You are not logged in.

#26 2020-10-24 19:10:20

Lone_Wolf

Re: [SOLVED] Problem with GPU drivers on ThinkPad L15 Gen 1 (AMD)

ddg'ing for pci=noats gave some interesting results

https://forum.level1techs.com/t/fb0-swi … vga/152112

this led to https://www.phoronix.com/forums/forum/l … ost1151227

If I understand agd5f post correctly, iommu needs ATS and requires the gpu driver to setup ats .
If the gpu driver is loaded before iommu , everything works.

In case iommu is loaded before the gpu driver, things fail.

Looks like we found who to contact about this issue and how.

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#27 2020-10-24 20:55:32

Anthony Wilson

Oh, that’s very interesting.
So, I attempted replacing the kernel parameter iommu=soft with pci=noats and it appears my system still boots fine (with none it still hangs).
The boot process is a little different - the screen flickers come earlier in the boot now, rather than right before I see the login prompt.

I‘m guessing from your posts that it would be better to use pci=noats until this is fixed. Out of curiosity - why? What pros and cons are there to both of these kernel parameters that appear to work fine?

I also see that we can (and probably should) go to https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/drm/amd/-/issues to get this properly fixed. What’s the plan with that? Should I create the issue there, and attach the dmesg output for a boot with pci=noats? Do I include the dmesg output with iommu=soft? Do I also include a journal of a boot with no kernel params?

I’m glad it seems like this issue is going to be properly solved, that will hopefully save a lot of people a fair bit of trouble in the future.

#28 2020-10-24 21:09:35

Lone_Wolf

pci=noats is also a workaround, but one that appears more targeted towards the cause of the issue then iommu=soft .

Yes, please create an issue there (post the link to the issue in this thread) .

I suggest you add
-  lspci -nnk
-  journalctl output from a boot without any parameters
-  dmesg from boot with noats

That should be enough info to allow devs to start troubleshooting this.

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#29 2020-10-24 22:24:14

Anthony Wilson

Alright, I've submitted the issue on Gitlab, now we just wait and see what happens. I'll update the main post in this thread to describe the current best solution.

#30 2020-11-25 12:40:02

redrum781

The issue seems to be resolved by the manufacturer with the UEFI update ver 1.13. released 11/24/20.

Among other things the Changelog says:

- Fixed an issue that cannot install Linux OS when DMAr enabled

There is no option to Enable/Disable this option in UEFI, so I guess it's hidden and enabled by default.

There is an ISO file for UEFI update, but as I have no CD device I did it like this:
1. Downloaded ISO UEFI update
2. installed geteltorito from AUR
3. ran

geteltorito.pl -o bios.img /path_to_iso/r19ur03w.iso

4. ran

sudo dd if=bios.img of=/dev/usb_stick_device

like /dev/sdb
5. Boot from USB and allow it to finish (leave the stick in laptop until finish, it takes a couple of reboots)

I can confirm I can boot arch without issues and without any kernel options like pci=noats or iommu=soft.

Last edited by redrum781 (2020-11-25 12:51:05)

#31 2020-11-25 21:15:53

Anthony Wilson

That's great news!
Thanks so much for letting me know, I followed the instructions you posted, and it has all worked fine - I can now boot into Arch Linux absolutely fine without either iommu=soft or pci=noats. The only kernel parameter I'm using now is acpi_backight=vendor to properly save/load the display's backlight brightness.
For reference, here is the site to download the new UEFI update - for my model anyway. If anyone else has this trouble, you should enter your device's serial number to make sure you're getting the right update.
Very glad this issue is now fully resolved, I'll make sure to update the issue on the AMDGPU Gitlab, and I'll also update the original post of this thread with the new instructions to follow.

Just a quick other unrelated little thing - do all the keys on your keyboard work correctly? There's 3 on mine which aren't detected by Xorg, they're the 'instant video call' keys or whatever which Lenovo thought would be a good idea. The Fx counterpart of the key works fine (they are F9, F10 & F11) - so it's not a hardware issue - but Linux just doesn't seem to pick up these keys. If anyone knows a solution, that'd be much appreciated - if not, it's fine. I don't really need them, I just thought I'd ask.

#32 2020-11-26 02:25:54

hdert

It worked for me, thank you for the solution!
One other note is that the README for the CD ISO version mentions that you have to flash it onto a USB.
I flashed mine onto an old stick and the update worked although my L14 said it was doing a 'automatic BIOS backup restore' or something along those lines.
I check the version BIOS version and it had the right numbers, so I don't know what happened there.

#33 2020-11-26 05:23:39

Anthony Wilson

hdert wrote:

my L14 said it was doing a 'automatic BIOS backup restore' or something along those lines

Yeah, it has a BIOS backup feature - it keeps the previous BIOS version available if either something happens to the new one, or if it doesn't work properly.
It said the same thing for me (I'm pretty sure updating it through Windows also has that message)
So there's nothing to worry about.

Very glad the BIOS/UEFI update worked! Hopefully this thread will help others in the future.

Last edited by Anthony Wilson (2020-11-26 05:44:13)

#34 2020-11-27 08:55:28

redrum781

Anthony Wilson wrote:

Just a quick other unrelated little thing - do all the keys on your keyboard work correctly? There's 3 on mine which aren't detected by Xorg, they're the 'instant video call' keys or whatever which Lenovo thought would be a good idea. The Fx counterpart of the key works fine (they are F9, F10 & F11) - so it's not a hardware issue - but Linux just doesn't seem to pick up these keys. If anyone knows a solution, that'd be much appreciated - if not, it's fine. I don't really need them, I just thought I'd ask.

Hi,
What you could do is remap those special keys.
First you need to install acpid, enable and start service:

sudo pacman -S acpid
sudo systemctl enable acpid
sudo systemctl start acpid

Now, if you run acpi_listen from terminal, pressing Fn-F9[10,11] should return respectively:

ibm/hotkey LEN0268:00 00000080 00001317
ibm/hotkey LEN0268:00 00000080 00001318
ibm/hotkey LEN0268:00 00000080 00001319

Finally, edit /etc/acpi/events/anything and map an acpi event to your liking, like:

/etc/acpi/events/anything:
# Pass all events to our one handler script
event=ibm/hotkey LEN0268:00 00000080 00001317
action=/path_to_somewhere/some_script.sh

event=ibm/hotkey LEN0268:00 00000080 00001318
action=/path_to_somewhere_else/another_script.sh

#35 2020-11-28 00:22:37

Anthony Wilson

Thankyou Redrum781, you have solved yet another issue on my new laptop.

Board footer