You are not logged in.

#1 2020-12-30 18:56:25

tikhon03

Cannot Ping anything after connecting with wifi [SOLVED]

Hi,

I have been using arch linux for the past 3 months, and linux distros in general since 2010. I recently purchased a Lenovo Ideapad Flex 5 and am trying to install arch linux on it.

First, I ran into the problem that the live CD would not boot. I discovered that I needed the most recent Linux Kernel to support the AMD Ryzen 4000U (the live CD from 3 months ago had an earlier kernel version). I downloaded the most recent arch linux CD image, burned it and was able to boot from the live CD, so that problem was solved.

Next I started working my way through the installation steps. efivars... fine. But then I ran into issues setting up wifi.

Driver status:

02:00.0 Network controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8822CE 802.11ac PCIe Wireless Network Adapter
             Subsystem: Lenovo Device c123
             Kernel driver in use: rtw88_8822ce
             Kernel modules: rtw88_8822ce, wl

Interfaces

#ip link
wlan0 <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisk noqueue state Down mode Dormant group default qlen 1000
link/ether 8c:c8:4b:94:c9:57 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff

The other interface is lo. There is no ethernet interface. After going through the steps for iwctl, I get

iwd# station wlan0 show
	Scanning		no
	State			connected
	Connected network	SSID
iwd#quit
# ip link show dev wlan0
2: wlan0 <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisk noqueue state UP mode Dormant group default qlen 1000
link/ether 8c:c8:4b:94:c9:57 brd ff: ff: ff: ff : ff : ff
#ip addr show dev wlan0
2: wlan0 <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisk noqueue state UP mode Dormant group default qlen 1000
link/ether 8c:c8:4b:94:c9:57 brd ff: ff: ff: ff : ff : ff
inet6 fe80::8ec8:4bff:fe94:c967/64 scope link
	valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever

Ping Archlinux

#ping archlinux.org
ping: archlinux.org: Name or service not known

Ping my printer

#ping 192.168.2.102
ping: connect: Network is unreachable

Note that I have several wifi extenders setup, each with a unique ip-address and ssid. The printer and laptop are supposedly connected to the same one, which has default gateway 192.168.2.1.

ip route

returns nothing. So I guess I am connected, but don't have a valid ip cofiguration. So next I tried

#dhcpcd
dhcpcd-9.3.3 starting
dev: loaded udev
DUID 00:04:10:f1:6f:de:94:70:11:ea:87:dd:8c:c8:4b:94:c9:68
wlan0: connected to Access Point: [my-ssid]
wlan0: IAID 4b:94:c9:67
wlan0: soliciting DHCP lease
wlan0: soliciting an IPv6 router
wlan0: no IPv6 Routers available
forked to background, child pid 1293
timed out

Pinging still does not work, and ip route is still blank. I then tried rebooting -- again with the live CD -- and used the wpa_supplicant method instead, https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/wpa_supplicant, which is the method that worked for me when I setup arch linux on my other computer. I created the file, then activated the interface

#wpa_supplicant -B -i wlan0 -c /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
Successfully initialized wpa_supplicant
n180211: kernel reports: Match already configured

I guess I should have dealt with the kernel report, but I moved on.

#wpa_cli
> scan
OK
<3>CTRL-EVENT-SCAN-STARTED
<3>CTRL-EVENT-SCAN-RESULTS
<3>WPS-AP-AVAILABLE
<3>CTRL-EVENT-NETWORK-NOT-FOUND
> scan_results
bssid / frequency / signal level / flags / ssid
20:0d:b0:66:d1:07 2447 -26 [WPA2-PSK-CCMP][ESS]  my-ssid
>add_network
>set_network 0 ssid “my-ssid”
>set_network 0 psk “my-psk”
>enable_network
OK
<3>CTRL-EVENT-REGDOM-CHANGE init=BEACON_HINT type=UNKNOWN
<3>CTRL-EVENT-SCAN-RESULTS
<3>WPS-AP-AVAILABLE
<3>SME: trying to authenticate with 20:0d:b0:66:d1:07 (SSID=’myssid’ frq=2447 Mhz)
> [589.255996] rtw_8822ce 0000:02:00.0: failed to do dpk calibration
<3> Trying to associate with 20:0d:b0:66:d1:07 (SSID=’myssid’ frq=2447 Mhz)
<3> Associated with  20:0d:b0:66:d1:07
<3> CTRL-EVENT-SUBNET-STATUS-UPDATE status=0
<3> WPA: Key negotiation completed with 20:0d:b0:66:d1:07 [PTK=CCMP GTK=CCMP]
<3> CTRL-EVENT-CONNECTED – Connection to 20:0d:b0:66:d1:07 completed [id=0 id_str=]
>save_config
OK
> quit

