You are not logged in.

#1 2020-10-18 09:11:22

tchici

How do I Prevent nvidia Module From Auto-Loading (Optimus Laptop)?

To clear up title as soon as possible, I do not mean the nvidia module loads during boot; it happens when I open certain programs.

Hi,

I am using Arch Linux on a dual-GPU laptop. I use optimus-manager for switching between the Intel GPU and the NVIDIA GPU. This works fine 99% of the time. Rarely, I would notice my fans start spinning and then I check `dmesg` and `lspci -k` to find out that the nvidia module somehow loaded. I ignored these instances since they were so rare.

Recently, I basically had to enable hardware video acceleration on Firefox, then I noticed, the first time I start Firefox takes longer than usual and the fans start spinning; the nvidia module loaded itself. Every time I start Firefox and the nvidia module is not loaded, it loads itself needlessly before starting Firefox. Firefox doesn't even use it (going to about:support, I can see its using the Intel GPU; also `nvidia-smi` shows no processes). This happens with both the OpenGL and WebRender compositor (even though the WebRender compositor should be blocking the NVIDIA GPU to my knowledge).

Thinking back on those rare instances where the nvidia module would somehow load, I noticed this also happens in the occasions where I am playing a game on my Intel GPU through wine. I also noticed this happening when I start Steam (even with hardware acceleration disabled in the Settings --> Interface menu). Curiously, the nvidia module does not auto-load when I run picom using the glx backend. I also tried a native Linux game to see if it loads the nvidia module, but it doesn't (I think its hardware accelerated since its using SDL2, which uses OpenGL: <https://github.com/tsoding/nothing>).

Some configuration that might be helpful in diagnosis:

$ cat /etc/optimus-manager/optimus-manager.conf
[optimus]
switching=none
pci_power_control=yes
pci_remove=no
pci_reset=no
auto_logout=no
startup_mode=intel
startup_auto_battery_mode=intel
startup_auto_extpower_mode=intel

How I run picom:

$ picom --config /dev/null --backend glx --glx-no-stencil --glx-no-rebind-pixmap --vsync --daemon

I could barely find anyone having the same problem I am. Here is one <https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1 … art-0.html>. I tried the suggestion, but it did not seem to work (I know optimus-manager overwrites the X11 configuration, but I made sure it was not overwritten when I tried it). Here is another post of someone having the same problem: <https://www.reddit.com/r/firefox/commen … n_wayland/>.

The only "solution" I came up with is to set pci_remove to yes in the optimus-manager configuration. This removes the NVIDIA GPU from the PCI bus. However, this makes optimus-manager fail switching 90% of the time, and if it does there is a chance a kworker hangs making this "solution" a non-option. I did also experiment with the pci_reset to see if it would solve these problems, but it didn't.

In summary, when I boot, the nvidia module is not loaded and my X11 is configured to use my Intel GPU (thanks to optimus-manager), but
Firefox with hardware acceleration enabled loads nvidia module when started.
A game run through wine loads nvidia module when started.
Steam loads nvidia module when started (even when hardware acceleration is disabled).
None of them will actually use the NVIDIA GPU (which is expected).
picom with glx backend doesn't load nvidia module when started.
A native Linux game doesn't load nvidia module when started (<https://github.com/tsoding/nothing>).

Does anyone have any idea how I can prevent the nvidia module from auto-loading?

Thanks.

#2 2020-10-18 13:17:41

Lone_Wolf

Re: How do I Prevent nvidia Module From Auto-Loading (Optimus Laptop)?

No idea how to prevent that, but some ideas how to get closer to the cause.

- What WM/DE are you using and have you tried with another WM /DE ?

- firefox HW acceleration is usually disabled when there's no compositor running.

stop/disable picom and check whether firefox , steam , game under wine still load the nvidia module ?

- firefox about:support graphics section with and without picom enabled may have useful info.
- Running firefox from terminal may also provide clues.

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#3 2020-10-19 01:48:05

tchici

Hi,

This problem occurs at least with Openbox and i3.

Disabling picom did not have an effect with the nvidia module (it still loaded). I also just disabled redshift throughout, just in case this was having an effect.

I diffed the output of the graphics section with and without picom, and there was no difference. Here is one of them:

