You are not logged in.

#1 2020-12-31 03:29:42

omernaveedxyz

[Solved] Video display tearing upon wake from hibernate

Hello, I have a Dell XPS 15 running dwm with startx. I have followed the guide on the official wiki (https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Intel_Graphics) to setup my Intel graphics and disable my discrete gpu. When I play videos be it on Youtube from a browser or through MPV locally, I will experience noticeable display tearing if I have previously opened my laptop from sleep. From a cold reboot there is no tearing but once awoken from sleep it becomes blatant and quite annoying.

Following the Wiki, I have:
- Installed mesa and xf86-video-intel
- Enabled early KMS and GuC / HuC firmware loading using /etc/modprobe.d/i915.conf
- Configured /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf properly with only `Driver 'Intel'` and `Option 'TearFree' 'true'`

Update:
Ended up reinstalling and just working step-by-step to figure out graphics. Seemed to just need to enable hardware acceleration
- Uninstalled xf86-video-intel
- Enable GuC / HuC firmware loading
- Removed /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf
- Hardware acceleration by libva-intel-driver
- Set mkv hwdec=auto
- Reinstalled xf86-video-intel w/o 20-intel.conf

Forum links:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Intel_graphics
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ha … tion#Intel

Last edited by omernaveedxyz (2021-02-12 07:32:52)

#2 2020-12-31 04:14:00

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: [Solved] Video display tearing upon wake from hibernate

omernaveedxyz wrote:

- Installed ... xf86-video-intel

The wiki advises against generally using the xf86-video-intel driver - and myself and most users I know familiar with intel graphics would be even more direct about it: that driver causes problems in virtually all systems now, remove it (and the xorg.conf file for it).

Last edited by Trilby (2020-12-31 04:15:58)

"UNIX is simple and coherent" - Dennis Ritchie; "GNU's Not Unix" - Richard Stallman

#3 2020-12-31 04:17:32

omernaveedxyz

Trilby wrote:
omernaveedxyz wrote:

- Installed ... xf86-video-intel

The wiki advises against generally using the xf86-video-intel driver - and myself and most users I know familiar with intel graphics would be even more direct about it: that driver causes problems in virtually all systems now, remove it (and the xorg.conf file for it).

The reason I'm using xf86-video-intel is that it fixed the initial display tearing that I was experiencing. If I remove it, the tearing comes back regardless of if I wake from sleep or just load from a cold reboot. Loading the driver from xorg.conf and enabling TearFree fixes that for me.

Last edited by omernaveedxyz (2020-12-31 04:18:28)

#4 2020-12-31 04:20:24

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Ah, ok - so you are on one of the very few systems where that driver helps.  In that case, have you tried specifying the acceleration method in your xorg.conf for it?

"UNIX is simple and coherent" - Dennis Ritchie; "GNU's Not Unix" - Richard Stallman

#5 2020-12-31 04:33:17

omernaveedxyz

Trilby wrote:

Ah, ok - so you are on one of the very few systems where that driver helps.  In that case, have you tried specifying the acceleration method in your xorg.conf for it?

Just tested, also introduces display tearing on cold boot. Tested both UXA and BLT

Last edited by omernaveedxyz (2020-12-31 04:34:13)

#6 2020-12-31 07:15:48

kokoko3k

Edit
Since IF you've problems only after hibernation and not after suspend to ram, i'd try to disable early KMS before trying anything else.
/Edit

I use xf86-video-intel on an Haswell cpu with sna acceleration, because modesetting stutters on video playback for me;
also, I don't use the  tearfree option and i've  triplebuffering is disabled.
Vsync is handled by kwin compositor for me with excellent results.

Since the performance penalty of using the tearfree option is the same of using a compositor, you may want to try picom compositor instead, which has a lot of methods to try to eliminate tearing.

PS: you can try picom with modesetting too.

Last edited by kokoko3k (2020-12-31 12:24:41)

Help me to improve ssh-rdp !
Retroarch User? Try my koko-aio shader !

#7 2020-12-31 10:35:18

seth

kokoko3k wrote:

Since you've problems after hibernation and not after suspend to ram

That's actually not established:

omernaveedxyz wrote:

I will experience noticeable display tearing if I have previously opened my laptop from sleep. From a cold reboot there is no tearing but once awoken from sleep it becomes blatant and quite annoying.

@omernaveedxyz, please post a complete system journal and the xorg log after you triggered the problem.
Also the output of "loginctl session-status" so we know the environment (compositor etc.)
Also ensure to read https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/In … cs#Tearing and try the playback behavior w/

mpv -vo=gpu --video-sync=display-resample video.mp4

#8 2021-01-31 13:32:57

drihti

omernaveedxyz wrote:

- Enable GuC / HuC firmware loading
- Removed /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf
- Hardware acceleration by libva-intel-driver

Thx , this solved my problem to...
... on my Asus VivoBook Pro 15 (n580) with:

> lspci -k | grep VGA
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation HD Graphics 630 (rev 04)
        Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device 1a10
        Kernel driver in use: i915

Board footer