You are not logged in.

#151 2020-02-27 12:21:48

Gunslinger13

Re: Anybody using Arch as their daily driver?

Arch since fall 2015. Never found anything else that could replace it full time.

#152 2020-03-06 22:08:36

Steo

I've been running it as my daily driver since late summer 2019. I managed to mess up the system last month by stupidly accidentally formatting the NVMe drive when I wanted to test SteamOS. I reinstalled it ofc, but I really wish I hadn't made the mistake of deleting it.

Anyway, other than browsing the internet etc. I use it to game, and it does so nicely with the likes of Proton being out there.

#153 2020-03-06 23:26:14

topcat01

All my Linux machines are now on Arch. I'm a developer. I use FVWM mostly as the DE. Love the fact that with the DE loaded the system only uses 170 MB of RAM!

#154 2020-03-09 03:23:36

rangoon

Techdox wrote:

I don't even own a computer

Dude, there is no shame in a potato big_smile

Gamer | Dad | Coffee Drinker | Kiwi | The Right Kind of Crazy

#155 2020-03-09 11:33:29

fubarhouse

Yes... however I run macos on my laptop. The work laptop is mac, so I use it a fair bit when I can't get out of it.
Most of my work can be done from Arch but I still depend on it when WFM for a VPN which has a few things hidden behind it, sadly I don't WFM all the time...

Daily driver desktop is Arch, currently mixing between Plasma, AwesomeWM and i3wm.
Longer term I'll find my feet better, get a new laptop running Arch but I'm broke lolz.

I use it for _everything_ apart from EVGA peripheral configuration.
I'm afraid I have to maintain a windows drive still if I want to configure them. That one is not plugged in though, considerable effort needs to be made to get back to Windows and I've never had to do it since changing.

#156 2020-03-09 13:19:27

Zod

My laptop is now officially pure ArchLinux.

I used to dual boot with Win 10 pro but have since moved that installation into Qemu/KVM and run it as an appllication.

Edit: I play 2 games, Jane's 688(i) and TacOps, and have no intention of installing wine, I also need Win 10 for adobe-connect.

Last edited by Zod (2020-03-09 15:04:25)

#157 2020-03-09 14:01:34

10PinkPanther

Since 2012.No windows or any other linux distributions.

#158 2020-03-09 14:05:11

schard
Website

I'm using Arch Linux as my only Linux distro, both at work and at home, since 2014.
I still have one Windows 10 PC for gaming though.

#159 2020-03-09 20:42:56

Escarina

Use Arch as my Daily driver since beginning last year , after a half year of manjaro xD
Is on my Laptop too. Win only in VM when needed .. long time i didnt boot it ^^

o7

#160 2020-03-10 21:12:05

deepLinux

I use arch just for fun. I play games on windows but in a vm with a gpu passthrough. Its kinda been the same thing since 2011. Cant wait to spend some more time on it.

#161 2020-03-23 13:02:16

moogin

I'm a dog groomer who likes to play around with python in my spare time and I've been using Arch as my daily driver since around December-January-ish this year. So far I've enjoyed using it more than any other distro. I mainly use it for browsing the web, streaming video, gaming, and messing around with python.

Out of all the distros I've tried (Solus, Ubuntu, Manjaro, Mint, and Fedora) Arch has been the best gaming experience I've had with any distro.

I also like starting with just the terminal and building everything up from there. When I was in high school I used to like messing around with rainmeter on Windows, and I like being able to do that with my whole OS from scratch rather than just widgets on a desktop.

I also really liked pacman after I used it on Manjaro and didn't want to give it up if I switched distros.

I also wish that I tried i3wm before using Arch, its been a blast.

#162 2020-04-07 04:31:18

piperdan

Yup,
Arch is my daily driver. Installed the Arch way. I'm retired, so I have no "work" laptop.

#163 2020-04-22 18:43:39

f33dm3bits
Banned

I have Arch running on my personal laptop, my work laptop, my workstation at work, and my mediacenter. I run CentOS on my homeserver and my VPS.

#164 2020-04-22 19:02:45

Slithery
Administrator

f33dm3bits wrote:

I run CentOS on my homeserver and my VPS.

Traitor!!!

No, it didn't "fix" anything. It just shifted the brokeness one space to the right. - jasonwryan
Closing -- for deletion; Banning -- for muppetry. - jasonwryan

aur - dotfiles

#165 2020-04-23 04:20:06

f33dm3bits
Banned

Slithery wrote:
f33dm3bits wrote:

I run CentOS on my homeserver and my VPS.

Traitor!!!

I'm new to Arch, have only been running it for 7 months. I will see when I have some more
experience with Arch if I will move those systems to Arch as well wink

#166 2020-05-20 15:20:07

Moopy

I'm a software developer and started trying out Arch in a VM around november. Think it was around January when I installed it on an external SSD for the first time. Couple weeks after I chewed away some disk space from the ssd where windows is installed on and installed arch. Got about 30GB on it and it has been my daily driver ever since. I even have it installed on a VPS and an old laptop I'm using as a test machine that has a whole new life now without windows slowing it down.

Though 30GB forces me to be very picky about the size of what I put on it. I do now have my original external SSD mentioned earlier to put more files on but I store files using the cloud or a privately hosted nextcloud on my raspberry pi.

I've tried other distros before, Ubuntu, Red Hat, Suse but there was always issues. I love the minimalistic aspect, customizing EVERYTHING and above all: The wiki! Can't imagine going to any other OS now.