Graphics
--------

Features
Compositing: WebRender
Asynchronous Pan/Zoom: wheel input enabled; touch input enabled; scrollbar drag enabled; keyboard enabled; autoscroll enabled
WebGL 1 Driver WSI Info: EGL_VENDOR: Mesa Project EGL_VERSION: 1.5 EGL_EXTENSIONS: EGL_ANDROID_blob_cache EGL_ANDROID_native_fence_sync EGL_CHROMIUM_sync_control EGL_EXT_buffer_age EGL_EXT_create_context_robustness EGL_EXT_image_dma_buf_import EGL_EXT_image_dma_buf_import_modifiers EGL_EXT_swap_buffers_with_damage EGL_IMG_context_priority EGL_KHR_cl_event2 EGL_KHR_config_attribs EGL_KHR_create_context EGL_KHR_create_context_no_error EGL_KHR_fence_sync EGL_KHR_get_all_proc_addresses EGL_KHR_gl_colorspace EGL_KHR_gl_renderbuffer_image EGL_KHR_gl_texture_2D_image EGL_KHR_gl_texture_3D_image EGL_KHR_gl_texture_cubemap_image EGL_KHR_image EGL_KHR_image_base EGL_KHR_image_pixmap EGL_KHR_no_config_context EGL_KHR_reusable_sync EGL_KHR_surfaceless_context EGL_KHR_swap_buffers_with_damage EGL_EXT_pixel_format_float EGL_KHR_wait_sync EGL_MESA_configless_context EGL_MESA_drm_image EGL_MESA_image_dma_buf_export EGL_MESA_query_driver EGL_NOK_texture_from_pixmap EGL_WL_bind_wayland_display EGL_EXTENSIONS(nullptr): EGL_EXT_platform_base EGL_EXT_device_base EGL_EXT_device_enumeration EGL_EXT_device_query EGL_KHR_client_get_all_proc_addresses EGL_EXT_client_extensions EGL_KHR_debug EGL_KHR_platform_x11 EGL_EXT_platform_x11 EGL_EXT_platform_device EGL_KHR_platform_wayland EGL_EXT_platform_wayland EGL_MESA_platform_gbm EGL_KHR_platform_gbm EGL_MESA_platform_surfaceless
WebGL 1 Driver Renderer: Intel -- Mesa Intel(R) UHD Graphics 620 (WHL GT2)
WebGL 1 Driver Version: 4.6 (Compatibility Profile) Mesa 20.2.0
WebGL 1 Driver Extensions: GL_ARB_multisample GL_EXT_abgr GL_EXT_bgra GL_EXT_blend_color GL_EXT_blend_minmax GL_EXT_blend_subtract GL_EXT_copy_texture GL_EXT_subtexture GL_EXT_texture_object GL_EXT_vertex_array GL_EXT_compiled_vertex_array GL_EXT_texture GL_EXT_texture3D GL_IBM_rasterpos_clip GL_ARB_point_parameters GL_EXT_draw_range_elements GL_EXT_packed_pixels GL_EXT_point_parameters GL_EXT_rescale_normal GL_EXT_separate_specular_color GL_EXT_texture_edge_clamp GL_SGIS_generate_mipmap GL_SGIS_texture_border_clamp GL_SGIS_texture_edge_clamp GL_SGIS_texture_lod GL_ARB_framebuffer_sRGB GL_ARB_multitexture GL_EXT_framebuffer_sRGB GL_IBM_multimode_draw_arrays GL_IBM_texture_mirrored_repeat GL_3DFX_texture_compression_FXT1 GL_ARB_texture_cube_map GL_ARB_texture_env_add GL_ARB_transpose_matrix GL_EXT_blend_func_separate GL_EXT_fog_coord GL_EXT_multi_draw_arrays GL_EXT_secondary_color GL_EXT_texture_env_add GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic GL_EXT_texture_lod_bias GL_INGR_blend_func_separate GL_NV_blend_square GL_NV_light_max_exponent GL_NV_texgen_reflection GL_NV_texture_env_combine4 GL_S3_s3tc GL_SUN_multi_draw_arrays GL_ARB_texture_border_clamp GL_ARB_texture_compression GL_EXT_framebuffer_object GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc GL_EXT_texture_env_combine GL_EXT_texture_env_dot3 GL_MESA_window_pos GL_NV_packed_depth_stencil GL_NV_texture_rectangle GL_ARB_depth_texture GL_ARB_occlusion_query GL_ARB_shadow GL_ARB_texture_env_combine GL_ARB_texture_env_crossbar GL_ARB_texture_env_dot3 GL_ARB_texture_mirrored_repeat GL_ARB_window_pos GL_ATI_fragment_shader GL_EXT_stencil_two_side GL_EXT_texture_cube_map GL_NV_depth_clamp GL_NV_fog_distance GL_APPLE_packed_pixels GL_ARB_draw_buffers GL_ARB_fragment_program GL_ARB_fragment_shader GL_ARB_shader_objects GL_ARB_vertex_program GL_ARB_vertex_shader GL_ATI_draw_buffers GL_ATI_texture_env_combine3 GL_ATI_texture_float GL_EXT_shadow_funcs GL_EXT_stencil_wrap GL_MESA_pack_invert GL_NV_primitive_restart GL_ARB_depth_clamp GL_ARB_fragment_program_shadow GL_ARB_half_float_pixel GL_ARB_occlusion_query2 GL_ARB_point_sprite GL_ARB_shading_language_100 GL_ARB_sync GL_ARB_texture_non_power_of_two GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object GL_ATI_blend_equation_separate GL_EXT_blend_equation_separate GL_OES_read_format GL_ARB_color_buffer_float GL_ARB_pixel_buffer_object GL_ARB_texture_compression_rgtc GL_ARB_texture_float GL_ARB_texture_rectangle GL_EXT_packed_float GL_EXT_pixel_buffer_object GL_EXT_texture_compression_dxt1 GL_EXT_texture_compression_rgtc GL_EXT_texture_rectangle GL_EXT_texture_sRGB GL_EXT_texture_shared_exponent GL_ARB_framebuffer_object GL_EXT_framebuffer_blit GL_EXT_framebuffer_multisample GL_EXT_packed_depth_stencil GL_ARB_vertex_array_object GL_ATI_separate_stencil GL_EXT_draw_buffers2 GL_EXT_draw_instanced GL_EXT_gpu_program_parameters GL_EXT_gpu_shader4 