You are not logged in.

#1 2020-12-25 17:05:31

Adrian2895

How do you deal to install outdated packages?

Hi everyone!

So, I have used Arch for a few weeks and honestly, I have loved it. However, I have faced some issues which has made me switch back to a Debian based distro... I'm posting this topic because I want to know how you guys deal with this and if you could give me some advice, so then I can decide to switch back to Arch or not, as I prefer Arch's package manager.

My issues were with AUR. For example, I needed to install a package, but the installation failed due to being an outdated package. I honestly don't like this, because I have to rely on an unofficial package maintainer... Unfortunately, the package has been outdated for two months, so it's not worth waiting until the maintainer fixes it, since he's not going to repair it within few days probably.

Let's imagine one day I'm in a hurry to get a software, and I can't due to being an outdated package. What do I do in this case?

Is there maybe any way to force installation of outdated packages using yay? How do you guys deal with this?

Thank you in advance!

#2 2020-12-25 17:32:35

Scimmia
Fellow

Re: How do you deal to install outdated packages?

I update it myself. It's usually trivial, and the pacman packaging system is really straight forward.

#3 2020-12-25 17:40:14

Adrian2895

Scimmia wrote:

I update it myself. It's usually trivial, and the pacman packaging system is really straight forward.

Do you mean you update the package on AUR? Are you allowed to do that even when you're not the package maintainer?

#4 2020-12-25 17:47:15

Scimmia
Fellow

Sounds like you've got to yay without having any idea how things actually work. You can do whatever you want locally. Start here: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ar … Repository

Board footer