You are not logged in.

#1 2020-12-09 21:25:21

tryingtobearchuser2

"Reboot and Select proper Boot device" every time.

I've been trying to install Arch Linux for quite a bit of time. I have tried some guides (including Arch Wiki) multiple times with different variants. After I complete the installation with no problem or error and reboot, I always get the same result.

Which is:
    "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key"

What I'm trying to do:
I am trying to install Arch Wiki on a 80Gb internal hard drive. Ideally I would like to use LUKS encryption, but not necessary. I am also using UEFI as boot mode, and following the appropriate guides for UEFI installations.

Guides I've tried:
    - Arch Wiki Installation Guide
    - Youtube Video 1 (Encrypted | 5 days ago)
    - Youtube Video 2 (3 months ago)

Hardware:
    - CPU: Intel 6600k
    - Motherboard: MSI Z170A (UEFI)
    - Graphics Card: GTX MSI Nvidia 1070

More information:
    - Using Grub as bootloader (might be the issue)
    - I wiped the drive with dd
    - Drive seems to keep what I've installed on it with partitions, besides bootloader (I think)
    - I've tried installing with and without encryption
    - Have not installed any DE or WM before completing main installation
    - Used Windows 10 on same machine (Not on same hard drive)
    - Partition table is same or was similar to the one on Arch Wiki

I have no idea what the problem is. I am not new to Linux and have been a user on and off for years. I am finally going to bite the bullet and use Linux as my main driver, which is why I'm trying to install Arch Linux. Please let me know if you would like additional information. Thank you all very much.

#2 2020-12-10 00:22:48

Zod

Re: "Reboot and Select proper Boot device" every time.

Copy and paste this into google...

Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key site:bbs.archlinux.org

#3 2020-12-10 09:16:26

V1del
Forum Moderator

Re: "Reboot and Select proper Boot device" every time.

Stop using youtube videos.

One special thing that's not quite trivial to find is that MSI boards have a broken UEFI implementation. The only thing they will boot is esp/EFI/BOOTx64.efi . Which in practice means you need to take the grub UEFI command and add a --removable to the list of parameters.

Board footer