GL_EXT_texture_array GL_EXT_texture_integer GL_EXT_texture_sRGB_decode GL_EXT_timer_query GL_OES_EGL_image GL_AMD_performance_monitor GL_EXT_texture_buffer_object GL_AMD_texture_texture4 GL_ARB_copy_buffer GL_ARB_depth_buffer_float GL_ARB_draw_instanced GL_ARB_half_float_vertex GL_ARB_instanced_arrays GL_ARB_map_buffer_range GL_ARB_texture_buffer_object GL_ARB_texture_rg GL_ARB_texture_swizzle GL_ARB_vertex_array_bgra GL_EXT_texture_swizzle GL_EXT_vertex_array_bgra GL_NV_conditional_render GL_AMD_conservative_depth GL_AMD_depth_clamp_separate GL_AMD_draw_buffers_blend GL_AMD_seamless_cubemap_per_texture GL_AMD_shader_stencil_export GL_ARB_ES2_compatibility GL_ARB_blend_func_extended GL_ARB_compatibility GL_ARB_debug_output GL_ARB_draw_buffers_blend GL_ARB_draw_elements_base_vertex GL_ARB_explicit_attrib_location GL_ARB_fragment_coord_conventions GL_ARB_provoking_vertex GL_ARB_sample_shading GL_ARB_sampler_objects GL_ARB_seamless_cube_map GL_ARB_shader_stencil_export GL_ARB_shader_texture_lod GL_ARB_tessellation_shader GL_ARB_texture_buffer_object_rgb32 GL_ARB_texture_cube_map_array GL_ARB_texture_gather GL_ARB_texture_multisample GL_ARB_texture_query_lod GL_ARB_texture_rgb10_a2ui GL_ARB_uniform_buffer_object GL_ARB_vertex_type_2_10_10_10_rev GL_EXT_provoking_vertex GL_EXT_texture_snorm GL_MESA_texture_signed_rgba GL_NV_copy_image GL_NV_texture_barrier GL_ARB_draw_indirect GL_ARB_get_program_binary GL_ARB_gpu_shader5 GL_ARB_gpu_shader_fp64 GL_ARB_robustness GL_ARB_separate_shader_objects GL_ARB_shader_bit_encoding GL_ARB_shader_precision GL_ARB_shader_subroutine GL_ARB_texture_compression_bptc GL_ARB_timer_query GL_ARB_transform_feedback2 GL_ARB_transform_feedback3 GL_ARB_vertex_attrib_64bit GL_ARB_viewport_array GL_EXT_direct_state_access GL_EXT_vertex_attrib_64bit GL_AMD_multi_draw_indirect GL_ANGLE_texture_compression_dxt3 GL_ANGLE_texture_compression_dxt5 GL_ARB_base_instance GL_ARB_compressed_texture_pixel_storage GL_ARB_conservative_depth GL_ARB_internalformat_query GL_ARB_map_buffer_alignment GL_ARB_shader_atomic_counters GL_ARB_shader_image_load_store GL_ARB_shading_language_420pack GL_ARB_shading_language_packing GL_ARB_texture_storage GL_ARB_transform_feedback_instanced GL_EXT_framebuffer_multisample_blit_scaled GL_EXT_transform_feedback GL_AMD_query_buffer_object GL_AMD_shader_trinary_minmax GL_AMD_vertex_shader_layer GL_AMD_vertex_shader_viewport_index GL_ARB_ES3_compatibility GL_ARB_arrays_of_arrays GL_ARB_clear_buffer_object GL_ARB_compute_shader GL_ARB_copy_image GL_ARB_explicit_uniform_location GL_ARB_fragment_layer_viewport GL_ARB_framebuffer_no_attachments GL_ARB_invalidate_subdata GL_ARB_multi_draw_indirect GL_ARB_program_interface_query GL_ARB_robust_buffer_access_behavior GL_ARB_shader_image_size GL_ARB_shader_storage_buffer_object GL_ARB_stencil_texturing GL_ARB_texture_buffer_range GL_ARB_texture_query_levels GL_ARB_texture_storage_multisample GL_ARB_texture_view GL_ARB_vertex_attrib_binding GL_KHR_debug GL_KHR_robustness GL_KHR_texture_compression_astc_ldr GL_AMD_pinned_memory GL_ARB_buffer_storage GL_ARB_clear_texture GL_ARB_compute_variable_group_size GL_ARB_enhanced_layouts GL_ARB_indirect_parameters GL_ARB_internalformat_query2 GL_ARB_multi_bind GL_ARB_query_buffer_object GL_ARB_seamless_cubemap_per_texture GL_ARB_shader_draw_parameters GL_ARB_shader_group_vote GL_ARB_shading_language_include GL_ARB_texture_mirror_clamp_to_edge GL_ARB_texture_stencil8 GL_ARB_vertex_type_10f_11f_11f_rev GL_EXT_shader_framebuffer_fetch GL_EXT_shader_integer_mix GL_INTEL_performance_query GL_ARB_ES3_1_compatibility GL_ARB_clip_control GL_ARB_conditional_render_inverted GL_ARB_cull_distance GL_ARB_derivative_control GL_ARB_direct_state_access GL_ARB_get_texture_sub_image GL_ARB_pipeline_statistics_query GL_ARB_shader_texture_image_samples GL_ARB_texture_barrier GL_ARB_transform_feedback_overflow_query GL_EXT_polygon_offset_clamp GL_KHR_blend_equation_advanced GL_KHR_blend_equation_advanced_coherent GL_KHR_context_flush_control GL_KHR_robust_buffer_access_behavior GL_ARB_fragment_shader_interlock GL_ARB_gpu_shader_int64 GL_ARB_parallel_shader_compile GL_ARB_post_depth_coverage GL_ARB_shader_atomic_counter_ops GL_ARB_shader_ballot GL_ARB_shader_clock GL_ARB_shader_viewport_layer_array GL_EXT_shader_samples_identical GL_KHR_no_error GL_KHR_texture_compression_astc_sliced_3d GL_NV_fragment_shader_interlock GL_ARB_gl_spirv GL_ARB_spirv_extensions GL_MESA_shader_integer_functions GL_ARB_polygon_offset_clamp GL_ARB_texture_filter_anisotropic GL_KHR_parallel_shader_compile GL_EXT_EGL_image_storage GL_EXT_shader_framebuffer_fetch_non_coherent GL_EXT_texture_sRGB_R8 GL_EXT_texture_shadow_lod GL_INTEL_blackhole_render GL_INTEL_shader_atomic_float_minmax GL_INTEL_shader_integer_functions2 GL_MESA_framebuffer_flip_y GL_NV_compute_shader_derivatives GL_EXT_EGL_sync GL_EXT_demote_to_helper_invocation
