You are not logged in.

#1 2020-11-22 00:24:48

MountainX

Looking for SeamlessRDP and winbind

My goal is to help someone run Excel 2013 on Arch Linux. I'm exploring the wine / Crossover / PlayOnLinux options, as well as KVM.

For PlayOnLinux, I need winbind, but I don't find any package with that name.

For KVM, SeamlessRDP was recommended, and I also do not find any Arch package for that.

Do they have other names? Or should I be looking for different projects that implement this now? I have little to no experience with Windows stuff (either on Windows or on Linux).

#2 2020-11-22 04:24:02

loqs

Re: Looking for SeamlessRDP and winbind

MountainX wrote:

# pacman -Fy
pacman -Fx winbind
MountainX wrote:

For KVM, SeamlessRDP was recommended, and I also do not find any Arch package for that.

See Rdesktop

#3 2020-11-22 06:57:48

MountainX

loqs wrote:
MountainX wrote:

# pacman -Fy
pacman -Fx winbind
MountainX wrote:

See Rdesktop

Thank you. I found winbind in samba and installed Office 2013 with PlayOnLinux. But I cannot get Excel to run after a lot of troubleshooting effort. I'm questioning why even go thru this effort to run proprietary software. I will try again to find out if there are open source alternatives that will meet the requirements. Failing that, I think I will try the VM route.

#4 2020-11-22 13:28:27

Lone_Wolf

I will try again to find out if there are open source alternatives that will meet the requirements.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Li … ons#Office should help to start the search

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#5 2020-11-22 13:32:34

progandy

For running office in a virtual machine, maybe look at this project: https://github.com/Fmstrat/winapps

| alias CUTF='LANG=en_XX.UTF-8@POSIX ' |

Board footer