the Nvidia drivers running, of which they are thanks to the folks here but it was a hybred of solutions that worked for me (SMP setup was the problem for the default install I think).

Now, I have followed the advise I have seen on this board but I am not getting any response from my mouse.  X displays the pointer but there is no movement or button capabilities.

I have checked XFree86.0.log and seen no errors pertaining to it and it is recognised.  The only thing I can think of at the point in time is that my XF86Config referes to the mouse being Identified as Mouse1 as opposed to Mouse0 but at the end of my config the Server Layout section corresponds to it with

InputDevice "Mouse1" "CorePointer"
    InputDevice "Keyboard1" "CoreKeyboard"

My thinking might lead to /dev/input/mouse0 bing of some help if I identify my mouse as 0 not 1

Will have to try that as well but my mouse section in XF86Config looks consistant with everything I have read )-:

Section "InputDevice"

# Identifier and driver

Identifier "Mouse1"
    Driver "mouse"
    Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
    Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
    Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
    Option "Emulate3Buttons" "no"

Any ideas?  I am looking to installing hwd to look into what hardware is recognised on my system when I finish work today.  Also use rc.conf for loading my nvidia module or modprobe.conf?

All help appreciated.
Thanks[/code]

Leave ones footprint not in the physical world but the in the world of the mind.

#2 2004-03-20 00:57:57

dp
Website

Re: USB Mouse issues with X-Server

hwd do not work fine with 2.6.x kernels as far i can remember ... but not sure about this

Identifier "Mouse1" ... this Mouse1 is only a name for the mouse ... it has not a connection to the /dev/input/mouseX, and if /dev/input/mice exist under this location, it should also work ...

to have more infos, try:

[damir@Asteraceae /]$ more /var/log/messages | grep mouse

and

[damir@Asteraceae /]$ more /var/log/XFree86.0.log | grep mouse

and

[damir@Asteraceae /]$ more /var/log/kernel | grep mouse

and make sure you have libusb installed, as it handles some usb things for the 2.6.x kernel and usb things maybe can have problems working if this is not installed in your system:

pacman -S libusb

The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed.

#3 2004-03-20 02:02:02

blitze

Will try your suggestions soon and get back to let you know.

Strange that under Debian Unstable and 2.6.4 kernel it was fine but then maybe Debian included the libs that were needed.  Pity it ran like garbage on my SMP AMD box.  Was very dissapointed so that's why I decided on Arch especially reading a users comments on responsiveness due to the i686 compiles compared to i386 of Debians.

Leave ones footprint not in the physical world but the in the world of the mind.

#4 2004-03-20 07:04:13

blitze

Had to load the hid module so I edited my rc.conf file and all is happy.  Now working on a functional system and getting there slowely.  Great to actually have to see and learn what is going on with Linux instead of everything being automated.

This community seems very good too.  Learnt a lot on the boards just searching and reading. lol

Board footer