You are not logged in.

#1 2006-09-12 23:29:26

_nalle
Website

Dell Latitude C400 [Solved]

Hi, I bougth the C400 recently and I've come up with some problems.

First one was that when closing my lid it didn't shut the monitor off. This was easily solved by doing some home made acpi event handlers and using vbetool.

However I now have two display/graphics card related issues left to solve:

1) When running something that is 3d accelerated and closeing the lid the computer freezes and starts printing out _weird_ graphical thingies. This is quite annoying as my favorite xscreensaver uses glx.

2) When suspending the laptop it goes into suspend mode and then it won't startup from suspend again no matter what.

If anyone ever heard of these errors before i'd be delighted to get some pointers.

//Rickard "_nalle" Eriksson

Swedish Archlinux Mirror Administrator - ftp.gigabit.nu

#2 2006-09-12 23:44:54

stonecrest

Re: Dell Latitude C400 [Solved]

It's not a perfect solution, but the suspend issue (as well as problems I had with using ctrl-alt-f_), can be solved by using ColorDepth = 16 in your xorg.conf. You'll then also probably want to export XLIB_SKIP_ARGB_VISUALS=1, because flash will otherwise crash with 16 bits per pixel.

I also had to mess with acpi's handler.sh file, although I didn't use vbetool at all, just xset.

I am a gated community.

#3 2006-09-13 00:01:19

_nalle
Website

So I tried the whole suspend solution, not a big hit as it still wouldn't come out of suspend.

The Laptop goes black as it should, i close the lid, open the lid and it looks like it'll start up but it doesn't it just stops and loads every now and then as if it was started but the monitor is black as the night.

Any ideas to why?

#4 2006-09-13 00:04:31

_nalle
Website

Oh and I just rememberd another problem I have, i can't get it to play multiple sounds, so if you have solution to that i'd be ever so thankful tongue

#5 2006-09-13 01:55:29

elasticdog
Website

_nalle wrote:

Oh and I just rememberd another problem I have, i can't get it to play multiple sounds, so if you have solution to that i'd be ever so thankful tongue

I believe that's covered in the wiki.

#6 2006-09-17 00:21:30

_nalle
Website

As the repo now carried a new set of Xorg drivers my laptop now has another weird ass problem. Everytime I close the lid it makes X crash. Why? Anyone ever heard of it and is there any solutions?

I checked my X logs and they seem to spew out a bunch of stuff associated with some frequency stuff. I googled a bit but all i found was something about dualhead configurations which does not apply to my current situation.

Example:
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x32

#7 2006-12-30 03:39:07

_nalle
Website

Fixed with last update of the X drivers. xf86-video-i810 1.7.3-1 from the current repository.

Board footer