You are not logged in.

#1 2020-10-18 16:45:40

callmejoe

[solved] can't get systemd-boot to work

i've historically installed any OS I use with legacy BIOS on MBR disks. Thought I would try out UEFI and GPT for an Arch install in VirtualBox to see how it all works.

Usually i use GRUB as my bootloader, but decided to try out systemd-boot.  But i just cant seem to get it recognize the Arch install.

I followed the wiki, but I am obviously missing something.

I've mounted my esp partition to /efi
vdcoEYS.png

installed EFI bootmgr with

# bootctl install

Edited the loader.conf and entries files
fd3ExNU.png

P9DJKd3.png

on reboot i do not see the Arch install entry. 
Lcd7xOPl.png

Last edited by callmejoe (2020-10-18 18:40:24)

#2 2020-10-18 16:48:51

V1del
Forum Moderator

Re: [solved] can't get systemd-boot to work

systemd-boot cannot load binaries off of linux filesystems (or rather it can only do so if your UEFI has linux filesystem drivers and exposes these during boot... which really isn't a thing in any real world scenario).

So if you mount your ESP to /efi that will mean that the kernel images got written to /boot on the linux partition. The easiest to fix this is to mount your ESP to /boot and reinstall the linux package/rerun mkinitcpio

Last edited by V1del (2020-10-18 16:52:30)

#3 2020-10-18 18:39:52

callmejoe

Re: [solved] can't get systemd-boot to work

V1del wrote:

systemd-boot cannot load binaries off of linux filesystems (or rather it can only do so if your UEFI has linux filesystem drivers and exposes these during boot... which really isn't a thing in any real world scenario).

So if you mount your ESP to /efi that will mean that the kernel images got written to /boot on the linux partition. The easiest to fix this is to mount your ESP to /boot and reinstall the linux package/rerun mkinitcpio

perfect. now working. thanks!

Board footer