You are not logged in.

#1 2004-03-20 04:32:35

SavageMessiah

Yet another nvidia thread

Now, before everybody yells at me to search before asking, I have searched and I have tried everything to fix this, but I'm stuck as can be. Here's the situation. I'm trying to install the new nvidia drivers, 5336 on kernel 2.6.4. I've tried downloading and untarring the source from kernel.org and symlinking it to /usr/src/linux. I've tried the method using abs and mkpkg. /lib/modules/2.6.4/build does indeed point to /usr/src/linux-2.6.4. I always run the installer with --kernel-source-path=/usr/src/linux-2.6.4, though the results are the same if I don't. When it tries to compile the module it says:
ERROR: Unable to determine the NVIDIA kernel module filename. And in the background it says: make: *** [select_makefile] Error 1. The log says the exact same thing and doesn't elaborate. I am, at this point, thoroughly peeved. Any help would be greatly appreciated and the lucky contestant who solves this problem will be showered with imaginary money and virtual cream filled pastries.

#2 2004-03-20 05:48:09

steelerguy

Re: Yet another nvidia thread

I just installed the NVIDIA drivers on my fresh install of Arch yesterday and I am also running the 2.6.4 kernel.  I looked previous to installing to see if there was any documentation and I didn't see any either so I decided to go ahead and write some!

I posted it on the Arch Wiki at:  http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/How … A%20Driver

Hopefully this can help you out.  I ran into a few snags along the way that I didn't hit in other distro's (they just have other snags).

Please excuse the format of the page.  It was the first time I had used Wiki so I kept it simple just hoping it would work.  Let me know if you have any questions and I will try to answer them.

#3 2004-03-20 07:46:28

SavageMessiah

Weeeeehahahaha it worked! Thanks much!

#4 2004-03-20 18:18:10

steelerguy

No problem, glad the doc already helped someone!

#5 2004-03-20 19:57:28

sarah31
Website

instead of having :

tar --bzip2 -xvf  foo

why not use:

tar  -jxvf  foo 

it is faster to type and easier to remember.

also isn't the step where you copy the include directory from old to new very dangerous, so to speak? that just replaces your new kernel include files and their changes with the old.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#6 2004-03-22 19:36:36

steelerguy

i actually had the bunzip2 and tar broken down into two steps, which is generally the way i prefer to do it.  don't ask me why. somone edited the wiki and changed it to --bzip2, so if you want to shorten it go right ahead...that is the magic of the wiki! smile

it should not be dangerous at all to copy the include directory over since you are just moving around the same include files.  this would be dangerous if doing this between kernel versions, but i stated in the wiki to download the source for the kernel you are running.  moving just saves the time of having to run a make.

Board footer