You are not logged in.

#1 2020-11-12 16:44:36

Onyros

[SOLVED] AMD Ryzen 7 4750G Graphics Freezes

Hi there,

I'm getting intermittent freezes on a new system I've built, running with a Ryzen 4750G APU on the latest  5.9.8 stable kernel. I'm running DWM 6.2, and AMDGPU drivers (+ vulkan-radeon). I have the latest stable linux-firmware and amd-ucode, too.

The issue usually arises when I'm on conference calls -- with Zoom or Google Meet -- but it's also happened just while watching YouTube videos, so it's been quite unstable. I just moved from another Ryzen system, a little older, with a 2500U APU and none of these issues were happening there.

Usually the graphics freeze, while the system keeps running in the background, and it's always unrecoverable. Sometimes it does throw me back to the command line and kills X -- but when I restart X performance is very shaky and it'll eventually just freeze again -- others it'll just hang X completely to the point I'll have to hard reset. (I still hear sound in the background, and people have stated they keep seeing me move on my webcam).

I'm getting instances of these in dmesg:

[   85.250136] [drm:amdgpu_dm_atomic_commit_tail [amdgpu]] *ERROR* Waiting for fences timed out!
[   90.380019] [drm:amdgpu_job_timedout [amdgpu]] *ERROR* ring gfx timeout, signaled seq=15114, emitted seq=15116

and these errors on journalctl:

Nov 12 15:26:12 voidskin kernel: [drm:amdgpu_dm_atomic_commit_tail [amdgpu]] *ERROR* Waiting for fences timed out!
Nov 12 15:26:12 voidskin kernel: [drm:amdgpu_dm_atomic_commit_tail [amdgpu]] *ERROR* Waiting for fences timed out!
Nov 12 15:26:12 voidskin kernel: [drm:amdgpu_job_timedout [amdgpu]] *ERROR* ring gfx timeout, signaled seq=890533, emitted seq=890535
Nov 12 15:26:12 voidskin kernel: [drm:amdgpu_job_timedout [amdgpu]] *ERROR* Process information: process chromium pid 1907 thread chromium:cs0 pid 1933

Anyone have any ideas on how to further troubleshoot this, or any additional things I may try out? I've tried a few kernel parameters, to no avail, probably not the right combination. Anyone's had trouble with the Renoir APUs and managed to get around this kind of trouble?

Last edited by Onyros (2020-11-13 13:11:08)

#2 2020-11-12 20:53:58

mcloaked

Re: [SOLVED] AMD Ryzen 7 4750G Graphics Freezes

I have a recent HP Envy X360 15-ee0000 laptop with the Ryzen 4500U graphics running arch linux - which for me has been very stable.  You didn't say which DE you are using. For my system I boot using refind, with early KMS, and run sddm for logging in to the Plasma Desktop.  Whilst the system is not the same as your 4750G APU it is similar.  I also use vulkan-mesa-layers but not vulkan-radeon - though I am running the amdgpu module and do not load the radeon module.  Without knowing some details of how you boot, and what modules you included in your mkinitcpio.conf for instance it is hard to compare with my system. Also what DE are you using, and if you use Plasma, are you using xorg or wayland?

Last edited by mcloaked (2020-11-12 22:28:00)

Mike C

#3 2020-11-12 21:36:05

Onyros

I also have a laptop with a Ryzen chip, a 4500U, and the same config I'm running on this desktop runs flawlessly there -- apart from a kernel parameter added (amd_iommu=off, because of problems coming back from suspension)

I'm not running a DE, I'm running straight up DWM as a window manager, and no display manager. I startx into my X graphical session as needed (a customized xinitrc) -- as it's DWM, it's Xorg.

I'm using GRUB with early KMS, a very vanilla mkiniticpio (as I'm running on my laptop) with no specified added modules or binaries, and all standard hooks. I had the same setup on the Ryzen 2500U, and it's the same on the 4500U -- the only one giving me trouble is this 4750G, really.

There's a rotten combination of Slack, Chromium (with Meet) or Zoom sometimes -- all of which I need for work -- and Vivaldi. I've tried many a combination, installed mesa-git, downgraded the kernel, tried several combinations of (to me) obscure kernel parameters that I found people with similar problems, but older setups, using.

