You are not logged in.

#1 2020-12-09 18:35:05

Thibaultmol

pkgver for an autoupdating app

Hi,

I'm wondering what pkgver should be used for a jnlp (Java Webstart) app.
It doesn't need updates because it just automatically updates every time it launches.
What do you recommend I purt as the pkgver?

Cheers,

#2 2020-12-09 18:45:51

Stefan Husmann

Re: pkgver for an autoupdating app

If you package the app for use with pacman, you should prevent the autoupdating. If you want autoupdating, do not package it.

#3 2020-12-09 18:55:46

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Does it run as root?  If not, it couldn't update anything that is installed as a pacman package.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#4 2020-12-09 19:52:17

mpan
Website

Why do you package a JNLP aplication in the first place? It’s not something installed locally. Makes as much sense as packaging a link to this forum.

Sometimes I seem a bit harsh — don’t get offended too easily!

#5 2020-12-09 23:06:36

Thibaultmol

Trilby wrote:

Does it run as root?  If not, it couldn't update anything that is installed as a pacman package.

It doesn't, JNLP applications don't need updates, they just always run the latest version

mpan wrote:

Why do you package a JNLP aplication in the first place? It’s not something installed locally. Makes as much sense as packaging a link to this forum.

Because it's the default way that people go to add applications to their system. And this automatically adds a desktop file to launch it with. (+ all the dependencies it needs are also specified)

I'm talking about the https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/josm-javaws/ package btw

#6 2020-12-09 23:11:09

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Ok, none of that makes any sense.  First you say it automatically updates every time it is run, then you said it doesn't need updates.  Which is it?  Does any of the content packaged by the PKGBUILD change when the program runs?  If so, it must be running as root, as that content is own by root.  If none of the packaged content is changing, then it is not updating the installed package.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#7 2020-12-09 23:21:51

Thibaultmol

It doesn't really need to be updated trough the aur I guess.
It was just that previous maintainer had a broken logo url in his pkgbuild that I wanted to fix.
And was thinking to maybe also update that version number since the current one is VERY OLD.

I'll just update the version number to the latest one for now and not touch it until the pkgbuild needs to be modified again.

#8 2020-12-09 23:27:11

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

I just checked it out and josm.jnlp is most definitely versioned, and once installed it will not be updated simply by running the program.  As it's a web app of some sort, it may interact with the current / most up-to-date data, but the josm.jnlp (client) is still the version that was installed.  It's also possible that osm may either not release newer josm-jnlp versions or may maintain backwards compatability indefeinitely, but there still is a version to the one that gets installed.  You could just call it "tested" as upstream uses that and "latest" for the two versions that they seem to maintain.

Last edited by Trilby (2020-12-09 23:31:51)

Board footer