You are not logged in.

#1 2020-10-18 14:38:42

samhh

bangin - shell script which enables DuckDuckGo-like bangs

Hi there!

I wrote this a few weeks ago and on the advice of an AUR commenter am sharing it here.

bangin is a primitive, portable shell script which enables DuckDuckGo-like bangs. It can be thought of as a simple pure function, for example:

$ bangin 'bangin!hn'
https://hn.algolia.com/?q=bangin

The idea is essentially to allow the decentralisation and customisation of bangs.

The repo can be found here and the AUR package here. The issues in the repo provide some idea of where the project could go next.

Hope some folks can find it useful. smile

#2 2020-10-18 14:48:18

Slithery
Administrator

Re: bangin - shell script which enables DuckDuckGo-like bangs

No, it didn't "fix" anything. It just shifted the brokeness one space to the right. - jasonwryan
Closing -- for deletion; Banning -- for muppetry. - jasonwryan

aur - dotfiles

#3 2020-10-18 17:12:17

samhh

I have not, interesting. At first glance the biggest differentiator appears to be scope; whereas bangin intends to do one thing and do it well (ideally, soon, with surrounding supplementary tooling), Interrobang is a bit more ambitious/monolithic.

#4 2021-04-10 13:47:54

samhh

Bumping this as the feature set has improved a bit, specifically:

- A server that plugs into bangin has been written that allows it to be used as your local search engine. In theory you could even deploy this to an intranet or the wider internet if you wanted to use it anywhere (though I've not verified the safety of doing so!).
- Aliases are now supported in banglists, for example: !apkg,!archpkg,!arch https://www.archlinux.org/packages/?q={{{s}}}

Note that the project now lives on sourcehut.

Board footer