WebGL 1 Extensions: ANGLE_instanced_arrays EXT_blend_minmax EXT_color_buffer_half_float EXT_float_blend EXT_frag_depth EXT_shader_texture_lod EXT_sRGB EXT_texture_compression_bptc EXT_texture_compression_rgtc EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic MOZ_debug OES_element_index_uint OES_fbo_render_mipmap OES_standard_derivatives OES_texture_float OES_texture_float_linear OES_texture_half_float OES_texture_half_float_linear OES_vertex_array_object WEBGL_color_buffer_float WEBGL_compressed_texture_astc WEBGL_compressed_texture_etc WEBGL_compressed_texture_s3tc WEBGL_compressed_texture_s3tc_srgb WEBGL_debug_renderer_info WEBGL_debug_shaders WEBGL_depth_texture WEBGL_draw_buffers WEBGL_lose_context
WebGL 2 Driver WSI Info: EGL_VENDOR: Mesa Project EGL_VERSION: 1.5 EGL_EXTENSIONS: EGL_ANDROID_blob_cache EGL_ANDROID_native_fence_sync EGL_CHROMIUM_sync_control EGL_EXT_buffer_age EGL_EXT_create_context_robustness EGL_EXT_image_dma_buf_import EGL_EXT_image_dma_buf_import_modifiers EGL_EXT_swap_buffers_with_damage EGL_IMG_context_priority EGL_KHR_cl_event2 EGL_KHR_config_attribs EGL_KHR_create_context EGL_KHR_create_context_no_error EGL_KHR_fence_sync EGL_KHR_get_all_proc_addresses EGL_KHR_gl_colorspace EGL_KHR_gl_renderbuffer_image EGL_KHR_gl_texture_2D_image EGL_KHR_gl_texture_3D_image EGL_KHR_gl_texture_cubemap_image EGL_KHR_image EGL_KHR_image_base EGL_KHR_image_pixmap EGL_KHR_no_config_context EGL_KHR_reusable_sync EGL_KHR_surfaceless_context EGL_KHR_swap_buffers_with_damage EGL_EXT_pixel_format_float EGL_KHR_wait_sync EGL_MESA_configless_context EGL_MESA_drm_image EGL_MESA_image_dma_buf_export EGL_MESA_query_driver EGL_NOK_texture_from_pixmap EGL_WL_bind_wayland_display EGL_EXTENSIONS(nullptr): EGL_EXT_platform_base EGL_EXT_device_base EGL_EXT_device_enumeration EGL_EXT_device_query EGL_KHR_client_get_all_proc_addresses EGL_EXT_client_extensions EGL_KHR_debug EGL_KHR_platform_x11 EGL_EXT_platform_x11 EGL_EXT_platform_device EGL_KHR_platform_wayland EGL_EXT_platform_wayland EGL_MESA_platform_gbm EGL_KHR_platform_gbm EGL_MESA_platform_surfaceless
WebGL 2 Driver Renderer: Intel -- Mesa Intel(R) UHD Graphics 620 (WHL GT2)
WebGL 2 Driver Version: 4.6 (Core Profile) Mesa 20.2.0
WebGL 2 Driver Extensions: GL_3DFX_texture_compression_FXT1 GL_AMD_conservative_depth GL_AMD_depth_clamp_separate GL_AMD_draw_buffers_blend GL_AMD_gpu_shader_int64 GL_AMD_multi_draw_indirect GL_AMD_performance_monitor GL_AMD_pinned_memory GL_AMD_query_buffer_object GL_AMD_seamless_cubemap_per_texture GL_AMD_shader_stencil_export GL_AMD_shader_trinary_minmax GL_AMD_texture_texture4 GL_AMD_vertex_shader_layer GL_AMD_vertex_shader_viewport_index GL_ANGLE_texture_compression_dxt3 GL_ANGLE_texture_compression_dxt5 GL_ARB_ES2_compatibility GL_ARB_ES3_1_compatibility GL_ARB_ES3_2_compatibility GL_ARB_ES3_compatibility GL_ARB_arrays_of_arrays GL_ARB_base_instance GL_ARB_blend_func_extended GL_ARB_buffer_storage GL_ARB_clear_buffer_object GL_ARB_clear_texture GL_ARB_clip_control GL_ARB_compressed_texture_pixel_storage GL_ARB_compute_shader GL_ARB_compute_variable_group_size GL_ARB_conditional_render_inverted GL_ARB_conservative_depth GL_ARB_copy_buffer GL_ARB_copy_image GL_ARB_cull_distance GL_ARB_debug_output GL_ARB_depth_buffer_float GL_ARB_depth_clamp GL_ARB_derivative_control GL_ARB_direct_state_access GL_ARB_draw_buffers GL_ARB_draw_buffers_blend GL_ARB_draw_elements_base_vertex GL_ARB_draw_indirect GL_ARB_draw_instanced GL_ARB_enhanced_layouts GL_ARB_explicit_attrib_location GL_ARB_explicit_uniform_location GL_ARB_fragment_coord_conventions GL_ARB_fragment_layer_viewport GL_ARB_fragment_shader GL_ARB_fragment_shader_interlock GL_ARB_framebuffer_no_attachments GL_ARB_framebuffer_object GL_ARB_framebuffer_sRGB GL_ARB_get_program_binary GL_ARB_get_texture_sub_image GL_ARB_gl_spirv GL_ARB_gpu_shader5 GL_ARB_gpu_shader_fp64 GL_ARB_gpu_shader_int64 GL_ARB_half_float_pixel GL_ARB_half_float_vertex GL_ARB_indirect_parameters GL_ARB_instanced_arrays GL_ARB_internalformat_query GL_ARB_internalformat_query2 GL_ARB_invalidate_subdata GL_ARB_map_buffer_alignment GL_ARB_map_buffer_range GL_ARB_multi_bind GL_ARB_multi_draw_indirect GL_ARB_occlusion_query2 GL_ARB_parallel_shader_compile GL_ARB_pipeline_statistics_query GL_ARB_pixel_buffer_object GL_ARB_point_sprite GL_ARB_polygon_offset_clamp