You are not logged in.

#401 2020-10-16 01:10:23

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Re: aurutils - helper tools for the aur

A bit of a... conceptual? question

I've been using aurutils for a while now on my laptop (the sole active Arch machine I use, the rest are just servers or the like where I hardly need AUR packages). Now I have a new desktop which I'll be using more actively and will need AUR packages (including duplicates of what's on my laptop).

Both the laptop and desktop will not be running 24/7, so sharing packages may be a bit of a pain. Both are fast enough that compiling on machine isn't an issue, but if I have already compiled something I'd like to just be able to install it.

I do have a raspberry pi sitting around doing some service hosting, with a huge hard disk. I guess hosting a repo on that would be the right way to go?

So my current setup (duplicated on two machines) is:-
Compilation happens in ~/.cache/aurutils/sync
The repo itself is in /var/cache/pacman/aurrepo

The setup I envision is:-
Compilation happens in ~/.cache/aurutils/sync
The repo itself is hosted on my raspberry pi

Would this work? Internet connection is fast (300Mbps) so I'm not too concerned about sharing .cache/aurutils/sync between my laptop and desktop. Is it better for the repo to be just a shared folder (samba) or some properly hosted folder behind nginx?

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#402 2020-10-17 10:28:05

Alad
Wiki Admin/IRC Op/TU
Website

ngoonee wrote:

Would this work? Internet connection is fast (300Mbps) so I'm not too concerned about sharing .cache/aurutils/sync between my laptop and desktop. Is it better for the repo to be just a shared folder (samba) or some properly hosted folder behind nginx?

You could update the files on the rpi with rsync/ssh after each build, and then use an HTTP server. If you use something like samba, you have to take care of symlinks:

https://github.com/AladW/aurutils/issues/700

HeptaSean wrote:

There is some processing happening, which is described by man aur-chroot:

The only processing aur-chroot does is read file:// entries and pass them as bind-rw arguments to makechrootpkg and arch-nspawn. All the strange edits made to the pacman configuration is by complex logic inside devtools:

https://git.archlinux.org/devtools.git/ … awn.in#n67

There is no way to disable this functionality:

https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/38641
https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/27544

Last edited by Alad (2020-10-17 10:30:11)

Mods are just community members who have the occasionally necessary option to move threads around and edit posts. -- Trilby
Honest Alad's Package Emporium—Now with added bugs! (Grand reopening: December 1st 2018)

#403 2020-10-18 00:14:12

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Alad wrote:
ngoonee wrote:

You could update the files on the rpi with rsync/ssh after each build, and then use an HTTP server.

I'll just ignore the samba option then. Looks like I can either:-

1. Host a proper repo with some http server (I'd still need to push to it though)

or

2. Sync /var/cache/pacman/aurrepo between the machines regularly.

Both of these need a bit more busy work than I like. Would something like sshfs mounting of /var/cache/pacman/aurrepo from both machines to a folder on the pi work as well? Repos are self-contained folders (with internal symlinks)?

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#404 2020-10-18 00:32:47

progandy

ngoonee wrote:

Doesn't samba also have some options to support symlinks? mfsylinks or sfu mount parameter. The arm server doesn't have need to follow the symlink anyways, right?

| alias CUTF='LANG=en_XX.UTF-8@POSIX ' |

#405 2020-10-18 19:02:36

Alad
Wiki Admin/IRC Op/TU
Website

It should work with the correct mount options, see the last comment in the linked issue.

Mods are just community members who have the occasionally necessary option to move threads around and edit posts. -- Trilby
Honest Alad's Package Emporium—Now with added bugs! (Grand reopening: December 1st 2018)

#406 2020-10-18 19:07:07

Slithery
Forum Moderator

ngoonee wrote:

1. Host a proper repo with some http server (I'd still need to push to it though)

or

Both of these need a bit more busy work than I like. Would something like sshfs mounting of /var/cache/pacman/aurrepo from both machines to a folder on the pi work as well? Repos are self-contained folders (with internal symlinks)?

Setting up a web server takes literally seconds. Install and enable nginx, upload the repo to /usr/share/nginx/html/ and you're done.

No, it didn't "fix" anything. It just shifted the brokeness one space to the right. - jasonwryan
Closing -- for deletion; Banning -- for muppetry. - jasonwryan

aur - dotfiles

#407 2020-10-20 01:45:48

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Slithery wrote:
ngoonee wrote:

or

Setting up a web server takes literally seconds. Install and enable nginx, upload the repo to /usr/share/nginx/html/ and you're done.

The local setup on a machine is fine. I hate the reverse proxying part (as I already have a few web services and pages running on a Pi for my home network so I'd have to figure out traefik syntax for redirecting the right URL...)

Easiest for me now is just syncthing on the repo. Will get round to web server at some point (maybe).

#408 2020-11-09 13:40:08

Alad
Wiki Admin/IRC Op/TU
Website

aurutils 3 has been released. For an overview of changes, see:

https://pkgbuild.com/~alad/aurutils_3.html

After initial feedback the current version is aurutils 3.1.2 with kinks ironed out and chroot pacman.conf defaulting to /etc/aurutils/pacman-<repository>.conf.

Board footer