You are not logged in.

#1 2020-12-10 01:46:24

lefthandedmagus

msi gt72 6qe switchible graphics not working.

My one issue with arch linux is getting my switchable graphics working. The only reason I care about it is so I can use one of the gpu's in a VM. The issue is that only my nvidia card is showing up:

lspci -nn | grep -iP "VGA|audio"

00:1f.3 Audio device [0403]: Intel Corporation 100 Series/C230 Series Chipset Family HD Audio Controller [8086:a170] (rev 31)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: NVIDIA Corporation GM204M [GeForce GTX 980M] [10de:1617] (rev a1)
01:00.1 Audio device [0403]: NVIDIA Corporation GM204 High Definition Audio Controller [10de:0fbb] (rev a1)

On the arch wiki page for my laptop: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/MSI_GT72-6QE , it says to switch to the Intel graphics before installing arch than log back into windows to switch to the NVIDIA card to get both to work on arch. Unfortunately I started off with a Debian based distro when I first switched to Linux, so I didn't know that particular method of installing Linux. My question is whether it is possible to get it to work without reinstalling windows [I want to avoid that at all costs].

Thanks for any help you can offer me, I have been searching for an answer to this question for about a month!

Edit: I tried to install the xf86-video-intel & bumblebee packages a couple hours ago and it made my laptop unbootable. I had to arch-chroot into the system to get my laptop boot-able again.

Edit 2: I thought I would mention that the reason I listed the audio pci devices is to show that the intel does show up there.

Last edited by lefthandedmagus (2020-12-10 04:58:42)

#2 2020-12-10 08:37:36

V1del
Forum Moderator

Re: msi gt72 6qe switchible graphics not working.

If that's the output of lspci then that means your intel card is not visible to the system. This is, if this should be possible in any form, a setting in your UEFI/BIOS to switch to Hybrid mode from dedicated. However many "gaming" laptops explicitly and intentionally set up with the sole dedicated card.

But before you start to fumble with that even if you can change that, it's not going to be trivially possible to passthrough the dedicated GPU. While I'm admittedly not that versed in the topic, it used to be necessary to have a distinct monitor for the dgpu/vm this might have changed in the mean time not sure.

PS: The audio card is simply the internal chipset/audio card which doesn't need to point towards the availabilty of an actual gpu unit.

Last edited by V1del (2020-12-10 08:41:29)

Board footer