GL_ARB_post_depth_coverage GL_ARB_program_interface_query GL_ARB_provoking_vertex GL_ARB_query_buffer_object GL_ARB_robust_buffer_access_behavior GL_ARB_robustness GL_ARB_sample_shading GL_ARB_sampler_objects GL_ARB_seamless_cube_map GL_ARB_seamless_cubemap_per_texture GL_ARB_separate_shader_objects GL_ARB_shader_atomic_counter_ops GL_ARB_shader_atomic_counters GL_ARB_shader_ballot GL_ARB_shader_bit_encoding GL_ARB_shader_clock GL_ARB_shader_draw_parameters GL_ARB_shader_group_vote GL_ARB_shader_image_load_store GL_ARB_shader_image_size GL_ARB_shader_objects GL_ARB_shader_precision GL_ARB_shader_stencil_export GL_ARB_shader_storage_buffer_object GL_ARB_shader_subroutine GL_ARB_shader_texture_image_samples GL_ARB_shader_texture_lod GL_ARB_shader_viewport_layer_array GL_ARB_shading_language_420pack GL_ARB_shading_language_include GL_ARB_shading_language_packing GL_ARB_spirv_extensions GL_ARB_stencil_texturing GL_ARB_sync GL_ARB_tessellation_shader GL_ARB_texture_barrier GL_ARB_texture_buffer_object GL_ARB_texture_buffer_object_rgb32 GL_ARB_texture_buffer_range GL_ARB_texture_compression_bptc GL_ARB_texture_compression_rgtc GL_ARB_texture_cube_map_array GL_ARB_texture_filter_anisotropic GL_ARB_texture_float GL_ARB_texture_gather GL_ARB_texture_mirror_clamp_to_edge GL_ARB_texture_multisample GL_ARB_texture_non_power_of_two GL_ARB_texture_query_levels GL_ARB_texture_query_lod GL_ARB_texture_rectangle GL_ARB_texture_rg GL_ARB_texture_rgb10_a2ui GL_ARB_texture_stencil8 GL_ARB_texture_storage GL_ARB_texture_storage_multisample GL_ARB_texture_swizzle GL_ARB_texture_view GL_ARB_timer_query GL_ARB_transform_feedback2 GL_ARB_transform_feedback3 GL_ARB_transform_feedback_instanced GL_ARB_transform_feedback_overflow_query GL_ARB_uniform_buffer_object GL_ARB_vertex_array_bgra GL_ARB_vertex_array_object GL_ARB_vertex_attrib_64bit GL_ARB_vertex_attrib_binding GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object GL_ARB_vertex_shader GL_ARB_vertex_type_10f_11f_11f_rev GL_ARB_vertex_type_2_10_10_10_rev GL_ARB_viewport_array GL_ATI_blend_equation_separate GL_ATI_texture_float GL_EXT_EGL_image_storage GL_EXT_EGL_sync GL_EXT_abgr GL_EXT_blend_equation_separate GL_EXT_demote_to_helper_invocation GL_EXT_draw_buffers2 GL_EXT_draw_instanced GL_EXT_framebuffer_blit GL_EXT_framebuffer_multisample GL_EXT_framebuffer_multisample_blit_scaled GL_EXT_framebuffer_object GL_EXT_framebuffer_sRGB GL_EXT_packed_depth_stencil GL_EXT_packed_float GL_EXT_pixel_buffer_object GL_EXT_polygon_offset_clamp GL_EXT_provoking_vertex GL_EXT_shader_framebuffer_fetch GL_EXT_shader_framebuffer_fetch_non_coherent GL_EXT_shader_integer_mix GL_EXT_shader_samples_identical GL_EXT_texture_array GL_EXT_texture_compression_dxt1 GL_EXT_texture_compression_rgtc GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic GL_EXT_texture_integer GL_EXT_texture_sRGB GL_EXT_texture_sRGB_R8 GL_EXT_texture_sRGB_decode GL_EXT_texture_shadow_lod GL_EXT_texture_shared_exponent GL_EXT_texture_snorm GL_EXT_texture_swizzle GL_EXT_timer_query GL_EXT_transform_feedback GL_EXT_vertex_array_bgra GL_EXT_vertex_attrib_64bit GL_IBM_multimode_draw_arrays GL_INTEL_blackhole_render GL_INTEL_conservative_rasterization GL_INTEL_performance_query GL_INTEL_shader_atomic_float_minmax GL_INTEL_shader_integer_functions2 GL_KHR_blend_equation_advanced GL_KHR_blend_equation_advanced_coherent GL_KHR_context_flush_control GL_KHR_debug GL_KHR_no_error GL_KHR_parallel_shader_compile GL_KHR_robust_buffer_access_behavior GL_KHR_robustness GL_KHR_texture_compression_astc_ldr GL_KHR_texture_compression_astc_sliced_3d GL_MESA_framebuffer_flip_y GL_MESA_pack_invert GL_MESA_shader_integer_functions GL_MESA_texture_signed_rgba GL_NV_compute_shader_derivatives GL_NV_conditional_render GL_NV_copy_image GL_NV_depth_clamp GL_NV_fragment_shader_interlock GL_NV_packed_depth_stencil GL_NV_texture_barrier GL_OES_EGL_image GL_S3_s3tc
WebGL 2 Extensions: EXT_color_buffer_float EXT_float_blend EXT_texture_compression_bptc EXT_texture_compression_rgtc EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic MOZ_debug OES_texture_float_linear WEBGL_compressed_texture_astc WEBGL_compressed_texture_etc WEBGL_compressed_texture_s3tc WEBGL_compressed_texture_s3tc_srgb WEBGL_debug_renderer_info WEBGL_debug_shaders WEBGL_lose_context
Window Protocol: x11
Desktop Environment: unknown
Off Main Thread Painting Enabled: true
Off Main Thread Painting Worker Count: 4
Target Frame Rate: 60
GPU #1
Active: Yes
Description: Mesa Intel(R) UHD Graphics 620 (WHL GT2)
Vendor ID: 0x8086
Device ID: 0x3ea0
Driver Vendor: mesa/iris
Driver Version: 20.2.0.0
RAM: 3072

