You are not logged in.

#1 2021-01-04 20:29:41

pale_lamp

[SOLVED] Webcam microphone not working with MS Teams

Long time lurker, first time poster...

I've been using Microsoft Teams on my Arch laptop for a while without problems. Now I'm trying to get it to work on my desktop, also running Arch.

It works fine, except that the built in microphone of my webcam does not work, no sound is recorded (or at least not sent). (Teams recognizes the microphone though, it's in the drop down of available devices.) The webcam is of the brand "Lovebay", and was, well, extremely cheap, but it works fine (both audio and video) in other apps.

I realize this is probably Teams' fault, but if anyone has had the same problem and found a solution, or has any good ideas about how to diagnose microphone problems, let me know! Thanks.

Last edited by pale_lamp (2021-01-05 18:47:49)

#2 2021-01-04 20:52:01

V1del
Forum Moderator

Re: [SOLVED] Webcam microphone not working with MS Teams

sudo fuser -v /dev/snd/*
pacmd list-sources
pacmd list-source-outputs

in

[code]code tags[/code]

during a recording attempt

Teams is a electron application, they'd have to actively fuck up pretty hard to mess something up here.

Last edited by V1del (2021-01-04 20:53:31)

#3 2021-01-04 20:55:20

ewaller
Administrator

If you install and run pavucontrol, does the microphone show up.  Is there any activity in the peak meter for that input.  If not, can you start a mixer and ensure that input is not muted?

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#4 2021-01-05 18:51:55

pale_lamp

Tried out the suggestions above, without success, microphone did not show up.

Got hold of a new, better, webcam, everything is working fine.

I do remember the old webcam working with other apps, so it must presumably have broken just now. Takeaway: don't buy cheap webcams.

Board footer