You are not logged in.

#1 2006-05-20 19:01:34

augustob

Fuhquake gives me "/dev/dsp: Broken pipe"

Hey guys, I've been a little melancholy of the olden days of online FPSing, so I went and installed fuh, copied my .paks and figured I'd be spamming mirv's as a demoman in no time.

Wrong.

When I try to run fuhquake, it runs fine in glorious GL but with no sound, outputting

/dev/dsp: Broken pipe

in the console. Searching for a solution, I found that fuh still uses OSS, and that it needs exclusive access to /dev/dsp. Everywhere I looked, I saw people suggesting this as a solution:

echo fuhquake-gl.glx 0 0 direct > /proc/asound/card0/pcm0p/oss

Alas, there is no pcm0p directory under card0 here. Alsa applications work fine, mind you.

Does anyone have a straightforward solution? I just wanted to check here before trying that dmix nonsense. Thanks a lot for any help, guys!

#2 2006-09-02 17:49:41

funktion
Website

Re: Fuhquake gives me "/dev/dsp: Broken pipe"

I have been having the same problem...and I have been looking for the same solution.

It seems the following worked for me tho

fuhquake-gl.glx 0 0 direct > /proc/asound/card0/pcm0p/oss

Although a straightforward solution would be nice =/

the funk soul brother.

#3 2006-09-02 19:47:01

jaboua

If you run fuhquake through aoss (from alsa-oss package), does it work?

#4 2006-09-03 22:17:07

funktion
Website

I just tried to run the following command through aoss

aoss ./glx

Still getting no sound ingame and "/dev/dsp: Broken Pipe" on the command line.

the funk soul brother.

#5 2006-09-03 23:15:35

test1000

[angry man]aoss doesn't support mmap because the alsa guys are retards[/angry man]

KISS = "It can scarcely be denied that the supreme goal of all theory is to make the irreducible basic elements as simple and as few as possible without having to surrender the adequate representation of a single datum of experience." - Albert Einstein

#6 2006-09-04 03:28:19

funktion
Website

Well, it seems I have found *somewhat* of a solution...

All this time I have been trying to use eQuake (Fuhquake client + lots of goodies)  linux bundle to play. Everything works fine, but the sound is just a real pain in the rear (OSS issues).

I decided to give ezQuake binary bundle a chance and it turns out this client has ALSA built into it. Upon trying to run the binary I hit a little roadbump, saying libexpat.so.1 was not installed.

When I checked pacman -Q expat, it listed the package, so I did some further investigation in /usr/lib and found that /usr/lib/libexpat.so.0.5.0 exists. So I simply:

ln -s /usr/lib/libexpat.so.0.5.0 /usr/lib/libexpat.so.1

and ezQuake ran FLAWLESSLY first time WITH SOUND. Now I don't know if the libexpat thing is a compile issue, but I would recommend anyone trying to play fuhQuake on Linux to use ezQuake.

I am going to look into creating an AUR package for ezQuake.

the funk soul brother.

#7 2006-09-08 09:24:25

augustob

Awesome!!! It's been a while since I posted this thread, and I don't even know why I came back here, but now you've just inspired me to give Quake some more lovin'  big_smile

#8 2006-09-12 06:30:01

Slash
Website

I have been using the fuhquake package on the AUR for some time without problems. Sound works even with other things playing sound as well. Of course the fuhquake website seems to be broke now sad

Board footer