You are not logged in.

#1 2020-11-25 03:13:33

Mrhawkbox

Kernel panic at random times during the installation.

I get a kernel panic when I setup up wifi during the installation. However having said that I've made it passed that a few times. The farthest iv gotten was mounting the drive and installing the Linux kernelthen when i went to install it bam kernel panic..

#2 2020-11-25 08:14:52

V1del
Forum Moderator

Re: Kernel panic at random times during the installation.

How do you surmise it's a kernel panic? Does the system just get stuck or do you get a trace on screen? Link a picture. What hardware is this? Check your RAM with memtest and your disks with smartctl. In general this just lacks a load of details, please read http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html to get a feel for which kind of questions you should be asking

#3 2020-11-27 10:43:35

Mrhawkbox

V1del wrote:

How do you surmise it's a kernel panic? Does the system just get stuck or do you get a trace on screen? Link a picture. What hardware is this? Check your RAM with memtest and your disks with smartctl. In general this just lacks a load of details, please read http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html to get a feel for which kind of questions you should be asking

Sorry I found out the issue.iIt has something to do with the wifi. I have arch installed now BUT it stilll crashes. When ever I connect to wifi it crashes. It holds out for a bit but it seems to me that when it sends or recieved a certain bit of information it causes it to crash.

Oh I know it was a kernel panic because it would crash and my caps lock key would blink. The screen would also say kernel panic.

Lol I wouldn't just assume a kernel panic. So I didn't really think explaining that was necessary.

Last edited by Mrhawkbox (2020-11-27 10:47:43)

#4 2020-11-27 10:50:20

V1del
Forum Moderator

Well then which wifi, which card which driver, where are you connecting to, does it just happen with 5Ghz/2.4Ghz networks? Can you reproduce on LTS?  If the screen actually shows you something it often includes some details. Have you reported the crash to the kernel bugzilla? Though I'd assume they'd ask you the same questions I'm asking you here...

Last edited by V1del (2020-11-27 10:53:31)

#5 2020-11-27 11:39:50

Mrhawkbox

V1del wrote:

Well then which wifi, which card which driver, where are you connecting to, does it just happen with 5Ghz/2.4Ghz networks? Can you reproduce on LTS?  If the screen actually shows you something it often includes some details. Have you reported the crash to the kernel bugzilla? Though I'd assume they'd ask you the same questions I'm asking you here...

Card: Broadcom bcm4313
Driver :kernel driver sdhci-pci

Not sure what you mean by what wifi.
It's only a 2.4 GHz card.
I have no idea if it's reproducable in Lts. How would I do that? Do I have to reinstall arch? I really don't want to do that. I got the DE the way I like it. Also I've never heard of kernel bugzilla.

#6 2020-11-27 12:41:18

V1del
Forum Moderator

You might want to give https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Br … roadcom-wl a shot first in that case.

No you need to install the linux-lts package and configure your boot loader to boot from that, but try switching to the wl module first.

Board footer