You are not logged in.

#1 2020-10-28 08:49:39

MuddyArch

LVM - Filesystem check failed

Hello,

I decided to open up some space on my LVM on LUKS to make room for a couple of new logical volumes ( I have 2 LVs for root fs, 1 /home, and a swap LV). I used my USB, unlocked the encrypted drive, decided I wanted a new and blank ~/muddy and mounted up the LVs and chrooted in and used usermod to change the old ~/muddy to ~/muddy3 name and the old username to muddy3. No issues.

I then exited, typed "umount -R /mnt" and checked with "lsblk" before I typed: "lvresize -L -300G --resizefs arch/home"

That command printed:

fsck from util-linux 2.35.2
/dev/mapper/arch-home: /lost+found not found. CREATED
/dev/mapper/arch-home clean 1252682/109117440 files (0.4% non-contiguous), 118041857/436468736 blocks
     Filesystem check failed.

I decided to re-run fsck and it came back clean, the LV is not resized according to lsblk however (1.6T > 1.6T). I remounted and looked around and the only thing that's changed is the addition of /home/lost+found. "ls -a" shows nothing inside the directory.

My assumption is that everything is ok, but I wanted to run this by just in case as I didn't see anything relevant when I threw out some searches on DDG.

I believe in the past I've done the lv/fs resizing separately, but tonight, I figured what the heck. (it's ext4 btw)

Thank you for your time.

#2 2020-10-28 08:54:12

MuddyArch

Re: LVM - Filesystem check failed

Well actually I think it was resized, I had run lsblk -f but didn't make the connection after my post. It states 1.1T available with 26% used. So that would be a roundable 1.3T

**Edit**

It was not resized. I went ahead and attempted the resize again and it completed successfully, although it took 50 mins for the 300G. A previous resize a few weeks ago at 100G took much less time. I can't remember how long but in the <min to 2-5mins range.

Last edited by MuddyArch (2020-10-28 10:09:15)

#3 2020-10-30 08:31:25

MuddyArch

Yea, I think it may have actually borked my system. Resize stuff carefully folks.

#4 2020-10-31 03:01:28

MuddyArch

It seems to be an issue with mkinitcpio/the encrypt module or maybe the encrypted partition itself. Always fails to boot at this point

:: running hook [encrypt]
ERROR: device '' not found. Skipping fsck.
:: mounting '' on real root
mount: /new_root: no filesystem type specified.
You are now being dropped into an emergency shell.
sh: can't access tty: job control turned off

I've rebuilt the dang thing god knows how many times. Reinstalled things. Wiped the esp partition and root partition and reformated them and still the same thing. Tried rEFInd, systemd-boot, both same thing. Can't build an unified kernel, the ucode is giving errors when I try to build a bundle with sbctl.

Trying to mount it using the UUID while in emergency shell fails. So does trying to run the encrypt hook manually.

#5 2020-10-31 06:37:01

MuddyArch

Had a nice glass of whiskey and a few beers. Decided to nuke my ESP and root LV with shred. Installed a few less packages and just stuck to systemd-boot. Booted up beautifully and without any problem.

So solved but not also not solved.

Board footer