Diagnostics
AzureCanvasBackend: skia
AzureContentBackend: skia
AzureFallbackCanvasBackend: none
CairoUseXRender: 0
CMSOutputProfile: Empty profile data
Display0: 1920x1080 default
DisplayCount: 1
Decision Log
HW_COMPOSITING:
available by default
OPENGL_COMPOSITING:
available by default
WEBRENDER:
opt-in by default: WebRender is an opt-in feature
available by user: Force enabled by envvar
WEBRENDER_QUALIFIED:
available by default
denied by env: Not on allowlist
WEBRENDER_COMPOSITOR:
disabled by default: Disabled by default
WEBRENDER_ANGLE:
opt-in by default: WebRender ANGLE is an opt-in feature
WEBRENDER_DCOMP_PRESENT:
opt-in by default: WebRender DirectComposition is an opt-in feature
OMTP:
available by default
WEBGPU:
disabled by default: Disabled by default
blocked by runtime: WebGPU can only be enabled in nightly

Here is the output of Firefox from the terminal:

Can't find symbol 'eglGetNativeClientBufferANDROID'.
Can't find symbol 'eglQuerySurfacePointerANGLE'.
Can't find symbol 'eglCreateStreamProducerD3DTextureANGLE'.
Can't find symbol 'eglStreamPostD3DTextureANGLE'.

I also just tried mpv and pressed Ctrl+h to switch to vaapi hardware decoding, and it loaded the nvidia module with the following warning in the terminal for mpv:

[ffmpeg] AVHWDeviceContext: Failed to query surface attributes: 20 (the requested function is not implemented).
[vo/gpu/vaapi-egl] failed to retrieve libavutil frame constraints
Using hardware decoding (vaapi).