But, it is the same issue as before: I can't ping archlinux.org, and I can't even ping my own printer. Is it an issue with the driver? Do I need to hard code the ip address configuration? Please keep in mind, that the new laptop does not have an ethernet port, so any suggested fix will have to rely on what is available on the live cd until I can get the wifi working. Also since I have to access these forums from a different computer, I can't copy and paste. All of the commands and outputs above were copied manually, so beware of typos. Thanks for the help.

Last edited by tikhon03 (2021-01-18 15:44:04)

#2 2020-12-30 19:06:00

Slithery
Administrator

Re: Cannot Ping anything after connecting with wifi [SOLVED]

Did you install the linux-firmware package?

Which guide did you follow to install Arch?

No, it didn't "fix" anything. It just shifted the brokeness one space to the right. - jasonwryan
Closing -- for deletion; Banning -- for muppetry. - jasonwryan

aur - dotfiles

#3 2020-12-30 20:43:08

tikhon03

I followed these instructions: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/installation_guide. So, I have not partitioned, chrooted or anything yet. All I have available is whatever is on the live CD.

#4 2021-01-01 12:58:02

str0gg
Website

Had similar  problem with realtek 882X chips. You gonna need to buy usb-c hub with ethernet embedded. After successful system install with lts kernel it should be working. For now You have to forget about vanilla kernels because driver will be in this unknown state...

#5 2021-01-02 16:53:12

tikhon03

Thanks for the reply! I had thought about getting a USB-c hub, and thankfully they are not that expensive. But so long as I have to purchase something, what about purchasing a different wifi chip? The internal layout of the Lenovo Ideapad flex 5 is very well organized, and I already swapped out the original 512 GB SSD for a 1TB SSD. It would be a piece of cake to swap out the wifi chip as well. Is there a wifi chip at least as good as the Realtek 8822ce that would not have the Kernel issues? If not then I will go for the USB ethernet adapter approach. Thank you.

#6 2021-01-09 15:18:12

tikhon03

I did some research on wifi chips and I upgraded to an OKN WiFi 6 AX200 (an Intel Chip). I also purchase a usb Ethernet adapter, just in case I end up somewhere where wifi is spotty. In hindsight it looks like the wifi chip may not have been the issue: the error above is also capable of occurring with the new Intel chip if I connect to one of the wifi repeaters. However, if I connect to the main router (different SSID), then there is no issue. So, if anyone else runs into the same issue as above, and you have a setup like mine with one or more repeaters connected to a main router, you should try connecting to the main router before blaming the firmware of your wifi chip. I still have no regrets about the new chip though, since it is an upgrade to wifi 6. Anyway, once I had internet access I was able to complete the installation.

Other people trying to install arch linux on an ideapad flex 5 with an AMD radeon need to remember to install xf86-video-amdgpu during the installation process, either by

pacstrap /mnt base linux linux-firmware xf86-video-amdgpu

or by using pacman after chrooting to the new system. More documentation can be found here:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Le … _5_(Ryzen)
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Le … _5_15are05
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Tablet_PC
I still do not have certain things like automatic screen rotation working yet, but I am not finished experimenting with the configuration options. In any case, the original issue with wifi is now solved.

Board footer