You are not logged in.

#1 2020-12-02 02:12:27

jrperezmayo

Why I need install dhcpcd after instalation

Hi, I'm new in Arch linux. Before I used Ubuntu.
I installed in a pc for first time. But when I finished, the system not recognize the net. So, I begin again. After write this commands: #arch-chroot, #pacman -S dhcpcd and end the installation.
When I loged in system, it not recognize the net. I needed run dchpcd and ip link set devicename up.
My question is why I need install dhcpcd and run after installation.
Thank's.

#2 2020-12-02 02:40:19

Scimmia
Fellow

Re: Why I need install dhcpcd after instalation

You need to install things you want to use. You need to start things you want running. Pretty simple.

#3 2020-12-02 02:42:28

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

And if you followed the installation guide in the wiki, you would have been directed to install, configure, and enable the networking services you intended to use.  So either you skipped some steps, or you followed an unsupported tutorial.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#4 2020-12-14 02:39:10

lumpynose

I think part of the confusion with people new to Arch is that the install iso has a lot of the network stuff already up and running.  Additionally, the page for configuring the network doesn't explain if or why you need dhcp.  On the Network Configuration page I added a section Static or dynamic IP address?

#5 2020-12-14 05:43:27

GaKu999

Unlikely, maybe a half-baked assumption but the iso is that, a general iso, meant to work anywhere at best.

Network configuration is quite explicit as to point to more reading about network configuration, with careful planning and reading even a noob ought to pick the easiest choice, or at least something manageable if there’s a desire to learn something new and unknown.

In that case, though sadly not 100% likely for every reader, the wiki induces more reading and learning that allows to fix this kind of confusion...

Then so it happens that there’s a chance that OP didn’t follow the official installation guide, because afaik, it doesn’t tell you “install dhcpcd”

My reposSome snippets

Heisenberg might have been here.

#6 2020-12-14 06:19:40

Awebb

To be honest, forgetting to install either DHCP on a wired connection and especially forgetting to install dialog on a laptop with wifi alongside netctl was a source of annoyance for me for a long time. Those things were especially annoying before arch-install-scripts existed. I kept making the same mistake over and over again and now I have a permanent hand shaped mark from slapping my forehead. I had years of Linux experience when I first installed Arch and yet my first attempt was a very bumpy ride. This was before smartphones were a thing and it was on my only computer, so I regularly booted into a Knoppix live system so I could look things up on the wiki. I even had the important pages printed out. That was long before systemd. rc.conf, good times.

#7 2020-12-14 06:34:29

lumpynose

I find the instructions confusing because so much of it seems like suggestions and there are different paths one can take.  I took the SystemManager route, editing
/etc/NetworkManager/conf.d/dns.conf and adding

[main]
dns=systemd-resolved

And then doing

systemctl enable systemd-resolved.service
systemctl enable NetworkManager.service

And after I rebooted into the installed system I did

nmcli device wifi connect 'The Pulsating Inconvenience' password ??????
nmcli connection

It seems to work (minus the network connection going down sometimes after I close the lid on the laptop) but I can't say that I did the above because I knew it was what was needed, it was more that it happened to work.

Mind you, I get frustrated easily and I'm still fussing with another laptop that's not cooperating.

Last edited by lumpynose (2020-12-14 06:36:38)

#8 2020-12-14 07:48:54

V1del
Forum Moderator

You are right, they are suggestions. You are supposed to know which kind of choices you want to make. The original beginner's guide was a bit more forthcoming with a clear recommendations, which is something the installation guide wants to avoid as it should be up to the user to configure their needed setup.

Last edited by V1del (2020-12-14 07:55:17)

#9 2020-12-14 08:17:42

kermit63

Technically, you are NOT required to install dhcpcd. You can use other network management software to connect. That's why the installation guide does not specify dhcpcd but instead directs the user to "Complete the network configuration for the newly installed environment, that may include installing suitable network management software", consistent with the way the overall wiki is written. The wiki gives all the possible choices for a given task, and then let the user decide which way to go.

My current installation, done about 6+ years ago, doesn't have dhcpcd installed EVER. Since my intention was to use XFCE, and the network-manager-applet works very well with NetworkManager, I installed and enabled NetworkManager instead. That's why I never bothered to install dhcpcd.

If the installer will automatically install and enable dhcpcd, the user will be forced to disable it to avoid interference with other network management software that the user intend to use. This will also cause problems if the user is unaware that dhcpcd is enabled by default.

#10 2020-12-14 13:35:14

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

V1del wrote:

You are right, they are suggestions. You are supposed to know which kind of choices you want to make.

I don't think even this is required.  Just some common sense is.

Someone new to arch, and even new to linux may read instructions that essentially say "you may chose path A or path B, it's up to you."  While an experienced linux user can already make an informed decision between A and B, the new user can't, but several reasonable options remain: 1) pick one and try it out, 2) try each in turn and assess which one fits better, 3) ask on the forums for more information, 4) ask on IRC, 5) ask somewhere else.

All 5 of these options are reasonable.  But option 6 of "skip it and pretend like I didn't read that part" is absolutely not a sane option.  And - importantly - this has nothing to do with linux knowledge or skill.  This is just instruction following, and sense that should be common.

Last edited by Trilby (2020-12-14 13:35:39)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#11 2020-12-14 16:27:53

skipbarker
Website

Follow the installation guide. Don't assume anything is done for you, it's not. Welcome to Arch smile !

Last edited by skipbarker (2020-12-14 16:29:12)

#12 2020-12-14 16:59:22

tucuxi

One of the best features of Arch is the fact that the user determines what will be installed and not.

#13 2020-12-14 17:47:21

twobooks

this is the most beautiful part that Arch is different from others, never make decision for users, never install useless package by default, the whole system can be customized by user.

#14 2020-12-14 23:29:26

2ManyDogs
Forum Moderator

The OP has not been back since December 1. I am going to close this now.

jrperezmayo, if you come back and want this thread reopened, use the Report link.

How to post. A sincere effort to use modest and proper language and grammar is a sign of respect toward the community.

Board footer