#4 2020-10-19 06:21:04

V1del
Forum Moderator

What's your output of

vainfo

sounds to me like something is incorrectly configured here

Configure VAAPI to use the intel and not the nvidia driver: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ha … ing_VA-API

Last edited by V1del (2020-10-19 06:22:15)

#5 2020-10-19 07:04:02

tchici

Here is the output of `vainfo`:

vainfo: VA-API version: 1.9 (libva 2.9.1)
vainfo: Driver version: Intel iHD driver for Intel(R) Gen Graphics - 20.2.0 ()
vainfo: Supported profile and entrypoints
      VAProfileNone                   :	VAEntrypointVideoProc
      VAProfileNone                   :	VAEntrypointStats
      VAProfileMPEG2Simple            :	VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileMPEG2Simple            :	VAEntrypointEncSlice
      VAProfileMPEG2Main              :	VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileMPEG2Main              :	VAEntrypointEncSlice
      VAProfileH264Main               :	VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileH264Main               :	VAEntrypointEncSlice
      VAProfileH264Main               :	VAEntrypointFEI
      VAProfileH264Main               :	VAEntrypointEncSliceLP
      VAProfileH264High               :	VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileH264High               :	VAEntrypointEncSlice
      VAProfileH264High               :	VAEntrypointFEI
      VAProfileH264High               :	VAEntrypointEncSliceLP
      VAProfileVC1Simple              :	VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileVC1Main                :	VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileVC1Advanced            :	VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileJPEGBaseline           :	VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileJPEGBaseline           :	VAEntrypointEncPicture
      VAProfileH264ConstrainedBaseline:	VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileH264ConstrainedBaseline:	VAEntrypointEncSlice
      VAProfileH264ConstrainedBaseline:	VAEntrypointFEI
      VAProfileH264ConstrainedBaseline:	VAEntrypointEncSliceLP
      VAProfileVP8Version0_3          :	VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileVP8Version0_3          :	VAEntrypointEncSlice
      VAProfileHEVCMain               :	VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileHEVCMain               :	VAEntrypointEncSlice
      VAProfileHEVCMain               :	VAEntrypointFEI
      VAProfileHEVCMain10             :	VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileHEVCMain10             :	VAEntrypointEncSlice
      VAProfileVP9Profile0            :	VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileVP9Profile2            :	VAEntrypointVLD

I did read that Wiki page. To me it looks like its using the Intel GPU. I verified using `intel_gpu_top` and checked with `htop` that there is, indeed, a reduced CPU load. Also, `nvidia-smi` shows that nothing is using the NVIDIA GPU.

I just tried setting `LIBVA_DRIVER_NAME` and `VDPAU_DRIVER` explicitly, but that does not seem to make any difference.

I don't know too much about this topic, but I assumed those warnings were just that the Intel GPU does not support some more advanced features, but it's working for my purposes.

Edit:
Just trying to be explicit, in case I did something wrong, I set the following:

export LIBVA_DRIVER_NAME=iHD
export VDPAU_DRIVER=va_gl

I'm not sure if VDPAU is related, but I just realized that `vdpauinfo` segfaults:

Starting program: /usr/bin/vdpauinfo
[Thread debugging using libthread_db enabled]
Using host libthread_db library "/usr/lib/libthread_db.so.1".
display: :0.0   screen: 0
[New Thread 0x7fffee806640 (LWP 1832)]
[New Thread 0x7fffee005640 (LWP 1833)]
[New Thread 0x7fffed804640 (LWP 1834)]
[New Thread 0x7fffed003640 (LWP 1835)]
API version: 1
Information string: OpenGL/VAAPI backend for VDPAU

Video surface:

name   width height types
-------------------------------------------
420     4096  4096  NV12 YV12 UYVY YUYV Y8U8V8A8 V8U8Y8A8 NV24 YV24 P010 P016 Y_U_V_444_16
422     4096  4096  NV12 YV12 UYVY YUYV Y8U8V8A8 V8U8Y8A8 NV24 YV24 P010 P016 Y_U_V_444_16
444     4096  4096  NV12 YV12 UYVY YUYV Y8U8V8A8 V8U8Y8A8 NV24 YV24 P010 P016 Y_U_V_444_16
420_16  4096  4096  NV12 YV12 UYVY YUYV Y8U8V8A8 V8U8Y8A8 NV24 YV24 P010 P016 Y_U_V_444_16
422_16  4096  4096  NV12 YV12 UYVY YUYV Y8U8V8A8 V8U8Y8A8 NV24 YV24 P010 P016 Y_U_V_444_16
444_16  4096  4096  NV12 YV12 UYVY YUYV Y8U8V8A8 V8U8Y8A8 NV24 YV24 P010 P016 Y_U_V_444_16

Decoder capabilities:

name                        level macbs width height
----------------------------------------------------
MPEG1                          --- not supported ---
MPEG2_SIMPLE                   --- not supported ---
MPEG2_MAIN                     --- not supported ---
H264_BASELINE                  51 16384  2048  2048
H264_MAIN                      51 16384  2048  2048
H264_HIGH                      51 16384  2048  2048
VC1_SIMPLE                     --- not supported ---
VC1_MAIN                       --- not supported ---
VC1_ADVANCED                   --- not supported ---
MPEG4_PART2_SP                 --- not supported ---
MPEG4_PART2_ASP                --- not supported ---
DIVX4_QMOBILE                  --- not supported ---
DIVX4_MOBILE                   --- not supported ---
DIVX4_HOME_THEATER             --- not supported ---
DIVX4_HD_1080P                 --- not supported ---
DIVX5_QMOBILE                  --- not supported ---
DIVX5_MOBILE                   --- not supported ---
DIVX5_HOME_THEATER             --- not supported ---
DIVX5_HD_1080P                 --- not supported ---
H264_CONSTRAINED_BASELINE      51 16384  2048  2048
H264_EXTENDED                  --- not supported ---
H264_PROGRESSIVE_HIGH          --- not supported ---
H264_CONSTRAINED_HIGH          --- not supported ---
H264_HIGH_444_PREDICTIVE       --- not supported ---
VP9_PROFILE_0                  --- not supported ---
VP9_PROFILE_1                  --- not supported ---
VP9_PROFILE_2                  --- not supported ---
VP9_PROFILE_3                  --- not supported ---
HEVC_MAIN                      --- not supported ---
HEVC_MAIN_10                   --- not supported ---
HEVC_MAIN_STILL                --- not supported ---
HEVC_MAIN_12                   --- not supported ---
HEVC_MAIN_444                  --- not supported ---
HEVC_MAIN_444_10               --- not supported ---
HEVC_MAIN_444_12               --- not supported ---

Output surface:

name              width height nat types
----------------------------------------------------
B8G8R8A8         16384 16384    y
R8G8B8A8         16384 16384    y
R10G10B10A2      16384 16384    y
B10G10R10A2      16384 16384    y
A8               16384 16384    y

Bitmap surface:

name              width height
------------------------------
B8G8R8A8         16384 16384
R8G8B8A8         16384 16384
R10G10B10A2      16384 16384
B10G10R10A2      16384 16384
A8               16384 16384

Video mixer:

feature name                    sup
------------------------------------
DEINTERLACE_TEMPORAL             -
DEINTERLACE_TEMPORAL_SPATIAL     -
INVERSE_TELECINE                 -
NOISE_REDUCTION                  -
SHARPNESS                        -
LUMA_KEY                         -
HIGH QUALITY SCALING - L1        -
HIGH QUALITY SCALING - L2        -
HIGH QUALITY SCALING - L3        -
HIGH QUALITY SCALING - L4        -
HIGH QUALITY SCALING - L5        -
HIGH QUALITY SCALING - L6        -
HIGH QUALITY SCALING - L7        -
HIGH QUALITY SCALING - L8        -
HIGH QUALITY SCALING - L9        -

parameter name                  sup      min      max
-----------------------------------------------------
VIDEO_SURFACE_WIDTH              -
VIDEO_SURFACE_HEIGHT             -
CHROMA_TYPE                      -
LAYERS                           -

attribute name                  sup      min      max
-----------------------------------------------------
BACKGROUND_COLOR                 -
CSC_MATRIX                       -
NOISE_REDUCTION_LEVEL            -
SHARPNESS_LEVEL                  -
LUMA_KEY_MIN_LUMA                -
LUMA_KEY_MAX_LUMA                -

[Thread 0x7fffed003640 (LWP 1835) exited]
[Thread 0x7fffed804640 (LWP 1834) exited]
[Thread 0x7fffee005640 (LWP 1833) exited]
[Thread 0x7fffee806640 (LWP 1832) exited]

Thread 1 "vdpauinfo" received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
0x00007ffff62e392f in ?? () from /usr/lib/dri/iris_dri.so
(gdb) bt
#0  0x00007ffff62e392f in ?? () from /usr/lib/dri/iris_dri.so
#1  0x00007ffff62ee699 in ?? () from /usr/lib/dri/iris_dri.so
#2  0x00007ffff623a781 in ?? () from /usr/lib/dri/iris_dri.so
#3  0x00007ffff6021a7b in ?? () from /usr/lib/dri/iris_dri.so
#4  0x00007ffff5fb4cdf in ?? () from /usr/lib/dri/iris_dri.so
#5  0x00007ffff5f6f8d6 in ?? () from /usr/lib/dri/iris_dri.so
#6  0x00007ffff63c7243 in ?? () from /usr/lib/dri/iris_dri.so
#7  0x00007ffff7684310 in ?? () from /usr/lib/libGLX_mesa.so.0
#8  0x00007ffff7670391 in ?? () from /usr/lib/libGLX_mesa.so.0
#9  0x00007ffff78ad983 in ?? () from /usr/lib/vdpau/libvdpau_va_gl.so.1
#10 0x00007ffff78ae656 in ?? () from /usr/lib/vdpau/libvdpau_va_gl.so.1
#11 0x00007ffff788ef0b in ?? () from /usr/lib/vdpau/libvdpau_va_gl.so.1
#12 0x00007ffff78b9b85 in ?? () from /usr/lib/vdpau/libvdpau_va_gl.so.1
#13 0x00007ffff78ba208 in ?? () from /usr/lib/vdpau/libvdpau_va_gl.so.1
#14 0x00007ffff7acbdb7 in __run_exit_handlers () from /usr/lib/libc.so.6
#15 0x00007ffff7acbf5e in exit () from /usr/lib/libc.so.6
#16 0x00007ffff7ab4159 in __libc_start_main () from /usr/lib/libc.so.6
#17 0x00005555555563ee in ?? ()

This segfault happens whether the environmental variables are set or not. The variables don't seem to have an effect...

Last edited by tchici (2020-10-19 07:24:14)

Board footer