You are not logged in.

#1 2020-11-26 18:23:02

a7o

Interactive pre-install procedure

I'm creating an install package for my application. When making the first installation everythign works ok. But in the case of upgrade the app I need let the user to decide whether it's necessary to remove application settings files from previous installation or to keep them. As far as I understand, the pre-install() and post-install() procedures are non-interactive. Is there any solution (except that make every user to configure and build his/her own package)?

#2 2020-11-26 18:30:44

GaKu999

Re: Interactive pre-install procedure

a7o wrote:

I'm creating an install package for my application. When making the first installation everythign works ok. But in the case of upgrade the app I need let the user to decide whether it's necessary to remove application settings files from previous installation or to keep them. As far as I understand, the pre-install() and post-install() procedures are non-interactive. Is there any solution (except that make every user to configure and build his/her own package)?

What kind of configurations? Files in /etc or in $HOME?
For the first, I'd say backup array and let them do the usual pacnew.
For the later, I'd say a "migration script" if needed, a couple of prompts, some pretty here and there, and that's it, and just tell the user to run the config script after install/update.

My reposSome snippets

Heisenberg might have been here.

#3 2020-11-26 18:55:20

a7o

Re: Interactive pre-install procedure

GaKu999 wrote:

What kind of configurations? Files in /etc or in $HOME?
For the first, I'd say backup array and let them do the usual pacnew.
For the later, I'd say a "migration script" if needed, a couple of prompts, some pretty here and there, and that's it, and just tell the user to run the config script after install/update.

Thank you for your advice. Likely I'll create a script which first executes pacman and then makes all the necessary interactive actions.

Last edited by a7o (2020-11-26 18:55:41)

Board footer