You are not logged in.

#1 2020-10-17 06:14:28

Wheelman

Ideapad S145 brightness Fn keys not working with xfce

Hello,

I'm running the EFISTUB with lightdm autologin into xfce DE on a Lenovo S145-15IWL. Intel Celeron 4205U with Intel UHD 610 integrated graphics using modesetting driver.

The Fn keys for brightness control do not work. Most other Fn keys work except the Fn + F6(disables touchpad)
I can adjust brightness with xfce power manager.

The following doesn't appear to do anything:
Enabling "Handle display brightness keys"
Installing xf86-video-intel
Adding acpi_osi=Linux or acpi_osi="!Windows12" to kernel parameter
Adding acpi_osi= throws out errors on boot and disables my touchpad

When going to xfce4 keyboard settings to add a shortcut key the Fn keys for brightness do not register. Same symptom when using xbindkeys --key

I could use some help in figuring this out. At the very least please point me where I can find out what's taking control? of the brightness Fn keys.

Thank you.

Last edited by Wheelman (2020-10-17 06:29:36)

#2 2020-10-17 14:36:14

Lone_Wolf

Re: Ideapad S145 brightness Fn keys not working with xfce

For clarity :
you have tried https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ba … ng_in_Xfce ?

Do the keys work if you boot to console (append systemd.unit=multi-user.target to your bootloader commandline ) ?

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#3 2020-10-17 20:00:28

Wheelman

Thank you for your response.

Yes I've tried the link above. Initially it was disabled. I enabled "handle display brightness keys" and it doesn't change anything.

Booting into console by appending the above line into bootloader doesn't change anything. I verified with cat /sys/class/backlight/intel_backlight/actual_brightness Also checked /sys/class/backlight/intel_backlight/brightness. The values of both do change when adjusting the brightness slider via xfce power manager.

Side question: Can I just disable lightdm.service instead of appending the bootloader commandline for troubleshooting?

#4 2020-10-18 11:35:36

Lone_Wolf

Systemd on archlinux defaults to graphical target which starts X .
Disabling lightdm.service doesn't change that, but you can change the default target to multi-user* .

See https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Sy … _boot_into .
Another option is to add an entry to your bootloader for booting multi-user .

The reason I asked you to boot to multi-user is that backlight problems often have to do with the kernel module used by the graphics card.
Your results suggest the problem is not with xfce, but with the kernel module.

It looks like you are using an intel iGPU , check entries related to i915 on the powermanagement page.
Also please post full output lspci -k to verify the use of the i915 module.

* Those of us that prefer startx / xinit over display manager / graphical login  do that.

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

#5 2020-10-18 23:58:02

Wheelman

Thank you for explaining that to me. I've added systemd.unit=multi-user.target to the bootloader kernel parameter.

Here is my lspci -k output

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Device 3e35 (rev 0b)
	Subsystem: Lenovo Device 3803
	Kernel driver in use: skl_uncore
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Device 3ea1
	Subsystem: Lenovo Device 3f1a
	Kernel driver in use: i915
	Kernel modules: i915
00:04.0 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v5/E3-1500 v5/6th Gen Core Processor Thermal Subsystem (rev 0b)
	Subsystem: Lenovo Device 382d
	Kernel driver in use: proc_thermal
	Kernel modules: processor_thermal_device
00:08.0 System peripheral: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v5/v6 / E3-1500 v5 / 6th/7th/8th Gen Core Processor Gaussian Mixture Model
	Subsystem: Lenovo Device 3861
00:12.0 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation Cannon Point-LP Thermal Controller (rev 30)
	Subsystem: Lenovo Device 3811
	Kernel driver in use: intel_pch_thermal
	Kernel modules: intel_pch_thermal
00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation Cannon Point-LP USB 3.1 xHCI Controller (rev 30)
	Subsystem: Lenovo Device 3810
	Kernel driver in use: xhci_hcd
	Kernel modules: xhci_pci
00:14.2 RAM memory: Intel Corporation Cannon Point-LP Shared SRAM (rev 30)
	Subsystem: Lenovo Device 3809
00:15.0 Serial bus controller [0c80]: Intel Corporation Cannon Point-LP Serial IO I2C Controller #0 (rev 30)
	Subsystem: Lenovo Device 3813
	Kernel driver in use: intel-lpss
	Kernel modules: intel_lpss_pci
00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation Cannon Point-LP MEI Controller #1 (rev 30)
	Subsystem: Lenovo Device 380f
	Kernel driver in use: mei_me
	Kernel modules: mei_me
00:17.0 SATA controller: Intel Corporation Cannon Point-LP SATA Controller [AHCI Mode] (rev 30)
	Subsystem: Lenovo Device 3805
	Kernel driver in use: ahci
00:1d.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Cannon Point-LP PCI Express Root Port #9 (rev f0)
	Kernel driver in use: pcieport
00:1e.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation Cannon Point-LP Serial IO UART Controller #2 (rev 30)
	Subsystem: Lenovo Device 3807
	Kernel driver in use: intel-lpss
	Kernel modules: intel_lpss_pci
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation Device 9d85 (rev 30)
	Subsystem: Lenovo Device 3802
00:1f.3 Audio device: Intel Corporation Cannon Point-LP High Definition Audio Controller (rev 30)
	Subsystem: Lenovo Device 3803
	Kernel driver in use: snd_hda_intel
	Kernel modules: snd_hda_intel, snd_soc_skl, snd_sof_pci
00:1f.4 SMBus: Intel Corporation Cannon Point-LP SMBus Controller (rev 30)
	Subsystem: Lenovo Device 380b
	Kernel driver in use: i801_smbus
	Kernel modules: i2c_i801
00:1f.5 Serial bus controller [0c80]: Intel Corporation Cannon Point-LP SPI Controller (rev 30)
	Subsystem: Lenovo Device 380c
01:00.0 Network controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8821CE 802.11ac PCIe Wireless Network Adapter
	Subsystem: Lenovo Device c024
	Kernel driver in use: rtl8821ce
	Kernel modules: 8821ce

