You are not logged in.

#1 2020-11-29 14:39:17

zgR3Vr

Lenovo T14 - Lid suspend problems

Hello.

I am running Arch linux on a Lenovo Thinkpad T14 (AMD version), where I have some problems with the suspend time when closing the lid.
All the previous laptops I have been running Arch on has suspended almost immediately when I closed the lid, but this one takes around 20-30 seconds before it suspends.

Is there somewhere I can check what might be hanging, or look for something else?
The laptop does seem to go to sleep at the moment I close the lid, but then starts again, and then thinks for some time before going back to sleep. I have no idea what is happening.
I am still kinda new to the whole Arch/Linux world, so if you need any more details please let me know.

Info:
Laptop: Thinkpad T14
uname -a: Linux laptop 5.9.9-arch1-1 #1 SMP PREEMPT Wed, 18 Nov 2020 19:52:04 +0000 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Last edited by zgR3Vr (2020-11-29 14:40:47)

#2 2021-01-15 17:49:46

eDio

Re: Lenovo T14 - Lid suspend problems

I have the same issue with Lenovo X13 AMD.

So far to workaroudn the issue I have this (it's really ugly, but the laptop goes to sleep immediately almost always)

[~]$ systemctl cat suspend@.service                                                                                                                                         
# /etc/systemd/system/suspend@.service
[Unit]
Description=User suspend actions
Before=sleep.target

[Service]
User=%I
Type=forking
Environment=DISPLAY=:0
ExecStart=/usr/bin/systemctl stop systemd-logind
ExecStartPost=/usr/bin/sleep 1

[Install]
WantedBy=sleep.target

[~]$ systemctl cat resume@.service                                                                                                                                          
# /etc/systemd/system/resume@.service
[Unit]
Description=User resume actions
After=suspend.target

[Service]
User=%I
Type=forking
Environment=DISPLAY=:0
ExecStart=/usr/bin/systemctl restart NetworkManager

[Install]
WantedBy=suspend.target

Both services are enabled like this

$ systemctl enable suspend@root
$ systemctl enable resume@root

Explanation: I noticed, that if I stop systemd-logind, although it is immeidately restarted, my laptop goes to sleep just fine.
Then I noticed, that after enabling suspend@.service my network manager starts misbehaving, so I restart it on resume.

As I said, really ugly, no idea why it works, probably leverages some random race condition somewhere, but it did the job for me and made me forget about the issue completely.

This probably should be reported somewhere, but I've no idea where to start even. If more active community members could point me in the right direction, I'd be willing to do the job.

#3 2021-01-15 17:56:38

eDio

Also, after finding this thread and getting reminded about the issue I went to the lenovo support page and found few related issues Fixed in BIOS update, so I'm gonna try the update now

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/prod … IOS%2FUEFI

https://download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/mobi … uj61wd.txt

#4 2021-01-15 18:20:36

eDio

FYI, I've updated BIOS to the most recent version (1.30) and my laptop goes to suspend without my hacks now.

Board footer