You are not logged in.

#1 2020-12-16 22:26:56

spcter

[SOLVED] Failed to execute ... \vmlinux-linux not found

Good night,

Im a happy arch user (+1 year on my main laptop). With the things I learned throught this time I wanted to use Arch on my work laptop, but im having a rought time. In new OS install its mandatory to encrypt HDD,
so I've decided to use lvm on luks, once I have all configured and I exit chroot, unmount all devices and reboot the machine. When I select Arch Linux I have the following error: Failed to execute Arch Linux \vmlinux-linux not found

/boot directory:

EFI initframs-linux-fallback.img initframs-linux.img intel-ucode.img loader vmlinuz-linux

My mkinitcpio.conf file:

HOOKS=(base udev autodetect keyboard keymap modconf block encrypt lvm2 filesystems fsck)

/boot/loader/entries/arch.conf file :

title Arch Linux
linux /vmlinuz-linux
initrd /initframs-linux.img
options cryptdevice=UUID=cb9...194:vg0 root/dev/mapper/vg0-root quiet rw

I checked that the specified UUDI its the same as the output given by lsblk -f (Line with crypto_LUKS). During the installation /boot was correctly mounted.

Partition table

1   1049KB  538MB 537MB  fat32      EFI system partition boot,esp
2    538MB  512GB 512GB                Linux LVM               lvm

What I am missing?

Thank you!!

Last edited by spcter (2020-12-26 18:07:26)

#2 2020-12-19 19:44:48

kocotian
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Failed to execute ... \vmlinux-linux not found

Hello!
I noticed 2 things - first is backslash instead of forward slash and second is "vmlinux" instead of "vmlinuz".
If you use GRUB, check your /boot/grub/grub.cfg is everything correct.

#3 2020-12-19 20:44:58

Scimmia
Fellow

kocotian wrote:

Hello!
I noticed 2 things - first is backslash instead of forward slash and second is "vmlinux" instead of "vmlinuz".
If you use GRUB, check your /boot/grub/grub.cfg is everything correct.

Systemd-boot will use either, and they posted their bootloader config, it's obviously not grub. You even commented on the config.

Last edited by Scimmia (2020-12-19 20:49:00)

#4 2020-12-19 20:46:13

Scimmia
Fellow

spcter wrote:

/boot directory:

EFI initframs-linux-fallback.img initframs-linux.img intel-ucode.img loader vmlinuz-linux

So that's your boot dir, but is that where the ESP is mounted? If so, yeah, kocotian is right about the filename problem.

Last edited by Scimmia (2020-12-19 20:47:49)

#5 2020-12-19 22:53:27

spcter

Hi,

First, thanks for your responses guys, I have solved this error, I had few typos in /boot/loader/entries/arch.conf
  1- As Kocotian said vmlinuz instead vmlinux
  2- initramfs not initframs....

As bootloader im using systemd-boot, not grub.

But now, when I select Arch entry on the boot menu the system reports a timeout when is trying to "open" the encrypted device. I've made a few changes in mkinitcpio, instead using busybox encrypt Im now using systemd so HOOKS is like:

HOOKS=(base systemd autodetect keyboard sd-vconsole modconf block sd-encrypt sd-lvm2 filesystems fsck)

Googling for the message a start job is running gpt-auto-root I found this https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=223206

My systemd-boot arch.conf file:

title Arch Linux
linux /vmlinuz-linux
initrd /intel-ucode.img
initrd /initramfs-linux.img
options luks.uid=deviceUUID luks.name=cryptlvm root=UUID=root_partition_uuid rw

On the emergency shell I tried to search for logs, but dmesg is not displaying error or warning about the device..

#6 2020-12-25 09:11:00

spcter

Hi,

Finally, I've solved the problem, the las issue I wrote wasnt related to the encryption itself, but sata mode, changed from RAID to AHCI and know is boots correctly.
Read here https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/De … _15_(7590) (not the same model but it works).

Could you mark thread as solved please?

Thanks!

#7 2020-12-25 10:07:16

kermit63

spcter wrote:

Could you mark thread as solved please?

The protocol in this forum is for you to prepend [solved] by editing the title of your own thread.

Board footer