You are not logged in.

#1 2020-11-20 10:56:45

mipo

[SOLVED] AMD KAVERI Vulkan installation

Can't seem to get Vulkan work on AMD KAVERI. From what I see it's a supported device, so yeah.

My steps: I've installed vulkan-radeon (and its lib32 counterpart) and amdvlk (+ lib32).
But I can't get vulkaninfo to run.

Here's what I get with different icds:

VK_ICD_FILENAMES=/usr/share/vulkan/icd.d/radeon_icd.i686.json:/usr/share/vulkan/icd.d/radeon_icd.x86_64.json vulkaninfo

ERROR: [Loader Message] Code 0 : /usr/lib32/libvulkan_radeon.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32
ERROR at /build/vulkan-tools/src/Vulkan-Tools-1.2.159/vulkaninfo/vulkaninfo.h:248:vkEnumerateInstanceExtensionProperties failed with ERROR_INITIALIZATION_FAILED

VK_ICD_FILENAMES=/usr/share/vulkan/icd.d/amd_icd32.json:/usr/share/vulkan/icd.d/amd_icd64.json vulkaninfo

ERROR: [Loader Message] Code 0 : /usr/lib32/amdvlk32.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32
WARNING: [Loader Message] Code 0 : terminator_CreateInstance: Failed to CreateInstance in ICD 0.  Skipping ICD.
Cannot create Vulkan instance.
This problem is often caused by a faulty installation of the Vulkan driver or attempting to use a GPU that does not support Vulkan.
ERROR at /build/vulkan-tools/src/Vulkan-Tools-1.2.159/vulkaninfo/vulkaninfo.h:666:vkCreateInstance failed with ERROR_INCOMPATIBLE_DRIVER

lshw -c video

*-display                 
       description: VGA compatible controller
       product: Kaveri [Radeon R7 Graphics]
       vendor: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI]
       physical id: 1
       bus info: pci@0000:00:01.0
       version: d4
       width: 64 bits
       clock: 33MHz
       capabilities: pm pciexpress msi vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
       configuration: driver=radeon latency=0
       resources: irq:28 memory:e0000000-efffffff memory:f0000000-f07fffff ioport:f000(size=256) memory:feb00000-feb3ffff memory:c0000-dffff

It uses open source amd driver currently.

That's what I get from trying to run vkcube with different icds

VK_ICD_FILENAMES=/usr/share/vulkan/icd.d/radeon_icd.i686.json:/usr/share/vulkan/icd.d/radeon_icd.x86_64.json vkcube

Segmentation fault (core dumped)

VK_ICD_FILENAMES=/usr/share/vulkan/icd.d/amd_icd32.json:/usr/share/vulkan/icd.d/amd_icd64.json vkcube

Cannot find a compatible Vulkan installable client driver (ICD).

Please look at the Getting Started guide for additional information.

Maybe I'm missing something? What is this getting started guide? On Vulkan website I can only see getting started with developing on Vulkan, which is now exactly what I want.

Anyways, I've tried searching for it, followed Vulkan article on Archwiki but no luck for now. I'm sure I'm missing something obvious here... Thank to everyone for helping in advance!

Last edited by mipo (2020-11-20 21:06:02)

#2 2020-11-20 11:04:06

V1del
Forum Moderator

Re: [SOLVED] AMD KAVERI Vulkan installation

You're using the radeon kernel driver, that does not support vulkan in any shape or form. The only way this can work is if you're able to enable the use of the amdgpu driver,: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/AM … K)_support

#3 2020-11-20 11:55:38

mipo

V1del wrote:

You're using the radeon kernel driver, that does not support vulkan in any shape or form. The only way this can work is if you're able to enable the use of the amdgpu driver,: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/AM … K)_support

So I absolutely have to use proprietary drivers to have Vulkan? That's a shame...

Last edited by mipo (2020-11-20 11:55:46)

#4 2020-11-20 12:41:08

Lone_Wolf

You're misunderstanding the wiki entry, that page only deals with the opensource amdgpu kernel module/driver .

check lspci -k output . The entry for your integrated GPU should list 2 choices : radeon and amdgpu .
The 'Module in use' for your card is radeon by default and the kernel module radeon doesn't support vulkan .

The wiki tells you how to use a special paramater so the kernel will the amdgpu module for your card (which does support vulkan) .

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#5 2020-11-20 21:05:24

mipo

Lone_Wolf wrote:

You're misunderstanding the wiki entry

You're right! I gave it a second look and now I understand that I've confused amdgpu-pro with this module... My bad!

I've followed the instructions there https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/AM … K)_support and everything worked indeed! Thanks to everyone.

Solution: radeon module doesn't work with Vulkan, amdgpu does.

Board footer