I saw some info about C-States freezing Ryzen systems in the past -- and tried just because I've tried many other things as well (tried preventing from 1, 5, and 6 with kernel params) -- but the problem doesn't seem to be related to that, as the system does keep running, but the it's just the graphics that freeze.

I'm at wits end, as I'd expected it to be as smooth as on my Lenovo laptop with the 4500U or my older Ryzen Mini PC.

#4 2020-11-12 22:29:28

mcloaked

I had a typo in my previous post - my cpu was 4500U, and not 4700U  (corrected now) and runs fine, as yours does - maybe someone with a Ryzen machine with the same 4750G will report on their experience.

Mike C

#5 2020-11-12 23:27:08

Onyros

Thanks, mate, I hope I can find something to circumvent these problems. It's a neat machine otherwise.

#6 2020-11-13 11:14:55

mcloaked

I hope that the issues with the 4750G will be understood - I have been looking at exactly this CPU for a possible new machine in the coming months (if it is possible to actually buy the CPU as they are like gold dust at the moment!). There have been questions about the deep sleep state of some Ryzen CPUs reported, and I haven't seen a full resolution of that problem though I have seen some suggestion that BIOS/microcode updates may be part of the solution.  I also note that for my 4500U laptop, when I run the spectre checker script I see that the microcode is not the latest available:

From the spectre checker script from https://github.com/speed47/spectre-meltdown-checker:

CPU microcode is the latest known available version:  NO  (latest version is 0x8600106 dated 2020/06/19 according to builtin firmwares DB v165.20201021+i20200616)

The version from the journal log is 0x8600104 which is indeed not as up to date as that quoted in the spectre checker output - but I don't know where the most recent version is.

$ pacman -Q amd-ucode
amd-ucode 20201023.dae4b4c-1

I don't know if the microcode in your 4750G machine is up to date as referenced if you run the spectre checker?  Also I don't know where the more recent microcode for AMD CPUs is available, since I had thought that the package amd-ucode would have the latest available version and it could then be updated during boot by including the microcode image file as a boot parameter, which has always worked for me for Intel CPUs. Is this something worth pursuing?

Mike C

#7 2020-11-13 13:10:31

Onyros

I do only have the latest microcode available in our repos loaded, BUT I also believe I managed to solve the problems with graphics, finally.

Rookie mistake: did a BIOS update. Hadn't thought of that, somehow, and didn't really think it could be so dramatic, in this case. I did notice that after the BIOS update the GPU seems to be performing a wee bit slower: it stutters a bit in 4K video, which was surprising, with dropped frames and all, whereas before it dropped few, if not none.

The motherboard is an Asus TUF GAMING A520M-PLUS.

Haven't had a freeze since, so this really had nothing to do with the APU itself. I'm going to mark this one as solved. PEBKAC to a point wink

As for the 4750G, I bought it as part of a set, as it wouldn't be available otherwise (only sold in bulk or OEM), and then just assembled it myself, but I intend to explore moving it from the current setup to an ASRock Deskmini X300 -- as it's in a mid-tower right now and I like a cleaner desk.

Last edited by Onyros (2020-11-13 13:11:56)

#8 2020-11-13 13:34:06

Lone_Wolf

EDIT: Onyros updated while I was making this post. Maybe what I wrote helps other people with similar problems.

Onyros, please post  full journal output from one of the crashes, also lspci -k .

Onyros wrote:

GRUB with early KMS, a very vanilla mkiniticpio

Normally early KMS is configured in mkinitcpio.conf , please post your modules= line .

Some things to check :
- Is microcode updating configured ?

- Do you have the latest EFI firmware for your system installed ?

- All the programs you mention (slack, vivaldi, chromium ) appear to be using chromium.
Have you tried using other browsers that are not chromium-based like firefox (gecko) , midori(webkit) or falkon(qt5-webengine)  to see if those also crash ?

Last edited by Lone_Wolf (2020-11-13 14:46:33)

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#9 2020-11-13 23:10:02

Onyros

For anyone else's benefit: I had amd-ucode updating configured, yes; I also use(d) different browsers throughout: qutebrowser (which is my non-work preferred browser) and Firefox, for instance. Both eventually triggered the same freezes. And you were also right, I did have amdgpu loaded in mkinitcpio's modules line.