I tried the following from:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ba … i915_only)

Add i915.enable_dpcd_backlight=1 to boot parameter
No changes.

I tried the following which did not work from:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ba … ne_options

Added acpi_backlight=video
No change to backlight keys in console or xfce, but it adds acpi_video0 folder in /sys/class/backlight and the value of /sys/class/backlight/acpi_video0/brightness changes when adjusting brightness slider with xfce power manager. The value of /sys/class/backlight/intel_backlight/brightness does not change. No difference when toggling Handle display brightness keys.

Added acpi_backlight=vendor
No change to backlight keys in console or xfce, but it adds ideapad folder in /sys/class/backlight and the value of /sys/class/backlight/ideapad/brightness changes when adjusting brightness slider with xfce power manager however screen brightness does not change. The value of /sys/class/backlight/intel_backlight/brightness does not change. No difference when toggling Handle display brightness keys.

Added acpi_backlight=native
No change to backlight keys in console or xfce. It does not add any new folder to /sys/class/backlight. The value of /sys/class/backlight/intel_backlight/brightness changes when adjusting brightness slider with xfce power manager. No difference when toggling Handle display brightness keys.

I didn't find anything else in the power management wiki section. Where can I find a full list of i915 kernel parameters options?

#6 2020-10-19 12:28:32

Lone_Wolf

$ modinfo i915

gives the most uptodate list (although with little to no explanation what they do) .

#7 2020-10-26 22:17:10

Wheelman

I didn't find anything relevant from modinfo i915

I tried really hard to find anything on the internet but I've hit a deadend or don't know what to look for.

No scancodes or keycodes when pressing brightness FN controls while using showkey --scancodes and showkey --keycodes

What does it mean when I can't get any scancodes or keycodes?

when using sudo evtest /dev/input/event8 I do find some KEY_BRIGHTNESSDOWN and KEY_BRIGHTNESSUP but nothing I press activates any of them.

Input driver version is 1.0.1
Input device ID: bus 0x19 vendor 0x0 product 0x6 version 0x0
Input device name: "Video Bus"
Supported events:
  Event type 0 (EV_SYN)
  Event type 1 (EV_KEY)
    Event code 224 (KEY_BRIGHTNESSDOWN)
    Event code 225 (KEY_BRIGHTNESSUP)
    Event code 227 (KEY_SWITCHVIDEOMODE)
    Event code 241 (KEY_VIDEO_NEXT)
    Event code 242 (KEY_VIDEO_PREV)
    Event code 243 (KEY_BRIGHTNESS_CYCLE)
    Event code 244 (KEY_BRIGHTNESS_ZERO)
    Event code 245 (KEY_DISPLAY_OFF)
Properties:
Testing ... (interrupt to exit)

I know you said you suspect it's an issue with the kernel but I looked thru my Xorg.0.log, here's a snippet of /dev/input/event8

[    15.270] (II) systemd-logind: got fd for /dev/input/event8 13:72 fd 22 paused 0
[    15.270] (**) Video Bus: always reports core events
[    15.270] (**) Option "Device" "/dev/input/event8"
[    15.270] (**) Option "_source" "server/udev"
[    15.272] (II) event8  - Video Bus: is tagged by udev as: Keyboard
[    15.272] (II) event8  - Video Bus: device is a keyboard
[    15.272] (II) event8  - Video Bus: device removed
[    15.272] (**) Option "config_info" "udev:/sys/devices/LNXSYSTM:00/LNXSYBUS:00/PNP0A08:00/LNXVIDEO:00/input/input8/event8"
[    15.272] (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Video Bus" (type: KEYBOARD, id 7)
[    15.273] (II) event8  - Video Bus: is tagged by udev as: Keyboard
[    15.274] (II) event8  - Video Bus: device is a keyboard

I was curious about the line [    15.272] (II) event8  - Video Bus: device removed. Does that mean anything?

Board footer