#167 2020-09-02 22:26:33

mrazster
Website

Yeah I have been using Arch as my daily driver since about early feb. after upgrading my hardware.
I do a fair amount of photo and some video editing as well as quite a bit gaming and the usual multimeda and webb stuff. Other than a couple of snaggs with broken packages during updates, "she´s" puring along nicely.

Arch...the way it was meant to be !!

#168 2020-09-18 09:38:04

blackout

First I tried it in 2013 on my notebook due to being unhappy with ubuntu(family) updates breaking every time, debian old packages or sid breaking thin when new releases are pushed and a lot of new packages came in.
fedoras package management was not satisfying for me.

So I'm using Linux since 2004 and have to admit, that during Arch install I learned more than the nearly 10 years before.

I was using it for my study, mainly coding, virtual machines and simulations (python, octave).
It was more reliable than expected. Only breakage on 2 occasions when using testing repository but rather easy to fix.

So after a few months of use I installed it on my Workstation at home and never changed back.
My new Workstation at home with dual Xeon 96 Threads runs perfectly fine since over year.

I have installed Arch  on my Workstation at work and I'm using
BTRFS since Kernel 4.0.

I have also installed it on the notebook and tablet of my girlfriend no issues so far.

Furthermore, I have the server of my mum's company running arch (file, db, mail server).
and one internal server at my office (file, gitlab-runner, OSM, backup, db, artifactory) running on arch no issues so far.

I run the critical tasks on BTRFS RAID10
and the less critical and my steam library on Raid5
and system disk on raid1

no issues since more than a year.
The btrfs guys are going the right path by fixing and performance improving the FS since a while

#169 2020-10-23 09:52:27

Thomas_Do

Running Arch on my work desktop since 9 years (no new installation but severall changes of hardware). Also on my work notebook und on my home desktop and notebook. My home server (kodi, file server ...) also runs Arch. However, on my external server (e-mail, webserver, openmeetings ...) I installed Ubuntu 18.04.

#170 2020-11-04 03:41:29

themontyhouse

Been using Arch for a few months now and love it. I'm using a Dell G3 3590.

#171 2020-11-04 07:25:28

icar

Running it on my laptop (a Zenbook with a 3700U) since the beginning of the last summer.
EXT4 on LUKS. Dualboot PopOS and Arch (Ubuntu-based required at work).
Except for no mic working through the 3.5mm jack, it works pretty nice. I use it for all my computing needs nowadays.

Last edited by icar (2020-11-04 07:25:49)

#172 2020-11-05 03:20:11

EmberQuill

Laptop has been running Arch since I got it earlier this year. The last two laptops before it were Arch-only as well, going back to 2015/2016 I think.

My desktop PC is dual-booting Windows and Arch Linux. I use Arch as my daily driver and I only kept Windows installed for gaming. Wine has advanced enough recently to allow me to play almost all of my games on Linux. There are still 2-3 games that cannot run on Wine without circumventing anticheat and risking a ban, so I still keep Windows installed for those.

Next time I buy a new GPU, I might keep the old one and set up a Windows VM with GPU passthrough, to see if I can get those games working on a VM so I can stop having to dual-boot. Unfortunately the same anticheat that prevents them from working on Wine might also have issues in a VM, so we'll see.

Edit: I could've sworn I'd posted here before, but apparently this is my first post since I registered my account four years ago. Huh.

Last edited by EmberQuill (2020-11-05 03:21:43)

#173 2020-11-06 04:06:17

Pellaeon

I've run Arch on VPS and servers for a few years now, but didn't make the switch on my daily driver laptop until a few months ago. Wish I'd have done it sooner!

#174 2020-11-22 22:17:04

drankinatty
Website

Yes, have used Arch as a daily driver and as servers for my office. It has worked fine. Only been a few hiccups where pacman update brought in new packages that caused a (stop what you are doing, redo the configurations for package X, e.g. apache 2.2 - 2.4, or kernel updates breaking virtualbox and similar). Otherwise, it has been a seamless joy.

The only challenge is if you have specific desktops or packages you like to build and use. Those can become somewhat of a full-time job to keep patched, updated and building as Arch keeps current with upstream -- it's just a trade-off. Example, I built TDE (Trinity Desktop, the KDE3 for) for Arch for several years after Arch dropped kdemod3.. gcc, glibc, and all libraries such as libpng, libjpeg, etc.. require near continual updates and patching as upstream changes are made. Since Arch is the most current distro going -- you end up being the first person to suffer the build failures and have to do the patching, etc.. Distros like Ubuntu, Debian, Centos, openSuSE, won't see those changes for months or years.

The real question is "Knowing what you know now -- would you choose Arch again?" Absolutely. It's that good, as both a server and daily-driver. Almost 12 years running and no regrets.

David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.

#175 2020-11-23 06:14:00

sdanave

I have been using Arch for the last 6 months. First as a VBox VM on Windows 10 and now pure Arch on a laptop.

Fantastic experience. I have tried several other distros - Ubuntu LTS, Void, Fedora, Linux Mint and OpenSuse. The nearest that came from a stability perspective to Arch was Mint (which is also an excellent distro), however Arch is still the best, provided you are willing to put an effort.

The community support is fantastic. I had an issue on Firefox (Youtube just wouldnt open) and the response and support I got was unbelievable. If you take efforts to try the suggestions, you should be able to solve any issue.

Another benefit is the large(st) package repository. Had a problem on VS Code (I logged a bug report) and since the issue was still not solved, I could switch to other options (there were 3 more options including Codium). This is Arch's strength !!!

Of course then, you can chose what you want. With Mint and Ubuntu, I got tons of other things I would never use. With Arch, I install only what I need.

Finally, the rolling release bit. It does feel good that you are getting the latest releases "before" others !! smile

Sachin

Board footer