If it does benefit anyone else, I can add journalctl's output with the errors on display, but the relevant lines are those on my first post, I believe.

All in all, I believe that the old BIOS version, which was from the beginning of the year, might not fully support the Ryzen 4750G yet, hence those problems.

#10 2020-11-18 13:03:58

Wallcom

Had the exact same error with my 4750G. The issue was XMP on my board (Gigabyte B550M Aorus Pro).
With XMP disabled everything works fine, with XMP enabled everything (including memtest) works fine too, until you start to utilize the chips iGPU. This causes the Vcore SoC voltage to be automatically turned down, which is the same for iGPU and memory controller.
As a result, the system memory gets unstable, and the first one to notice is the amdgpu driver, because it uses the system memory as VRAM.
That's why you only noticed this when doing something graphically intensive (i could force this by repeatedly toggling GNOMEs window overview).

I wrote to Gigabyte about this problem, and hopefully they will do something about it, as this error is OS independent (though windows recovers the GPU crash gracefully).
Meanwhile, the solution is to disable XMP or manually set your ram timings & SoC voltages so that they don't fluctuate.

Apparently  ASUS already fixed this, so it works for you now with the latest BIOS.

#11 2021-06-15 09:36:54

jpetazzo

I'm having a similar issue with a B550I AORUS PRO AX motherboard and a 4750G CPU. I'm dual booting Arch and Windows.

My instant test to know if I'm hitting this problem is to try and run ARK Survival (apparently it's very intensive on the GPU smile). There might be other ways to trigger the bug; but this one tells me immediately if the machine is stable or not; and it causes problems on both Arch and Windows.

XMP definitely plays a role, but maybe it's not the only thing.

1. With default BIOS settings ("default" like "the way it came out of the box"), I was able to set everything up and use the system alright, including playing ARK for a few hours.
2. Then, at some point, after reading about XMP, I decided to enable it, because it seemed a pretty safe thing to do (hahaha). Everything seemed fine at first; but I didn't play ARK right away...
3. ... And then a few days later, I try to run ARK, and it wouldn't work. On Linux, the video would freeze/unfreeze repeatedly. At first it looks like the machine is dead, but if I wait long enough (anywhere between a few seconds and a minute), the video will unfreeze for a brief moment, then freeze again; rinse and repeat. I can still log in with SSH. Very similar symptoms as the ones described by @Onyros here.
4. Eventually I try it on Windows as well, and I have a similar issue. When starting the game, the music stops after about 1 second, display is frozen. However, the OS is not dead; I can start the task manager, kill ARK, and it recovers.
5. ... After hours of looking around, I found a few forum posts recommending to disable XMP. So I disabled XMP, but that didn't change anything. Game still crashes immediately. However, when I did "Load optimized default settings" in the BIOS, that fixed it! (So it looks like even just turning XMP on and off leaves something different in the BIOS.)
6. ... A couple of days later, the problem happens again. I don't even think too hard about it, go to the BIOS, "load optimized default settings", reboot, and it works. (???)
7. ... A couple of days later, the problem happens AGAIN, but this time, "load optimized default settings" doesn't change anything. Game still crashes instantly.
8. ... A few hours of looking around, and I see folks suggesting to upgrade the BIOS. I was running version F10, I download version F13G, upgrade, and ... now it works.

Until next time. ?

This is very much in line with the explanations above, i.e. the GPU being a bit more sensitive to memory timings/voltage than the CPU. I am now wondering:
- is there a program similar to memtest86, but that would work from the GPU instead of the CPU?
- how to determine safe/stable timings and voltages?
- why did my system go spontaneously from "it works" to "it doesn't work"?

(For the last item, I suspect that it might have been caused by the Gigabyte software that I installed - on Windows - to try and get some metrics - voltage, temperature, etc - to figure out what was going on. Maybe that software, or maybe the Radeon software, changed the voltage and/or memory timings to "optimize performance".)

#12 2021-06-15 11:00:07

mcloaked

I wonder if the stream of commits for amdgpu that are going into the recent kernels will help this issue over time.  Each new kernel seems to have a pile of AMD commits. Perhaps even more when 5.13 is released.

Mike C

#13 2021-07-29 19:30:10

gce

[Deleted message]

Last edited by gce (2021-07-29 19:40:39)

Board footer